Physician Assisted Suicide

Use this forum to discuss the October Book of the Month "McDowell" by William H. Coles.
Harley-Panda
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-harley-panda.html
Latest Review: Kennedy's Revenge by Stephen L Rodenbeck

Re: Physician Assisted Suicide

Post by Harley-Panda »

The idea of euthanasia will always be a difficult one, and I don't think everyone will ever agree. I think McDowell was wrong in this case - Jeremy was unable to respond to show if he wanted to live or not, and even if it seemed that he had tried to commit suicide that doesn't mean it was his final choice, it was something he did in a split moment of anger, guilt and fear. If someone is in constant pain and chooses to end their life it still may not be what other people would choose for themselves, or think is right, but it definitely isn't something which should be done without thought.
I go to seek a Great Perhaps
Mandy Males Cole
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 171
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mandy-males-cole.html
Latest Review: The Movie Chair by Shari Borkin

Post by Mandy Males Cole »

A very difficult issue and one that isn't even clear in the book. It's as if Jeremy's death was acceptable if McDowell did it for the right reasons (to end his suffering), but unacceptable if it was about making McDowell's own life easier. I'm not sure the reasons should matter. One person is still choosing to end another person's life and, in this instance, without his consent.
Kalin Adi
Currently Reading: Island Games
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kalin-adi.html
Latest Review: French for Girls by JP Wright

Post by Kalin Adi »

I cannot imagine the pain a person may be suffering when having a terminal disease. In the movie "Me Before You" this topic was addressed as well. I'm not living a desperate situation right now, but if I were, I think I'd pray to die but not to be killed.
MsTri
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Miranda Ann Markley
Favorite Book: The Spirit Seeds Book 1
Currently Reading: the Secret of Safe Passage
Bookshelf Size: 1029
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mstri.html
Latest Review: Suddenly Free, Vol. 1 by Yvette Carmon Davis
Reading Device: B07HZHJGY7
fav_author_id: 225682

Post by MsTri »

I too do not believe in physician-assisted suicide, but I do imagine that if I were to become in a certain condition, I'd decline all but the necessities, like food, water, and possibly painkillers.
Farmgurl1
Currently Reading: In the Shadow of the Master
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-farmgurl1.html
Latest Review: Betrayal of Justice by Mark M. Bello
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Farmgurl1 »

I totally believe people should have a choice about what happens to them. If they want to die and have someone help them out, who am I to say it's wrong? In this particular instance, McDowell was wrong because he did not have consent. In this situation, it was murder.
abbiejoice
Currently Reading: Me Before You
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abbiejoice.html
Latest Review: End of the Last Great Kingdom by Victor Rose

Post by abbiejoice »

I believe that a physician should always try to save a life. He cannot create a life, neither must he destroy it.
Natalie Charlene
Favorite Book: The Crux
Currently Reading: Cosmic Queries
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-natalie-charlene.html
Latest Review: The Bird Ride by Wade W. Bergner

Post by Natalie Charlene »

I am for physician assisted suicide, but I think the person needs to have a say. It isn't a decision to make for someone else. (Unless there is brain-death involved, and the person is never going to wake up again). Though I haven't been in the position, so I can't fully know, I think that I would choose assisted suicide over a slow and painful death from irreversible disease.
charmperit
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charmperit.html
Latest Review: Pastoring is not what you think by Elijah Oladimeji

Post by charmperit »

It is a difficult decision to make especially in the case of patients who are in coma and vegetable state for several years. Imagining a family with not enough wealth to pay the hospital bills, I couldn't blame them if they would choose euthanasia for the patient. It is a difficult decision to let go of a loved one who is practically not alive and start living for those who are alive.
jesdav16
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jesdav16.html
Latest Review: The Prize by Geoffrey M Cooper

Post by jesdav16 »

stacie k wrote: 29 Oct 2018, 17:53
jesdav16 wrote: 11 Oct 2018, 14:35 I am totally against suicide in any form. I strongly believe that once there is still life, there is hope.
I am in agreement here. Such a controversial question requires one to examine their beliefs. As for me, I believe that God loves me and has each of my days numbered. Neither I nor my doctor should take the decision out of God's hands.
I agree totally. God must always have the final say.
bdu15062
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bdu15062.html
Latest Review: Four Funny Potatoes! by Len Foley

Post by bdu15062 »

I had mixed feeling about the 'assisted suicide'. It would have been torture if Jeremy had woken up as he would have had to live with the guilt of what he had done and with his disability. I do not agree that Hiram should have intervened and that he should have waited and heard what Jeremy wanted not just assumed that this was what he wanted.
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3008
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: A Conflicted Slaveholder by Marge Cambre

Post by Kibet Hillary »

The issue of euthanasia is really difficult to approach. Reason itself comes to a point of a standstill at times. For instance, what happens when one wants to have a physician-assisted death while the family does not support it? It becomes a tough ethical issue. The good thing is that in this book, this theme changed a lot in the story.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3008
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: A Conflicted Slaveholder by Marge Cambre

Post by Kibet Hillary »

bdu15062 wrote: 28 Nov 2018, 20:46 I had mixed feeling about the 'assisted suicide'. It would have been torture if Jeremy had woken up as he would have had to live with the guilt of what he had done and with his disability. I do not agree that Hiram should have intervened and that he should have waited and heard what Jeremy wanted not just assumed that this was what he wanted.
This is true but the other possibility is that some people always learn a lesson the hard way. Perhaps he could have lived to regret it or he could have died anyway.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
revna01
Currently Reading: Storm Front
Bookshelf Size: 143
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-revna01.html
Latest Review: Rufus: A Boy's Extraordinary Experiences in the Civil War by Phoebe Sheldon

Post by revna01 »

Hiram may have acted presumptively and it would have been better to fully understand Jeremy's wishes. But that action speaks to the character of Hiram, so although thought-provoking and providing an interesting twist, it wasn't especially shocking.
Lisa A Rayburn
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Fluff Dragon
Bookshelf Size: 267
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisa-a-rayburn.html
Latest Review: Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited
Reading Device: B018QAYM7C

Post by Lisa A Rayburn »

Assisted suicide and euthanasia are two different things. With the former, it is the individual him/herself who has made the decision. I believe this is acceptable if all other options have been exhausted and the individual faces a swiftly decreasing quality of life and/or unrelenting, severe pain for the remainder of their lives. It is their decision to make whether to live with this situation or to "go" while they are still capable of making the decision for themselves. Euthanasia, on the other hand, is someone else deciding for the individual that it is better for them to die (much as we do for pets when necessary, but of course on a much more significant level). This is much less acceptable to me as it may well not honor the individual's wishes, especially if they are no longer capable of expressing them. McDowell's seems much closer to the latter so, no, I cannot say that I agree with him.
Books are my self-medication. 8)
TALIA ONYANGO
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-talia-onyango.html
Latest Review: The Lost Identity Casualties by Kim Ekemar

Post by TALIA ONYANGO »

I agree with him. Euthanasia should be legalized where there is no hopes of patient recovery. It is not inhumane and saves the patient and family from much pain.

Return to “Discuss "McDowell" by William H. Coles”