Should Kitsy have told?

Use this forum to discuss the October Book of the Month "McDowell" by William H. Coles.
Zora C Penter
Currently Reading: Every Ghost Has Its Story
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zora-c-penter.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Re: Should Kitsy have told?

Post by Zora C Penter »

She was mistrustful of him from the start. I don't necessarily agree with her actions, but they do seem true to her character.
BelleReadsNietzsche
Currently Reading: The Handmaid's Tale
Bookshelf Size: 300
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bellereadsnietzsche.html
Latest Review: I Can See Peace by Julie Penshorn
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by BelleReadsNietzsche »

I don’t think Kitsy should have told but it’s hard for me to truly blame her. She was unconscious during Hiram’s saving her life; even though she’s been told about it, I have to think it can be a hard thing for her to fully understand the depth of.

The fact that he is wanted for murder- that’s a serious thing, and someone can be charming and helpful in the right circumstances and still capable of cold-blooded killing (unfortunately). So that’s why it’s hard for me to blame Kitsy.

However, I wonder how realistic it is that Hiram be sentenced for murder. With the assets available to him as well as his own reputation and Jeremy’s circumstances/actions, I bet he could have pled that down. I guess I could buy that’s he gambled with getting off completely and lost and therefore got stuck with murder on his wrap sheet (spelling?) but...
"The bitter truth we critics must face is that, in the grand scheme of things, the average piece of junk is probably more meaningful than our criticism designating it so." -Ratatouille (2007)
Hiruni Bhagya 81
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hiruni-bhagya-81.html
Latest Review: Randy Love...at your service by Shay Carter

Post by Hiruni Bhagya 81 »

She should have been grateful enough to not to rat on the person who saved her life to the authorities. He was a fugitive. But he didn't harm anyone when he stayed with them and if she was aware enough to recognize him, then she must have realized he's not a murderer whom she should fear. So, what she did was completely against ethic. You just don't harm the person who saved your life.
Kaylee Elmer
Currently Reading: Then Comes The Flood
Bookshelf Size: 92
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaylee-elmer.html
Latest Review: A Life In Another Time by Dr. Wayne Woods

Post by Kaylee Elmer »

I think it was right of Kitsy to tell the authorities about Hiram. She didn't know what crime he had actually committed (if I remember correctly), so why take the risk of having someone so dangerous around her? I would have been terrified if I were her!
Readinggrl18
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-readinggrl18.html
Latest Review: Manasakd by Kelly May Andrews

Post by Readinggrl18 »

I think that everyone he came into contact with should have told the authorities. I can't believe Maud and her family as well as the others in their town tried to protect him. I understand they cared about him, but it is not up to us to decide who should run free or be behind bars. Kitsy may have distrusted him but if I had seen a poster of a wanted criminal who lived in my neighborhood, you better believe I am going to turn them in. Even if they were my best friend or brother.
Stephanie Keener
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-swisskeener.html
Latest Review: Doctoroo! & the Case of the Hacking Hippo by Dr. Rachel B. Wellner

Post by Stephanie Keener »

I was actually shocked that Kitsy told the authorities about McDowell. He had just saved her life. I think she would have been feeling such gratitude and thankfulness for just being alive. And actually, in her medical state, I was surprised that she even stopped to pay attention to or process a wanted poster. Further he had lived around her and Winona for some time, and they had really gotten to know his character. He had proven to be a nice, kind, caring, and helpful neighbor. He repaired numerous things for them and never asked for anything in return.
Smmwallace
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 140
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-smmwallace.html
Latest Review: Cosmander and The Crown by Meade Summers

Post by Smmwallace »

Technically it was the right thing to do, but at that point I was fully invested in McDowell and was disappointed that she turned him in. I was rooting for him because he had truly changed.
Mary Lou Mills
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: Kalayla
Currently Reading: The Buffalo Soldier
Bookshelf Size: 77
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mary-lou-mills.html
Latest Review: Affliction: Growing Up With a Closeted Gay Dad by Laura Hall

Post by Mary Lou Mills »

No. He saved her life. He changed. He was doing good. He wasn't a danger to other people.
Zahraa Kamaz
Currently Reading: McDowell
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zahraa-kamaz.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Zahraa Kamaz »

My thought is McDowell got his friend Karma. He left his friend to face death at first chapter and saved his own life.
Aloe Crane
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aloe-crane.html
Latest Review: First Lessons by Lina J. Potter

Post by Aloe Crane »

jenjayfromSA wrote: 11 Oct 2018, 06:32 I don't believe she should have said anything. She had been around him for some time, she had seen the good he did and the way he helped them all. She should have had faith in her own judgement and the fact that he saved her life. Surely she believed people can change, repent and try to make amends? One wonders if she resented the close relationship that had developed between Pete and Winona. After all, Winona was her friend.
I hadn't even thought of that, but I mean, he's been able to swoon a lot of women. With his, err, better personality, I wouldn't question it. She didn't seem like a snitch in the beginning, and I wouldn't have expected this from Kitsy to be honest.
Jakub Bystrowski
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jakub-bystrowski.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Jakub Bystrowski »

Even if he saved her life, he was still a criminal. She avoided aiding and abetting by doing the right thing.
Mellino Itz
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mellino-itz.html
Latest Review: Good Sexual Hygiene & Spiritual Attitude by Anthony A. Morris

Post by Mellino Itz »

I wouldn't blame Kitsy for alerting the authorities even if I felt I will not have reacted the same way she did. She will definitely come to regret her action.

Return to “Discuss "McDowell" by William H. Coles”