Is mysoginism the main theme?

Use this forum to discuss the October Book of the Month "McDowell" by William H. Coles.
Cristina Chifane
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Magic Mountain
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 898
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristina-chifane.html
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Is mysoginism the main theme?

Post by Cristina Chifane »

Apart from Hiram McDowell’s domineering personality, there are many ex and current wives, mistresses or daughters in the novel.

Carole Mastriano is McDowell’s third wife and she has to put up with both his condescending attitude and his infidelities.
Tasha is his stepdaughter who is shown no sympathy when she gets pregnant with McDowell’s son, Billie.
Rima is a nurse from Nepal who accepts to be McDowell’s mistress with no expectations to commitment.
Although unrelated to McDowell, Paige is a woman journalist who needs to fight the abusive behavior of her boss.

Considering all these and more, is mysoginism the main theme of the novel? Is it also the source of conflict and a reflection of an attitude still very much present in society?
"The madness of writing is the antidote to true madness." (Hanif Kureishi)
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
Ruba Abu Ali
Currently Reading: Notes on a Nervous Planet
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruba-abu-ali.html
Latest Review: Grammar for a Full Life: How the Ways We Shape a Sentence Can Limit or Enlarge Us by Lawrence Weinstein

Post by Ruba Abu Ali »

My personal opinion is that mysoginism is strongly present in McDowell's. Is it still present in society? Yes, and its repercussions are, unfortunately, present in society.
HollandBlue
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hollandblue.html
Latest Review: It's Hard to Be a Vampire by Viktoria Faust
2024 Reading Goal: 24
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by HollandBlue »

I think there's also an element of narcissism in the book!
:techie-studyinggray: when I get a little money I buy books; and if I have any left l buy food and clothes
Desiderius Erasmus Roterodamas
(1466-1536)
Dolor
Favorite Author: Craig R. Key
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12473
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dolor.html
Latest Review: The Center of Gravity by Patricia Brandon
Reading Device: 1400697484
fav_author_id: 115430

Post by Dolor »

Misogynism was one of the flaws of Hiram McDowell. The book was centered more on personal and familial issues. I don't think the main theme of the book was misogynism.
MagensWife1995
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-magenswife1995.html
Latest Review: Escape by Mark Kingston Levin, PhD

Post by MagensWife1995 »

BookReader+6 wrote: 01 Oct 2018, 11:38 I think there's also an element of narcissism in the book!
What makes you think this? I have not read but a few pages so far. Can you give an example? where in this book you see narcissism?
EvaDar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-evadar.html
Latest Review: Do Not Wish For A Pet Ostrich! by Sarina Siebenaler

Post by EvaDar »

I am noticing some misogyny, both in the characters and the narration. Part of misogyny is a hyper-focus on women's body sizes and physical appearances. The author writes about three women in a row, and comments on their weight and appearances. Carole was "flabby now" and wasn't exercising; "Tasha teetered on the cusp of overweight with legs like ice cream cones," then he wonders if she would "splat" another cheerleader; And of Sheryl, "He didn't like the size of her nose with dark deep wells for nostrils. She was a little overweight...." This is just the first few pages of Chapter 1.
sit in the ocean. it is one of the best medicines on the planet. – the water
-Nayyirah Waheed
gen_g
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

From the examples listed, it does seem like misogyny is present in the novel. However, I suppose there are other factors to consider, such as the social and the economic. I'm definitely not condoning such sexism - although I have to say that sexism is still prevalent in society today, but in a more insidious manner IMO.
gen_g
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

Eva Darrington wrote: 01 Oct 2018, 23:00 I am noticing some misogyny, both in the characters and the narration. Part of misogyny is a hyper-focus on women's body sizes and physical appearances. The author writes about three women in a row, and comments on their weight and appearances. Carole was "flabby now" and wasn't exercising; "Tasha teetered on the cusp of overweight with legs like ice cream cones," then he wonders if she would "splat" another cheerleader; And of Sheryl, "He didn't like the size of her nose with dark deep wells for nostrils. She was a little overweight...." This is just the first few pages of Chapter 1.
This type of writing honestly puts me off - and in Chapter 1, no less! It's definitely obvious that the narrator/author sees women as objects, and that's rather gross.
EvaDar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-evadar.html
Latest Review: Do Not Wish For A Pet Ostrich! by Sarina Siebenaler

Post by EvaDar »

gen_g wrote: 01 Oct 2018, 23:02 From the examples listed, it does seem like misogyny is present in the novel. However, I suppose there are other factors to consider, such as the social and the economic. I'm definitely not condoning such sexism - although I have to say that sexism is still prevalent in society today, but in a more insidious manner IMO.
I think I feel more forgiving about issues like misogyny in literature if it is a character flaw that is written into a character for a purpose that serves the narrative. This is just feeling like an indulgence, if you know what I mean. I haven't finished the book but I'm not sure yet that I want to at this point.
sit in the ocean. it is one of the best medicines on the planet. – the water
-Nayyirah Waheed
gen_g

Post by gen_g »

Eva Darrington wrote: 01 Oct 2018, 23:09
gen_g wrote: 01 Oct 2018, 23:02 From the examples listed, it does seem like misogyny is present in the novel. However, I suppose there are other factors to consider, such as the social and the economic. I'm definitely not condoning such sexism - although I have to say that sexism is still prevalent in society today, but in a more insidious manner IMO.
I think I feel more forgiving about issues like misogyny in literature if it is a character flaw that is written into a character for a purpose that serves the narrative. This is just feeling like an indulgence, if you know what I mean. I haven't finished the book but I'm not sure yet that I want to at this point.
I agree with you - I would be more forgiving if it were written in for a purpose, which does not seem to be so in this book. I did hear of the naïve/native mistake that is present in the prologue, so I don't think I'll be picking this book up! :eusa-think:
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

Hiram is the center piece of this book, and everything that occurred around in this read revolves around him. Gross related details reflects the true nature of a person's character. In saying that, it's important to note that people like Hiram do exist.
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

gen_g wrote: 01 Oct 2018, 23:03
Eva Darrington wrote: 01 Oct 2018, 23:00 I am noticing some misogyny, both in the characters and the narration. Part of misogyny is a hyper-focus on women's body sizes and physical appearances. The author writes about three women in a row, and comments on their weight and appearances. Carole was "flabby now" and wasn't exercising; "Tasha teetered on the cusp of overweight with legs like ice cream cones," then he wonders if she would "splat" another cheerleader; And of Sheryl, "He didn't like the size of her nose with dark deep wells for nostrils. She was a little overweight...." This is just the first few pages of Chapter 1.
This type of writing honestly puts me off - and in Chapter 1, no less! It's definitely obvious that the narrator/author sees women as objects, and that's rather gross.
Author may reflects this but that doesn't mean it's not true. William H Cole reflects the reality in man who is a sexist.
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
a9436
Currently Reading: The Redbreast
Bookshelf Size: 88
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-a9436.html
Latest Review: First Family by Alice Langholt

Post by a9436 »

It is definitely a major theme in that it seems to be embedded in every aspect of McDowell's life. I have not finished the book and am curious if McDowell reforms himself in this way later on, after re-evaluating life after a fall from grace.
FictionLover
Favorite Book: If life stinks get your head outta your buts
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fictionlover.html
Latest Review: Winning the War on Cancer by Sylvie Beljanski
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by FictionLover »

I noticed all that too, and it completely cemented my opinion of not only the character of Hiram, but also of the author. I noticed a similar fixation on women's body size in Mr. Cole's The Spirit of Want, but I think it is much more obvious here because those comments come so close together in chapter one.

Conspicuously absent: a physical description of Hiram.

:(
"I love reading another reader’s list of favorites. Even when I find I do not share their tastes or predilections, I am provoked to compare, contrast, and contradict. It is a most healthy exercise, and one altogether fruitful." T.S. Eliot
FictionLover
Favorite Book: If life stinks get your head outta your buts
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fictionlover.html
Latest Review: Winning the War on Cancer by Sylvie Beljanski
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by FictionLover »

Sahani Nimandra wrote: 02 Oct 2018, 00:36
gen_g wrote: 01 Oct 2018, 23:03
Author may reflects this but that doesn't mean it's not true. William H Cole reflects the reality in man who is a sexist.
Read the sample for The Spirit of Want. He does the same thing in that book, comparing two sisters to each other followed by a drunk driving scene. Just not my type of 'literature'.
"I love reading another reader’s list of favorites. Even when I find I do not share their tastes or predilections, I am provoked to compare, contrast, and contradict. It is a most healthy exercise, and one altogether fruitful." T.S. Eliot

Return to “Discuss "McDowell" by William H. Coles”