Physician Assisted Suicide

Use this forum to discuss the October Book of the Month "McDowell" by William H. Coles.
CommMayo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-commmayo.html
Latest Review: Changed by Vicki Stiefel
Reading Device: B00G2Y4WNY

Physician Assisted Suicide

Post by CommMayo »

While it isn't a major theme in the book, the issue of euthanasia comes to the fore. Do you agree with McDowell'ss view on physician assisted suicide? Did his experiences with it change your preconceived notions about euthanasia?
Dolor
Favorite Author: Craig R. Key
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12473
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dolor.html
Latest Review: The Center of Gravity by Patricia Brandon
Reading Device: 1400697484
fav_author_id: 115430

Post by Dolor »

In my own opinion, mercy killing is still a crime. If I were in his shoes, I would have let Jeremy live and repent during that last minutes of his life. It's God who gave us life, and He should have the only right to take it away.

As to the story, Hiram's aid on Jeremy's death was one of the twists that made the book thought-provoking.
Ruba Abu Ali
Currently Reading: Notes on a Nervous Planet
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruba-abu-ali.html
Latest Review: Grammar for a Full Life: How the Ways We Shape a Sentence Can Limit or Enlarge Us by Lawrence Weinstein

Post by Ruba Abu Ali »

Euthanasia is an extremely thorny issue. I do not agree with McDowell's view on physician-assisted suicide.
HollandBlue
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hollandblue.html
Latest Review: It's Hard to Be a Vampire by Viktoria Faust
2024 Reading Goal: 24
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by HollandBlue »

This is a tough one, but I think it should be left up to God.
:techie-studyinggray: when I get a little money I buy books; and if I have any left l buy food and clothes
Desiderius Erasmus Roterodamas
(1466-1536)
MagensWife1995
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-magenswife1995.html
Latest Review: Escape by Mark Kingston Levin, PhD

Post by MagensWife1995 »

If I had this choice. I would definitely have an assisted suicide. When my wife dies or is on her death bed and we are both elderly we want to die together. I am perfectly fine with the idea as I want to do it my self.
Britty01
Favorite Book: Will's Red Coat
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-britty01.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Britty01 »

Euthanasia is a troubling issue. It is unsettling to feel that society is being led to believe that this could be normal and acceptable in the future. On the other hand, I cannot make that decision for another person.
Sakilunamermaid
Currently Reading: Ready Player One
Bookshelf Size: 481
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Sakilunamermaid »

I think assisted suicide is acceptable when someone has no quality of life or their every moment is suffering. When it comes to actual suicide I am very against it. The situation with assisted suicide is different, your loved ones would see your suffering and your terminally ill.
gen_g
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

Personally, I feel that euthanasia is not really an issue in which we have the ability to decide if it should be allowed or not. In other words, if someone wanted to euthanise himself, it is not up to me to stop him; similarly, if I wanted to euthanise myself, no one should stop me either. If I'm not wrong, I think that this concept is also present in certain Scandinavian countries – one is allowed to choose to undergo euthanasia, but the person who chooses to undergo it is the one pressing the button (dispensing the toxin), literally.
grace8031
Currently Reading: Rats on the train
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-grace8031.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by grace8031 »

Life is sacred and no one be it a doctor has the right to take one. Hiram thought he was above .
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

Life wasn't something that was given freely and we aren't eligible to take it away as well. Committing euthanasia is a crime worth punishing with death. No matter what his intentions were taking away a person's life is unacceptable.
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
AliceofX
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 361
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aliceofx.html
Latest Review: The Demon of Decay by Alex C. Gates
Reading Device: B00ICPVSYC

Post by AliceofX »

Sakilunamermaid wrote: 01 Oct 2018, 19:02 I think assisted suicide is acceptable when someone has no quality of life or their every moment is suffering.
The problem is who gets to decide what is quality of life and what isn't. The Nazis thought that the disabled and mentally ill were better off dead. I'm not saying that it would automatically turn into a system where everyone not deemed fit is killed, but no system is without abuse. For some people, that's just too much power to give to anyone.
shiv_swami_25
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by shiv_swami_25 »

According to mine, euthanasia by someone else is a crime...
Although you have no interest in living, life can still give you a chance. It can be far better than the previous life.
So the suicide committed here was completely wrong, that's what I think. 😞😞😞
a9436
Currently Reading: The Redbreast
Bookshelf Size: 88
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-a9436.html
Latest Review: First Family by Alice Langholt

Post by a9436 »

AliceofX wrote: 02 Oct 2018, 01:19
Sakilunamermaid wrote: 01 Oct 2018, 19:02 I think assisted suicide is acceptable when someone has no quality of life or their every moment is suffering.
The problem is who gets to decide what is quality of life and what isn't. The Nazis thought that the disabled and mentally ill were better off dead. I'm not saying that it would automatically turn into a system where everyone not deemed fit is killed, but no system is without abuse. For some people, that's just too much power to give to anyone.
I agree that it is a terrifying amount of power to give, but there is a big difference between the Nazi atrocities, in which the victims had no say, and what happens at least in Switzerland today, where absolute consent is a must and people administer the drugs themselves. Personally, I do not have a problem with voluntary euthanasia as I cannot judge the pain nor understand the situation anyone else is in, but I would be sceptical of a doctor taking that decision on anyone's behalf.
joykan++2014
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by joykan++2014 »

I do not agree with McDowell's view of euthanasia. Though the perpetrators may justify it as a compassionate act to eliminate suffering, it is wrong to take someones life. Life is full of second chances hence no need to aid the death of another person just because they are ill. In the world we live today, such systems are likely to be abused. Thus, euthanasia should not be allowed unless the due process is followed when the suffering is too much to bear.
Ravinder+Kaur
Currently Reading: And Then I Met Margaret
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ravinder-kaur.html
Latest Review: Roadmap to the End of Days by Daniel Friedmann
Reading Device: Kindle

Post by Ravinder+Kaur »

I absolutely disagree with the concept of euthanasia. It is not about being terminally ill or in pain, to opt for it. A physician is there to look for every possible option of treatment, and not to support the idea of terminating life. Family and friends are supposed to be strong moral support systems.

Return to “Discuss "McDowell" by William H. Coles”