Physician Assisted Suicide

Use this forum to discuss the October Book of the Month "McDowell" by William H. Coles.
Manali_DC
Currently Reading: A Little Life
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manali-dc.html
Latest Review: Murdered by James Schannep

Re: Physician Assisted Suicide

Post by Manali_DC » 04 Nov 2018, 03:26

This is indeed a tricky subject. But I think euthanasia would be a mercy to some people who are terminally ill and have no quality of life and the only thing that lay ahead was suffering and pain for them and their families.

cristinaro
Favorite Book: The Magic Mountain
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 219
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristinaro.html
Latest Review: Spring Brings Life by Cedra Lewis Baird
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by cristinaro » 09 Nov 2018, 09:42

I don't agree with the pretexts Hiram finds for himself to justify his gesture of kiling his grandson. I might agree with euthanasia only if the person living only by means of machines has priorly stated that if this were ever be the case, s/he would prefer physician assisted suicide. In this case, Jeremy was only a boy who was terribly confused and did not have any responsible parents around who could have helped him way before any horrible thing happened.
"The madness of writing is the antidote to true madness." (Hanif Kureishi)

Harley-Panda
2019 Reading Goal: 26
2018 Reading Goal: 20
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 40
Currently Reading: Kennedy's Revenge
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-harley-panda.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Harley-Panda » 11 Nov 2018, 10:54

The idea of euthanasia will always be a difficult one, and I don't think everyone will ever agree. I think McDowell was wrong in this case - Jeremy was unable to respond to show if he wanted to live or not, and even if it seemed that he had tried to commit suicide that doesn't mean it was his final choice, it was something he did in a split moment of anger, guilt and fear. If someone is in constant pain and chooses to end their life it still may not be what other people would choose for themselves, or think is right, but it definitely isn't something which should be done without thought.
I go to seek a Great Perhaps

memalescole75
Currently Reading: The Fox
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-memalescole75.html
Latest Review: End of the Last Great Kingdom by Victor Rose

Post by memalescole75 » 11 Nov 2018, 22:24

A very difficult issue and one that isn't even clear in the book. It's as if Jeremy's death was acceptable if McDowell did it for the right reasons (to end his suffering), but unacceptable if it was about making McDowell's own life easier. I'm not sure the reasons should matter. One person is still choosing to end another person's life and, in this instance, without his consent.

Kalin Adi
2018 Reading Goal: 15
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 100
2017 Reading Goal: 5
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 680
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kalin-adi.html
Latest Review: Animals teach us life by Nabi Gueye

Post by Kalin Adi » 12 Nov 2018, 11:59

I cannot imagine the pain a person may be suffering when having a terminal disease. In the movie "Me Before You" this topic was addressed as well. I'm not living a desperate situation right now, but if I were, I think I'd pray to die but not to be killed.

MsTri
2019 Reading Goal: 12
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 41
2018 Reading Goal: 12
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 391
2017 Reading Goal: 0
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 15362">The Prodigal Son</a>
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mstri.html
Latest Review: Professor Curious and His Miracle Machine by Randall Lechner
Reading Device: B00L89V1AA

Post by MsTri » 12 Nov 2018, 12:20

I too do not believe in physician-assisted suicide, but I do imagine that if I were to become in a certain condition, I'd decline all but the necessities, like food, water, and possibly painkillers.

Farmgurl1
2018 Reading Goal: 50
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 76
Currently Reading: In the Shadow of the Master
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-farmgurl1.html
Latest Review: Betrayal of Justice by Mark M. Bello
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Farmgurl1 » 12 Nov 2018, 18:16

I totally believe people should have a choice about what happens to them. If they want to die and have someone help them out, who am I to say it's wrong? In this particular instance, McDowell was wrong because he did not have consent. In this situation, it was murder.

abbiejoice
Currently Reading: Me Before You
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abbiejoice.html
Latest Review: Rowan Wood Legends by Olivia Wildenstein

Post by abbiejoice » 15 Nov 2018, 05:15

I believe that a physician should always try to save a life. He cannot create a life, neither must he destroy it.

Natalie Charlene
2017 Reading Goal: 36
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 88
Currently Reading: Ender's Game
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-natalie-charlene.html
Latest Review: Mastery of Consciousness by Nandhiji Yogi

Post by Natalie Charlene » 15 Nov 2018, 10:18

I am for physician assisted suicide, but I think the person needs to have a say. It isn't a decision to make for someone else. (Unless there is brain-death involved, and the person is never going to wake up again). Though I haven't been in the position, so I can't fully know, I think that I would choose assisted suicide over a slow and painful death from irreversible disease.

charmperit
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charmperit.html
Latest Review: Pastoring is not what you think by Elijah Oladimeji

Post by charmperit » 15 Nov 2018, 13:48

It is a difficult decision to make especially in the case of patients who are in coma and vegetable state for several years. Imagining a family with not enough wealth to pay the hospital bills, I couldn't blame them if they would choose euthanasia for the patient. It is a difficult decision to let go of a loved one who is practically not alive and start living for those who are alive.

jesdav16
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jesdav16.html
Latest Review: The Prize by Geoffrey M Cooper

Post by jesdav16 » 28 Nov 2018, 16:07

stacie k wrote:
29 Oct 2018, 17:53
jesdav16 wrote:
11 Oct 2018, 14:35
I am totally against suicide in any form. I strongly believe that once there is still life, there is hope.
I am in agreement here. Such a controversial question requires one to examine their beliefs. As for me, I believe that God loves me and has each of my days numbered. Neither I nor my doctor should take the decision out of God's hands.
I agree totally. God must always have the final say.

bdu15062
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bdu15062.html
Latest Review: Four Funny Potatoes! by Len Foley

Post by bdu15062 » 28 Nov 2018, 20:46

I had mixed feeling about the 'assisted suicide'. It would have been torture if Jeremy had woken up as he would have had to live with the guilt of what he had done and with his disability. I do not agree that Hiram should have intervened and that he should have waited and heard what Jeremy wanted not just assumed that this was what he wanted.

Kibetious
2019 Reading Goal: 120
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 49
Currently Reading: Corners
Bookshelf Size: 518
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibetious.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman

Post by Kibetious » 30 Nov 2018, 02:27

The issue of euthanasia is really difficult to approach. Reason itself comes to a point of a standstill at times. For instance, what happens when one wants to have a physician-assisted death while the family does not support it? It becomes a tough ethical issue. The good thing is that in this book, this theme changed a lot in the story.
​​​​​​He gives strength to those who are tired; to the ones who lack power, he gives renewed energy :techie-studyinggray:

Kibetious
2019 Reading Goal: 120
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 49
Currently Reading: Corners
Bookshelf Size: 518
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibetious.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman

Post by Kibetious » 30 Nov 2018, 02:29

bdu15062 wrote:
28 Nov 2018, 20:46
I had mixed feeling about the 'assisted suicide'. It would have been torture if Jeremy had woken up as he would have had to live with the guilt of what he had done and with his disability. I do not agree that Hiram should have intervened and that he should have waited and heard what Jeremy wanted not just assumed that this was what he wanted.
This is true but the other possibility is that some people always learn a lesson the hard way. Perhaps he could have lived to regret it or he could have died anyway.
​​​​​​He gives strength to those who are tired; to the ones who lack power, he gives renewed energy :techie-studyinggray:

SABRADLEY
Currently Reading: Storm Front
Bookshelf Size: 121
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sabradley.html
Latest Review: Rufus: A Boy's Extraordinary Experiences in the Civil War by Phoebe Sheldon

Post by SABRADLEY » 30 Nov 2018, 12:34

Hiram may have acted presumptively and it would have been better to fully understand Jeremy's wishes. But that action speaks to the character of Hiram, so although thought-provoking and providing an interesting twist, it wasn't especially shocking.

Return to “Discuss "McDowell" by William H. Coles”