Should Kitsy have told?

Use this forum to discuss the October Book of the Month "McDowell" by William H. Coles.
chelhack
Favorite Book: My Trip To Adele
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 381
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chelhack.html
Latest Review: E-M-P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Re: Should Kitsy have told?

Post by chelhack »

I think that it was still her responsibility to tell. No matter if he did save or life or however she felt about him on a personal level before or after he saved her.
Chelsea N. Hackett
Cristina Chifane
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Magic Mountain
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 898
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristina-chifane.html
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Cristina Chifane »

I have to be honest and confess that the author made me relate to Hiram towards the end of the book, but I don't think it was because of his changing behavior but more because I got used to him and expected more from his story. To put it more simply, I didn't expect Kitsy to report him to the authorities after he saved her life. It was rather unpredictable. If I had been in her shoes, this would have been the last thing I would have thought of.
"The madness of writing is the antidote to true madness." (Hanif Kureishi)
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
SpencerVo
Favorite Book: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spencervo.html
Latest Review: Lola the Buhund and the Father of Discord by Elbot Carman

Post by SpencerVo »

Whether the decision was good or bad depends on your perspective and how much you like Hiram. I understand it was her duty to inform the government about him, but I was a little baffled by how she sold him out... so fast. Shouldn't you at least consider this for a while, especially after that person just saved your life?
It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye.
Tizzy+
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Tizzy+ »

Kitsy should have just turned a blind eye to the authorities ,since McDowell saved her life
Beate Levai
Favorite Book: Final Notice
Currently Reading: the girl who knew da vinci
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-beate-levai.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Post by Beate Levai »

LV2R wrote: 09 Oct 2018, 07:56 Do you think Kitsy should have alerted the authorities about McDowell, even after he saved her life?
Do you think she just always mistrusted McDowell and only thought of one way about him?
Kitsy had decided to report McDowell's whereabouts to the police before having her car crash. When she came around in the hospital, she did not know yet it was McDowell who saved her life. She acted as a decent citizen is required to do. However, I was was a bit dismayed that after having come around it was her first thing to report to the police right from her hospital bed. Had she known who McDowell was in fact, she might have not done so. I think the proverb "Measure twice, cut once" is applicable here. I also think that Kitsy was too docile to think independently. There are a lot of people who simply follow stereotypes like "McDowell is a murderer. Murderers must be reported." Consequently, sooner or later somebody would have given him up to the police.
holsam_87
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 1691
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-holsam-87.html
Latest Review: Herai by Aaron D Key
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by holsam_87 »

I don't think she should have said anything. McDowell should have had a second chance.
Samantha Holtsclaw

“We’ve all got both light and dark inside us. What matters is the part we choose to act on. That’s who we really are.”

—J. K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
Latest Review: Herai by Aaron D Key
bdu15062
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bdu15062.html
Latest Review: Four Funny Potatoes! by Len Foley

Post by bdu15062 »

I was so sad that Kitsy told the authorities after Hiram had just saved her. Though morally I think it was the right choice as he had escaped from prison but she could have offered some warning. After all he did save her life.
Theresa Moffitt
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-theresa-moffitt.html
Latest Review: Royal Gossip by Trisha Goodwin
2024 Reading Goal: 20
2024 Goal Completion: 30%

Post by Theresa Moffitt »

I can see why she did it - she found out who he was and it was probably the right thing to do in that instance but I didn’t like the way it turned out for him
Shrabastee Chakraborty
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Warramunga's War
Currently Reading: Timewise
Bookshelf Size: 1146
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shrabastee-chakraborty.html
Latest Review: The Infinite Passion of Life by D.J. Paolini

Post by Shrabastee Chakraborty »

Although I practically shouted 'Nooooooo! How could you do this?' at Kitsy, I guess she did the right thing. I suppose some mistrust was always there between them, and that augmented her action. But I cannot really blame her for taking a sensible decision considering the circumstances.
mariakavo88
Currently Reading: Raven's Fall
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mariakavo88.html
Latest Review: It's Hard to Be a Vampire by Viktoria Faust
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by mariakavo88 »

I want to say she should not have, but at the same time, she did not know he saved her life at the time. Along with that she saw his name and picture as an escaped convict, convicted of murder. That alone could freak anyone out and most would probably do the same.
Shalu1707
Favorite Book: The Vampire Diaries
Currently Reading: If Life Stinks, Get Your Head Outta Your But's
Bookshelf Size: 74
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shalu1707.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Shalu1707 »

Yes, she was skeptical of him from the start but turned friendly only when she realized that he is not a bad person. But in the hospital when she saw the poster and realized that he was infact a murderer, she alerted the authorities to save herself and her friend from him.
Ursadsong
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ursadsong.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by Ursadsong »

I think Kitsy was being selfish. She knew he saved her life and on top of that she told the authorities? Why wouldn't she trust me him!
Flowers123
Favorite Book: McDowell
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-flowers123.html
Latest Review: Fragments by Bruce K. Berger

Post by Flowers123 »

No, I don't think she did the right thing. My problem with her is the timing. Why call the authorities immediately on someone she knew wasn't a dangerous person. And besides, the man just saved her life. She paid back evil for good. Justice would still have caught up with Hiram, but it should not have come from her at that time.
Jessacardinal
Currently Reading: The Lost Identity Casualties
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessacardinal.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Jessacardinal »

I don’t think Kitsy every fully trusted McDowell. Kitsy’s moral compass doesn’t stray. This is a hard question to answer because I didn’t like Hiram throughout most of the book, however, I was beginning to bond with the character he was becoming. Without giving anything away, I actually teared up while reading the outcome.
"Let's be reasonable and add an eighth day to the week that is devoted exclusively to reading." - Lena Dunham
ShailaSheshadri
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shailasheshadri.html
Latest Review: Who Told You That You Were Naked? by William Combs

Post by ShailaSheshadri »

No. Kitsy should not have told about McDowell to the authorities. Even though McDowell was an escaped prisoner, he showed Kitsy that he is a good person by saving her life. After living with him for a long time and seeing the transformations in him, she should have given him an opportunity to live normally.

Return to “Discuss "McDowell" by William H. Coles”