Physician Assisted Suicide

Use this forum to discuss the October Book of the Month "McDowell" by William H. Coles.
KRay93
2018 Reading Goal: 0
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 0
2017 Reading Goal: 0
Currently Reading: Winning the War on Cancer
Bookshelf Size: 96
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kray93.html
Latest Review: Me and Mario by Carol Gino

Re: Physician Assisted Suicide

Post by KRay93 » 20 Dec 2018, 18:00

I doubt that a person in a vegetative state (to give an example) has many desires to have a horrifying quality of life like the one that awaits him or her. As with abortion and capital punishment, I believe there are cases in which it is morally acceptable to end a life. Of course, the matter is reduced to the person making that decision, his mental state, and his own judgment as well as that of the society or the group of people with whom he lives, not to mention the rules of coexistence under which they are all ruled.

SamSim
2019 Reading Goal: 120
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 1
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 24
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 212
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samsim.html
Latest Review: The Scary Snow Day by Kyle Derby Pratt
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by SamSim » 21 Dec 2018, 10:46

Dolor wrote:
01 Oct 2018, 10:01
In my own opinion, mercy killing is still a crime.
My thoughts exactly!
Samantha Simoneau

“But upon the stage of life, while conscience claps, let the world hiss! On the contrary if conscience disapproves, the loudest applauses of the world are of little value."
~John Adams :greetings-clapyellow:

BookishCreature
2018 Reading Goal: 50
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 90
2017 Reading Goal: 0
Currently Reading: Travels with Vamper
Bookshelf Size: 244
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookishcreature.html
Latest Review: Crowning the Slug Queen by L.M. Fortin

Post by BookishCreature » 23 Dec 2018, 18:39

I am completely for physician-assisted suicide if the patient is of sound mind and has gone through some therapy sessions with a trained counselor to be absolutely sure that s/he wants to end his or her life. We allow our pets the dignity of a painless death instead of a horrible, prolonged decline - I think people deserve the same.

Highly Favoured One
Currently Reading: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by Highly Favoured One » 25 Dec 2018, 17:09

The only person with the right to take away life is the One who gave it - God. Issues of suicide and euthanasia are indeed painful and complicated, but no-one should try to put themselves in the place of God to decide who gets to live and who doesnt. Our role should be to do our best to preserve life and ease suffering every way we can, and support those affected by life issues.

Beatus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-beatus.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman

Post by Beatus » 28 Dec 2018, 18:26

What I see here is that we perceive death to be bad and life to be good. The arguments are presented within this parameter. However, there are a lot of factors that are not known like the will and reason to live, death, life (probably all of us don't even know what life means), etc. Moreover, some factors are not considered like finances, support from relatives, pain, etc. With this in mind, the discussion about euthanasia should continue. It is the only way we as a human society grow.

Louanne Piccolo
Currently Reading: A Judegement in Stone
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-louanne-piccolo.html
Latest Review: First Family by Alice Langholt
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Louanne Piccolo » 30 Dec 2018, 16:27

I am for euthanasia if a suffering person requests it. There are some levels of pain that cannot be alleviated and are impossible to tolerate. Living through each minute of each day while wanting to die is a terrible thing to expect of someone who has no quality of life.
It's a controversial issue with no easy answer but this is my opinion on it.
It's likely I will die next to a pile of things I was meaning to read - Lemony Snicket

00LynnMarie
Currently Reading: Apollo's Raven
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-00lynnmarie.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by 00LynnMarie » 31 Dec 2018, 19:47

I absolutely think that if someone is terminal and suffering they should be able to die how they wish. This is a controversial topic, but I definitely feel a person shouldn't have to suffer. What gives other people the right to decide what a dying person's quality of life is, or how much suffering is too much? After watching cancer take the life of someone I love, destroying them slowly from the inside until they were unrecognizable, I will always vote for ending suffering. It's easy to say that you would never be an advocate of physician-assisted suicide until you are holding the hand of someone you love who is in unimaginable pain and is begging to die. It definitely tipped the scales for me as to whether or not it should be legal.
"There are times when the world is rearranging itself, and at times like that, the right words can change the world." - Orson Scott Card, Ender's Game

C-Extra22
Currently Reading: Blessed By the darkness
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-c-extra22.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by C-Extra22 » 01 Jan 2019, 07:41

I disagree entirely with his view about physician assisted suscide. What he did was without the child's consent.

Return to “Discuss "McDowell" by William H. Coles”