Hiram McDowell's "deserved" end?

Use this forum to discuss the October Book of the Month "McDowell" by William H. Coles.
Theresa Moffitt
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-theresa-moffitt.html
Latest Review: Royal Gossip by Trisha Goodwin
2024 Reading Goal: 20
2024 Goal Completion: 30%

Re: Hiram McDowell's "deserved" end?

Post by Theresa Moffitt »

I think it was a hard ending for the main character. I thought it was too Arab for him as he was trying to make anchanxe for that be better and redeem himself.
Fatima_Palacios
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 197
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fatima-palacios.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Knights of Chalethire by Matthew Tysz

Post by Fatima_Palacios »

A G Darr wrote: 31 Oct 2018, 17:43 I don't feel that his end was necessarily "deserved", but I most definitely saw it as poetic. Hiram spent his life blaming others for his misfortune, when his misfortune was actually him reaping what he had sown in his mistreatment of others. He became an actual victim of circumstance when, in the past, he had been the instrument of his own destruction.
totally agree, saying he deserved it is too much but his ending was unavoidable, he knew that his acts will have consequences and they did.
"and if I die trying, then at least I tried."
-Eiichiro Oda (Luffy)
Loveli
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-loveli.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Loveli »

I was surprised by this ending I will admit, but it also makes sense. McDowell made quite a few enemies in his lifetime. Some will say he deserved it. I don't think he did.
TheRVMom
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thervmom.html
Latest Review: Undead Redhead by Jen Frankel

Post by TheRVMom »

I really think, given the fact he was unarmed, he should not have been gunned down. He wasn't putting up a fight and he was unarmed. He should have been arrested and sent back to prison to rot. (I still don't like him.) I'm just not too sure about that sheriff either. Maybe it was for his own personal satisfaction or gratification.
Izzy+
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-izzy.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman

Post by Izzy+ »

No one deserves to be shot dead without a weapon. I wish he could have given a statement to his children or seen them again at least.
Cristina Chifane
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Magic Mountain
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 898
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristina-chifane.html
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Cristina Chifane »

I think in a way Hiram's "end" is the kind of end you would expect for a man like him. Not that killing an unarmed man is justifiable, but I couldn't see any other ending for the life of a man who put himself first most of the time. He actually ended up the same way as he lived his life: alone.
"The madness of writing is the antidote to true madness." (Hanif Kureishi)
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
Zimall
Favorite Author: Atilla K. Zengin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zimall.html
Latest Review: The Sparrow by Denna M. Davis
fav_author_id: 156933

Post by Zimall »

He obviously didn't deserved that end. He was changed and he deserved a second chance, a better life and a better end.
"All That is Gold Does Not Glitter
Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost"
Harley-Panda
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-harley-panda.html
Latest Review: Kennedy's Revenge by Stephen L Rodenbeck

Post by Harley-Panda »

I do feel bad for him (as he had evidently changed his views on life) and his family who wanted to see him one last time. I don't think he should have been killed as he was unarmed, but legally speaking he was convicted and escaped prison so I could understand the law wanting to bring him back in. They shouldn't have done it with such force though, he was unarmed and it was unnecessary (but it is something which happens in real life, unfortunately!)
I go to seek a Great Perhaps
jibby9
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jibby9.html

Post by jibby9 »

I don't believe he deserved death. Perhaps another stint in jail and/or a rehabilitative program, but definitely not to be shot after saving a woman's life. It's hard to pinpoint how guilty we should find him--when I started the book, I hated McDowell but, by the end, I have to say I was sort of rooting for him.
abbiejoice
Currently Reading: Me Before You
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abbiejoice.html
Latest Review: End of the Last Great Kingdom by Victor Rose

Post by abbiejoice »

I think being shot after risking his life in trying to save another person is a testament to the change as well as the redemption in McDowell's character. The book started with him easily letting go another person's life. Here, we get to see a different side to him, one that would risk his own life to save another.
Theresa Moffitt
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-theresa-moffitt.html
Latest Review: Royal Gossip by Trisha Goodwin
2024 Reading Goal: 20
2024 Goal Completion: 30%

Post by Theresa Moffitt »

Dael Reader wrote: 08 Oct 2018, 17:40 I don't think he deserved to be shot down--if he was in fact unarmed and not putting up a fight. I think he deserved to be caught and sent back to prison to accept the consequences of his actions.
I agree - this is how I thought it would end for him- he would be caught and returned to prison to finish his sentence and possibly have his book published. I didn’t like the ending for him in the book
mariakavo88
Currently Reading: Raven's Fall
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mariakavo88.html
Latest Review: It's Hard to Be a Vampire by Viktoria Faust
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by mariakavo88 »

Although Hiram was unethical at times. I do not believe he deserved the ending that he received. I think he did a lot of wrong and he was on the run, but I also believe he was starting to realize his wrong doings and become a better person. I also do not think it was fair to Hiram's family to have their father killed the way he was. They went years without seeing him and never really got the chance to see him one last time or to say goodbye.
Shrabastee Chakraborty
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Warramunga's War
Currently Reading: Timewise
Bookshelf Size: 1146
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shrabastee-chakraborty.html
Latest Review: The Infinite Passion of Life by D.J. Paolini

Post by Shrabastee Chakraborty »

I had tears in my eyes while reading that scene. After I read, I realized that I always knew it is going to come to this. I guess that is what we call poetic justice. However, I would have liked to see him return to the society as a changed person and continue his life. Maybe an epilogue showing the good turns he does to others?
Shalu1707
Favorite Book: The Vampire Diaries
Currently Reading: If Life Stinks, Get Your Head Outta Your But's
Bookshelf Size: 74
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shalu1707.html

Post by Shalu1707 »

I cant judge if he deserved the end or not, but it was disheartening to see him go like this when he was trying to make a life for himself.
Jessacardinal
Currently Reading: The Lost Identity Casualties
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessacardinal.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Jessacardinal »

While I do not agree with the actions of the sheriff, I am not sure the book could have ended as successfully in any different way. Sending Hiram back to prison would have created a dull finale. I didn’t expect the ending the author gave us. I was surprised as to how much it hurt me as a fully invested reader who disliked the character throughout most of the book.
"Let's be reasonable and add an eighth day to the week that is devoted exclusively to reading." - Lena Dunham

Return to “Discuss "McDowell" by William H. Coles”