What do you think of Hiram McDowell?

Use this forum to discuss the October Book of the Month "McDowell" by William H. Coles.
SpencerVo
Favorite Book: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spencervo.html
Latest Review: Lola the Buhund and the Father of Discord by Elbot Carman

Re: What do you think of Hiram McDowell?

Post by SpencerVo »

At first, McDowell was a despicable character to me, and I cringed hard at his every thought. He was so toxic, pretending to be a respected public figure when in fact, his head was peppered with disrespectful monologues aiming at EVERYONE. But I gradually came to forgive him a little bit, and I wished he had been granted an actual chance to make amends for his mistakes and reconcile with his family members.
It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye.
fndirangu20
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading: the girl who knew da vinci
Bookshelf Size: 53

Post by fndirangu20 »

Hiram is a self-centered man who cares for no one except his children. He may be a fictitious character, but sadly, Hiram represents many people in the real world where fame and recognition are the only things that matter to them. But, no matter how despicable he may seem to his colleagues, Hiram McDowell is not beyond change and remorse. After all, no person is inherently bad.
holsam_87
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 1691
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-holsam-87.html
Latest Review: Herai by Aaron D Key
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by holsam_87 »

I really didn't like Hiram at first but by the end, I found him tolerable. He went through a lot, which changed him for the better.
Samantha Holtsclaw

“We’ve all got both light and dark inside us. What matters is the part we choose to act on. That’s who we really are.”

—J. K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
Latest Review: Herai by Aaron D Key
bdu15062
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bdu15062.html
Latest Review: Four Funny Potatoes! by Len Foley

Post by bdu15062 »

At the start I really disliked Hiram. He only cared about himself and liked to play around with women and money. At the end of the book I think he redeemed himself, but I still wouldn't class him a good person as he did a lot of bad things.
TALIA ONYANGO
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-talia-onyango.html
Latest Review: The Lost Identity Casualties by Kim Ekemar

Post by TALIA ONYANGO »

I saw him as a ruthless and insensitive character. His relationships with his wife and colleagues at workplace is unbecoming.
Surabhi Rani
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Demonslayer
Bookshelf Size: 1880
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-surabhi-rani.html
Latest Review: How To Decorate Cookies With Your Kids in an Afternoon by Micah Rhodes
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Surabhi Rani »

Hiram McDowell's personality is realistic. It helps us maintain a down-to-earth approach towards life that is full of odds and is truly testing in all ways!
Ekta Kumari
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Rebecca
Currently Reading: Kafka On The Shore
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ekta-kumari.html
Latest Review: Humanity Must Survive the 21st Century by Theodore Vornicu
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Ekta Kumari »

The author has done a very good job in portraying the main character. He is a shallow man, lack of respect for everyone not only women made him a perfect narcissist who only cared about his own well-being. He was cynical and the only role where he was somewhat good was being a father. Otherwise, his character was flawed at best.
"Words dazzle and deceive because they are mimed by the face. But black words on a white page are the soul laid bare."

-Guy de Maupassant
Jillpillbooknerd
Currently Reading: Apollo's Raven
Bookshelf Size: 1908
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jillpillbooknerd.html
Latest Review: One Way or Another by Mary J. Williams
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Jillpillbooknerd »

I was not a fan of Hiram McDowell. I understand that the author was trying to write a flawed character but I have never met anyone in my life that wasn't a mobster, who was just a horrible person. It was hard for me to read at times because I disliked him so much.
Nusrat_Shabnam_
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nusrat-shabnam.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by Nusrat_Shabnam_ »

I haven't read the book yet but I think that I am going to hate his character. He seems really rude and selfish.
Shalu1707
Favorite Book: The Vampire Diaries
Currently Reading: If Life Stinks, Get Your Head Outta Your But's
Bookshelf Size: 74
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shalu1707.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Shalu1707 »

Hiram McDowell is a complex human with a cold heart. He is selfish but come on, in today's time and world who is not? Everyone is selfish with just the difference in radius. So calling him pure evil is not correct as per me. He is cold hearted and thinks from his point of view only, which is quite twisted. But he is finally forced to discover a new point of view when he is left alone with little human contact but still he never accepts this clearly in his head.
Theresa Moffitt
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-theresa-moffitt.html
Latest Review: Royal Gossip by Trisha Goodwin
2024 Reading Goal: 20
2024 Goal Completion: 30%

Post by Theresa Moffitt »

Sahani Nimandra wrote: 02 Oct 2018, 00:42 This book, McDowell, stands-out because of Hiram. His flawed, unreliable, and selfish nature adds a high voltage to this read making its reader to punch-a-pillow. I like to maintain a neutral stance with his character because his unspeakable nature is what made this book eventful.
I agree- I think the author created a very memorable character when he created Hiram. It was such an interesting read - he was definitely flawed!
Moray_001
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-moray-001.html
Latest Review: Of All Faiths & None by Andrew Tweeddale

Post by Moray_001 »

When I first started reading the book, I felt Hiram was not much of a family man despite having quite a lot of family. He also seemed nonchalant about his marriage and didn’t try to impact any morals on his children. I expected more resistance to Billie’s incestous relationship with Tasha. But towards the end, he seemed to develop more empathy towards people, especially strangers.
Jessacardinal
Currently Reading: The Lost Identity Casualties
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessacardinal.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Jessacardinal »

I am half way through this book and have yet to change my position of immediate dislike for Hiram's character. I am holding out hope for redemption in his character before the end of the novel, but I most definitely have my doubts.
"Let's be reasonable and add an eighth day to the week that is devoted exclusively to reading." - Lena Dunham
timd
Favorite Book: The Rim of Space
Currently Reading: Making Monsters
Bookshelf Size: 440
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-timd.html
Latest Review: Mobius by Garon Whited

Post by timd »

McDowell is a delightfully complicated character created by the author. I think that his ruthlessness and selfish behaviour in the first half of the book stems from the fact that he is much more intelligent than the average person and thus develops a superiority complex which makes him appear uncaring and callous. His intelligence and stamina help him while he is on the run to survive but also, he sees and meets people on a completely different level of life that he is used to. These people manage to open him up and he changes remarkably for the better. I was sad at his demise but I suppose that it was actually inevitable. For me, this was a touching story.
Latest Review: Mobius by Garon Whited
Hiruni Bhagya 81
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hiruni-bhagya-81.html
Latest Review: Randy Love...at your service by Shay Carter

Post by Hiruni Bhagya 81 »

Hiruni Bhagya 81 wrote: 26 Oct 2018, 09:24 I'm still in the first half of the book, but from what I read, I think he's a despicable human being without any conscience. He's the worst of the worst. Knowing a person is going to die, he can leave him to die but not only that, he's capable of taking that person's last breathe as well. He doesn't feel guilty of committing adultery. He feels as if it's his right. Author has done a great job of creating a protagonist completely opposite to the typical protagonist.
After reading the book completely, I have to say I see the protagonist in a different light. He was the worst of worst, but after facing everything he became more humane and more likable. I think he was able to redeem some of his bad choices and deeds.

Return to “Discuss "McDowell" by William H. Coles”