Hiram McDowell's "deserved" end?

Use this forum to discuss the October Book of the Month "McDowell" by William H. Coles.
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Re: Hiram McDowell's "deserved" end?

Post by kdstrack »

I do not think Hiram "deserved" to be shot. He knew he was evading the law by the extraordinary steps he took to stay in hiding. The ending was not surprising.
Ashley Cremer
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashley-cremer.html
Latest Review: Shot Down by Steve Snyder

Post by Ashley Cremer »

I truly hated the ending of the book. I felt that after all the redemption that McDowell had went through that he deserved a much better end. Maybe a quiet life with a few good friends at a cabin in the woods by a lake. I grew to love McDowell throughout part 2 of the novel and I wish that he could have met a less tragic end.
happynessc0
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-happynessc0.html
Latest Review: Four Funny Potatoes! by Len Foley

Post by happynessc0 »

The ending made me sad. I think it would be awesome if he ended up in a hospital instead after being shot, then afterward, spend his life peacefully with his family.
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci
Bookshelf Size: 2386
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

My answer is probably make me seem like a cold and horrible human being but...
Ok, no, being objective he probably didn't deserve that kind of ending. However, I disliked Hiram so much from the beggining, that even if he redeemed himself, I was never able to feel much empathy for the character, so I didn't feel that sorry for him.
I know that sounds awful but it's how I experienced the book.
Davinasmith18
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-davinasmith18.html
Latest Review: Overcoming Adversity ( Relaunched) by Nelson J Fowlkes

Post by Davinasmith18 »

I did not think it was fair, but I think it made for a good finale to the story. I think the fact that he took the risk to go and save this woman made it harder to accept that his good deed led to his death.
It also goes to show that the author did a clever job of decriminializing McDowell throughout the book because I think I would have felt differently if he was a dangerous hard criminal on the loose.
Onyinye Excel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-onyinye-excel.html
Latest Review: The Different Kinds Of Monsters by Seth Chambers

Post by Onyinye Excel »

I was disappointed with how he died. Infact I see a need for an investigation into his death. I don't trust that sheriff. I would have loved for him to get a second chance at life. I would have loved for his own side to be heard by the world while he was still alive. He wasn't a wicked man. Just a man who didn't know better.
P Reefer
Favorite Book: The Lost Identity Casualties
Currently Reading: De Facto Feminisn
Bookshelf Size: 159
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-p-reefer.html
Latest Review: The McCoys Before The Feud by Thomas McCoy

Post by P Reefer »

Hiriam's end was quite tragic and in no way deserved. I would have simply wished that he was never discovered and left to live his new low key life.
P Reefer
Favorite Book: The Lost Identity Casualties
Currently Reading: De Facto Feminisn
Bookshelf Size: 159
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-p-reefer.html
Latest Review: The McCoys Before The Feud by Thomas McCoy

Post by P Reefer »

LV2R wrote: 07 Oct 2018, 23:28 The ending actually made me almost cry because it didn't seem justified to shoot Hiram down like he was. We didn't get the actual scene of the gunning down of Hiram, but he was unarmed. The ending shows how the law and public might still be viewing Hiram as a murdered and a dangerous fugitive when many others did not see Hiram liked that at all.
I concur with these sentiments.
asere_maryanne
Currently Reading: Source
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-asere-maryanne.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by asere_maryanne »

He suddenly did not deserve to die the way he did. If he was unharmed, he wasn't that big of a threat, he could have been shot on the leg at least then be arrested, or just one bullet should have sufficed. I believe the sheriff was a sadist.
Radiant3
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: Healing Your Attachment Wounds
Currently Reading: Love Is
Bookshelf Size: 145
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-radiant3.html
Latest Review: Love Is by Kim Sorrelle

Post by Radiant3 »

I did not appreciate the ending. It seemed inconsistent with the rest of the book.
Maria-Goretti Amarachi Okechi - Catherine
Currently Reading: Grace Revealed
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-catherine-amarachi.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by Maria-Goretti Amarachi Okechi - Catherine »

In my own view, I would say that Hiram's death wasn't a deserving ending for him. For Christ sake, he was human, he had done many wrongs in his life time and he has come to repent from his bad ways. For me, I would say that he didn't deserve to die rather he was meant to be arrested and then his memoir and diary and the biography Paige was writing about him would have actually testified about his change. He would have continued living.
A G Darr
Currently Reading: Roadmap to the end of days
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-a-g-darr.html
Latest Review: Debt Cleanse by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by A G Darr »

I don't feel that his end was necessarily "deserved", but I most definitely saw it as poetic. Hiram spent his life blaming others for his misfortune, when his misfortune was actually him reaping what he had sown in his mistreatment of others. He became an actual victim of circumstance when, in the past, he had been the instrument of his own destruction.
ShailaSheshadri
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shailasheshadri.html
Latest Review: Who Told You That You Were Naked? by William Combs

Post by ShailaSheshadri »

Absolutely no. I wanted a dignified death to McDowell. I never considered him as a bad guy. Though he showed a few shortcomings, there are many positive features to his character. He was an intelligent and honest surgeon. The circumstances would have forced him to take harsh decisions at times. But, he never destroyed any person or a family. He served the society as a surgeon and a philanthropist. He built a hospital in Nepal that treated poor patients. Even when roaming as a fugitive, he guided his children remotely and helped many people.
Hiruni Bhagya 81
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hiruni-bhagya-81.html
Latest Review: Randy Love...at your service by Shay Carter

Post by Hiruni Bhagya 81 »

I don't agree with the way Hiram met his end. Just when he was turning a new leaf and learning about the truth of life, he met an untimely death. It would have been better if he was given a chance at a new life away from his past.
edith38
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-edith38.html
Latest Review: Of Illusions and Ink Spills by Divya Hirani
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by edith38 »

I think the author went for the only possible ending, McDowell's death. Though the way he wrote it could have been better. For now, it reads as it aims to make a martyr out of him for a reader. There was very little heroic about Hiram. His one truly selfless act got him killed. Did he deserve this kind of ending? probably not. That's where the criticism for a society comes in. Wrongfully presenting partial or tilted info (calling an assisted suicide a shoot-on-sight murder) however is a different topic.

Return to “Discuss "McDowell" by William H. Coles”