McDowell's wives or lovers?

Use this forum to discuss the October Book of the Month "McDowell" by William H. Coles.
BLESSING NGOZIKA
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: McDowell's wives or lovers?

Post by BLESSING NGOZIKA »

McDowell loved nothing but himself... I strongly believe he liked Carole the least because he only cared for those who attended to his needs......
HollandBlue
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hollandblue.html
Latest Review: It's Hard to Be a Vampire by Viktoria Faust
2024 Reading Goal: 24
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by HollandBlue »

Dael Reader wrote: 11 Oct 2018, 18:37 I don't think he really cared for any of them. The only person McDowell really cared about was himself. He seemed to be indifferent to everyone else. He tolerated those who served his needs, when they served his needs. Otherwise, he probably never gave a second thought to any of them.
I agree with this view.
:techie-studyinggray: when I get a little money I buy books; and if I have any left l buy food and clothes
Desiderius Erasmus Roterodamas
(1466-1536)
Radiant3
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: Healing Your Attachment Wounds
Currently Reading: Love Is
Bookshelf Size: 145
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-radiant3.html
Latest Review: Love Is by Kim Sorrelle

Post by Radiant3 »

I think he liked Carole the least. He had become indifferent to her to the point where he really did not care how she felt. In terms of love, I think he cared the most for Hulga. In time, he probably would have developed strong feelings for Winona.
Jacci
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jacci.html
Latest Review: The Unbound Soul by Richard L. Haight

Post by Jacci »

Too bad for this situation, but this is already the trend of the world. All i can say is, this man is playing polygamy after he was married. He never understand what is the essence of marraige.
:cooking: :cooking: reading while cooking is the best! :techie-reference: :lol2:
ShailaSheshadri
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shailasheshadri.html
Latest Review: Who Told You That You Were Naked? by William Combs

Post by ShailaSheshadri »

If you ask me about McDowell's female relationships, I think he was an opportunistic person in this matter. I am sure he liked Rima, his companion in Nepal the most. Once, he even thought of divorcing his wife for the sake of continuing his relationship with Rima. He always talked good things about her. Though he had sexual encounters with many other women, his liking for them was short-lived. The women he liked the least was Carole, his wife. It appears as he married her just for the sake of providing a guardian to his children from his previous marriage. As told earlier, he was ready for divorce with her.
Cristina Chifane
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Magic Mountain
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 898
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristina-chifane.html
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Cristina Chifane »

I am not sure if he loved the mother of his children or not, but, otherwise, he seems incapable of genuinely loving a woman or fully dedicating himself to a woman. I have to agree with the others that the person he loves most and always wants to protect is himself.
"The madness of writing is the antidote to true madness." (Hanif Kureishi)
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
ochiengjr01
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ochiengjr01.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by ochiengjr01 »

As for me generally, Hiram neither liked his wives nor lovers therefore he just liked himself much. As per my opinion he never had enough time with his third wife Carole and even he don't care devosing with her. So i can guess to some extend Carole is the one who was littly liked.
Moddesser Elahi
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Power of Now
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-moddesser-elahi.html
Latest Review: Then Comes The Flood by John Payne

Post by Moddesser Elahi »

McDowell was married thrice. He did not seem to be a very responsible husband. However, in the second part of the story, he had more self-realization which helped him to form sincere relationships with the ladies that he came across at that time.
PANACEA - Please do not overvalue your body and mind! Just be life! :dance:
lara_haelterman
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lara-haelterman.html

Post by lara_haelterman »

I think he liked Winona the most and Carole the least. He treated Carole like she meant nothing to him. I don't understand why he married her at all. For Winona, we primarily get to read her side of things but not really Hiram's side so I can't be sure if they would have formed a good, healthy couple.
Little_one11
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-little-one11.html

Post by Little_one11 »

He didn't care of anyone. He treated women like object, wich I disliked that while reading the book.
Ekta Kumari
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Rebecca
Currently Reading: Kafka On The Shore
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ekta-kumari.html
Latest Review: Humanity Must Survive the 21st Century by Theodore Vornicu
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Ekta Kumari »

He treated his wives like trash. He only seemed to take interest in his lovers, and that too for his selfish reasons. Maybe due to lack of regular contact and touch, his interest didn't veer from his lovers. Otherwise, he treated all women like objects. Real care was never there.
"Words dazzle and deceive because they are mimed by the face. But black words on a white page are the soul laid bare."

-Guy de Maupassant
Shalu1707
Favorite Book: The Vampire Diaries
Currently Reading: If Life Stinks, Get Your Head Outta Your But's
Bookshelf Size: 74
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shalu1707.html

Post by Shalu1707 »

I don't think he loved any of his wives, he married just to show to the society that he is a family man. He never loved them. But I think in the second part he did had some feelings for Hulga and could have stayed with her if he was not on the run.
Theresa Moffitt
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-theresa-moffitt.html
Latest Review: Royal Gossip by Trisha Goodwin
2024 Reading Goal: 20
2024 Goal Completion: 30%

Post by Theresa Moffitt »

I don’t think he really cared for the women in the book. I think his motives were always so self centered that I doubt be really thought about them unless he was with them at that moment. He started to change toward the end of the book but I still don’t think he thought much of women except for his daughter
Zora C Penter
Currently Reading: Every Ghost Has Its Story
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zora-c-penter.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Zora C Penter »

I kind of wonder what all these women saw in Hiram. Then I remember that they are fictional and quite often artificially desperate in their portrayal.
Zora C Penter
Currently Reading: Every Ghost Has Its Story
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zora-c-penter.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Zora C Penter »

Theresam wrote: 15 Dec 2018, 01:13 I don’t think he really cared for the women in the book. I think his motives were always so self centered that I doubt be really thought about them unless he was with them at that moment. He started to change toward the end of the book but I still don’t think he thought much of women except for his daughter
Agreed! But even with Sophie, Hiram often was very derisive or combative in his inner thoughts toward her. I also feel that he automatically needed to make sure she was taken care of because of her female status.

Return to “Discuss "McDowell" by William H. Coles”