Is Hiram McDowell a bad father?

Use this forum to discuss the October Book of the Month "McDowell" by William H. Coles.
Surabhi Rani
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Demonslayer
Bookshelf Size: 1880
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-surabhi-rani.html
Latest Review: How To Decorate Cookies With Your Kids in an Afternoon by Micah Rhodes
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Re: Is Hiram McDowell a bad father?

Post by Surabhi Rani »

The fact of McDowell's daughter Sophie thriving in life at the end of the story fighting all odds, leads me to think of McDowell as an overshadowing father figure. His concern for son Billie (in whatever possible ways) and daughter Anne in life is reflected in the story too!
Nusrat_Shabnam_
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nusrat-shabnam.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by Nusrat_Shabnam_ »

Sushan wrote: 03 Oct 2018, 12:19 As a person his personality is corrupted. So his fatherhood is also affected by that. This influenced his children a lot and when it is seen in that angle, yes he is a bad father
I completely agree with you. He's an worse father in my opinion.
booklysis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-booklysis.html
Latest Review: Pastoring is not what you think by Elijah Oladimeji

Post by booklysis »

LaurenHaupt wrote: 05 Oct 2018, 08:30 He's not a bad father but he could be a better one. He has spent time with his kids even though he should take more part in their lives at times. He also wasn't much of a role model either. It is probably good his kids didn't spend a lot of time with him.
Yup! You are so right on this!
Shrabastee Chakraborty
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Warramunga's War
Currently Reading: Timewise
Bookshelf Size: 1146
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shrabastee-chakraborty.html
Latest Review: The Infinite Passion of Life by D.J. Paolini

Post by Shrabastee Chakraborty »

I cannot at all say he was a good father. He was absent for the most part. Even when present, he seemed disinterested in an odd way. His behaviour towards hia stepdaughters was nothing short of disgusting. Among his own children, he probably cared a little for Billie. He even thinks of Sophie and Ann as high-maintenance. All in all, I am bound to say his parenting skills were a complete failure (not that he will mind).
Ekta Kumari
Favorite Book: Rebecca
Currently Reading: Kafka On The Shore
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ekta-kumari.html
Latest Review: Humanity Must Survive the 21st Century by Theodore Vornicu
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Ekta Kumari »

I do not think he was a bad father. He did cared for his children in his own way. Only thing he didn't understand was how his children wanted his presence more than his money. He had no understanding of how his children wanted him to love them and be there for them; there was definitely huge lack of communication.
"Words dazzle and deceive because they are mimed by the face. But black words on a white page are the soul laid bare."

-Guy de Maupassant
Shalu1707
Favorite Book: The Vampire Diaries
Currently Reading: If Life Stinks, Get Your Head Outta Your But's
Bookshelf Size: 74
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shalu1707.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Shalu1707 »

He was not a perfect father but he was not totally bad at it. He did progressed in this field with time.
Theresa Moffitt
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-theresa-moffitt.html
Latest Review: Royal Gossip by Trisha Goodwin
2024 Reading Goal: 20
2024 Goal Completion: 30%

Post by Theresa Moffitt »

HollandBlue wrote: 02 Oct 2018, 10:36 I think in the beginning of the book he's too self-centered to be a good father.
I agree - he was most selfish in the beginning as the book progressed he seemed to show more concern for the children and tried to help them financially at least
Ehartl
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ehartl.html
Latest Review: The Dark Web Murders by Brian O'Hare

Post by Ehartl »

Hiram McDowell, by the end of the book, has the potential to be a good father. However, in the beginning, he is too selfish to be considered a good parent. I never had any doubt that he loved his children, but he cared more about himself than his family. A selfish man was his first impression on the reader and, for me at least, that view of him never really changed.
KRay93
Currently Reading: The Bourne Identity
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kray93.html
Latest Review: Non-Disclosure by George Dapra

Post by KRay93 »

It is very difficult to consider him a good father since he is a very selfish man, but I do not know if I can call him a "bad father". Still, throughout the book, one can see the negative consequences of his children's uprising, especially Ann, although Billie and Sophie are more or less able to get ahead in the end in spite of Hiram's mistakes.
Moray_001
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-moray-001.html
Latest Review: Of All Faiths & None by Andrew Tweeddale

Post by Moray_001 »

He seemed a bit nonchalant at the beginning. I also didn’t understand why he didn’t lay more emphasis to discourage Billie from showing interest in his stepsisters. I feel he was too lenient. He showed some parental authority when Sophie was to travel with Ivana and he supported her and Billie but I feel most of his support was financial and not really moral and in other aspects.
Highly Favoured One
Currently Reading: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by Highly Favoured One »

Where is the leadership? Where is the role model in him? Where is the aspect of protecting his family? Where is the aspect of being emotionally present? I think that to be labelled a "good father" the bar is set pretty high and he does not come near. There is hope towards the end though where he considers mending his ways.
Jessacardinal
Currently Reading: The Lost Identity Casualties
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessacardinal.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Jessacardinal »

Hiram has spotty moments of successful fathering throughout the first half of this book. He is financially supportive when he can be. He helps Sophie, in his own my-way-or-the-highway-way, get her life back on track after June leaves her in shambles. He seems to have moments of caring about what goes on in Billie's life. Nonetheless, regardless of a few out-of-character fathering moments from Hiram, he is not a father I would want for myself.
"Let's be reasonable and add an eighth day to the week that is devoted exclusively to reading." - Lena Dunham
Hiruni Bhagya 81
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hiruni-bhagya-81.html
Latest Review: Randy Love...at your service by Shay Carter

Post by Hiruni Bhagya 81 »

He's an absentee father. But that doesn't mean he have no care for his children. He provides them with everything except love. Because of this he thinks of himself as a good father. It's just his way of showing affection by supporting them monetarily.
Choine
Currently Reading: Cinder
Bookshelf Size: 76
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-choine.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman
Reading Device: 1400699894

Post by Choine »

Hiram definitely has his priorities in the wrong order. I'm not sure whether or not to classify him as a bad father or just someone who doesn't know who or what to put first. His love for his children is glaringly obvious, although he has a unique way of showing it. It was easy for me to see how he struggled with the more-sensitive side of him when he talked to Maud. These scenes with Maud helped me to understand that he's just a guy who doesn't know how to show affection towards others, and the stubborn portion of him doesn't really want to.
Kansas City Teacher
Review Team Admin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kansas-city-teacher.html
Latest Review: Project: 211 by Sammy Maida

Post by Kansas City Teacher »

This is one of those books you have to read all the way to the end. He is very flawed in the beginning but seems to spend the rest of the life making up for the mistakes. He was not a good role model for his son, but his daughter seemed to have a bond with him. Good question!

Return to “Discuss "McDowell" by William H. Coles”