Is the book reflective of general society currently?

Use this forum to discuss the October Book of the Month "McDowell" by William H. Coles.
serendipity 27
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 286
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-serendipity-27.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Re: Is the book reflective of general society currently?

Post by serendipity 27 »

I think the book is reflective of the fact that there are so many issues with people's mental health that I think it is important we pay more attention to that. I think too Hiram is a key example in how a lot of people are wrapped up in their own world that they don't pay attention to the underlying issues at hand.
jwalker73
Currently Reading: The Good Mother
Bookshelf Size: 291
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jwalker73.html
Latest Review: The Truth About Parallel Lines by Jill D. Block
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by jwalker73 »

I think this is reflective of a small proportion of society. While these characteristics may be more dominant in certain cultures or demographics, such characters are present in every community to varying degrees. I do feel, however, that these people are often a minority and not a reflection of 'general' society.
jenjayfromSA
Currently Reading: First Family
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jenjayfromsa.html
Latest Review: Adrift by Charlie Sheldon
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by jenjayfromSA »

Today there seems to be a greater emphasis on success, celebrity and bling. You need to be seen to be an achiever, which means the A-list, the fancy car, the designer outfits and tweeting on social media from all the best places. Often celebrities have done very little to be treated with such adulation. Fame and fortune seem to be the goals of the new generation. McDowell certainly enjoyed that world and considered that he had more than earned it.
ArriettyClock
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 140
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-arriettyclock.html
Latest Review: The Judge part 1 and 2 by Ian RB Morris

Post by ArriettyClock »

jenjayfromSA wrote: 11 Oct 2018, 06:12 Often celebrities have done very little to be treated with such adulation. Fame and fortune seem to be the goals of the new generation.
I definitely agree with that.... it also seems like it's become easier for people to get to "celebrity status". For example, being on one tv reality show can get someone to be a celebrity for the rest of their lives.
Katherine Smith
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 524">Nancy Drew</a>
Currently Reading: The Complete Tales and Poems of Edgar Allen Poe
Bookshelf Size: 504
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katherine-smith.html
Latest Review: "Whisky tango foxtrot...copy" by John regan
Reading Device: B01KVZV52A

Post by Katherine Smith »

I think that the negative aspects of the book in regards to the treatment of others is reflective of society, but only a piece of it. I son't believe that society is wholly good nor wholly bad, but a combination of both. I believe that writing a book featuring the ugliness of humanity allows to appreciate its beauty and to be more respectful of one another.
Latest Review: "Whisky tango foxtrot...copy" by John regan
Bavithra M
Currently Reading: Inspirience: Meditation Unbound
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bavithra-m.html
Latest Review: The Lost Identity Casualties by Kim Ekemar

Post by Bavithra M »

In my opinion the book is a reflective of current society because just like the characters potrayed in the book people in the society nowadays are also dis-respectful and selfish.
---
ianfrb77
Currently Reading: The Message?
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ianfrb77.html
Latest Review: There and Back There Again by Andrew Alsup

Post by ianfrb77 »

You can relate pretty much any story to society somewhat. But I guess this book does address certain issues that are constantly present in our day-to-day life
Samisah
Currently Reading: Final Notice
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samisah.html
Latest Review: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016 by William H. Coles

Post by Samisah »

I believe most of the characters are relatable. There are a reflection of real life situations. But characters like Ann for instance was over exaggerated.
Moddesser Elahi
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Power of Now
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-moddesser-elahi.html
Latest Review: Then Comes The Flood by John Payne

Post by Moddesser Elahi »

There are few instances in the story which are reflective of the current society. e.g. McDowell's grandson's problem with violence which is similar to what is happening in the USA as reported in the media lately. The situation in Nepal has also been portrayed keeping in mind the truth at the ground level. But more importantly, I felt this book is more reflective of an interesting character's life, the protagonist Hiram Mcdowell.
PANACEA - Please do not overvalue your body and mind! Just be life! :dance:
joshfee77
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 251
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joshfee77.html
Latest Review: In Time Forever by Stefan Raicu

Post by joshfee77 »

I definitely think there are people in current society who are demanding, demeaning and disrespectful (in America they're called the GOP :wink:). We live in a fast-paced, interconnected, on-demand world that unfortunately results in plenty of entitled and arrogant people. Fortunately, they are not the majority... yet...
fernsmom
Favorite Book: Smith
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fernsmom.html
Latest Review: The Easter Make Believers by Finn Bell
Reading Device: 1400698987

Post by fernsmom »

I would say that it may be reflective of some of general society, but not all. To me that is like saying "all people are bad", or "all parents are bad parents". Is it different in society of today than 20 or 50 years ago? That is hard to say as with all the widely spread social media, in addition to other news sources, do we hear more about bad situations than good? In my opinion, yes. Do we hear how someone risked their life to save someone else or is a murder reported? So, I think some of the idea of it being worse currently is just finding out more of the bad than good.
Ijeoma Kikelomo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ijeoma-kikelomo.html
Latest Review: Visions of Prosetry, Collector's Edition II by V&egrave;&egrave; Nelly

Post by Ijeoma Kikelomo »

I think as it is with every fiction, there is always a semblance of reality. So yes I think the book does reflect some aspects of human society. But in realty, things are never all bad.
meadhbh
Currently Reading: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meadhbh.html
Latest Review: The Last Rite by Chad Morgan

Post by meadhbh »

Personally, I think these kinds of horrible things actually happen less now than they used to. We just hear more about them now because of social media and the like, which is a good thing.
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

Certainly these attitudes can be found in any society. But you also can find people who are kind, loving, thoughtful. There are many trying to be good parents. This is true also in the book - contrast Hiram with Pops and Maud.
Ann10
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ann10.html
Latest Review: Apparent Faith by Karl Forehand

Post by Ann10 »

The absent parenting in this book is indicative of today's society. A lot of parents are busy working and preoccupied with their cell phones. This leaves their children to their own devices, literally.

Return to “Discuss "McDowell" by William H. Coles”