Is mysoginism the main theme?

Use this forum to discuss the October Book of the Month "McDowell" by William H. Coles.
yapashley
Currently Reading: Crown of Crimson (The Afterlight Chronicles Book 1)
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yapashley.html
Latest Review: Oblivion Threshold by J.R. Mabry and B.J. West

Re: Is mysoginism the main theme?

Post by yapashley »

do you think this book is also about female empowerment? With how Mcdowell treats his women, how they are being described, do you think the book was also trying to aim for the women to rise above those in society today? To let us see what men think of us and how to break from it in reality?
HanElizabeth397
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hanelizabeth397.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Post by HanElizabeth397 »

Ruba Abu Ali wrote: 01 Oct 2018, 09:51 My personal opinion is that mysoginism is strongly present in McDowell's. Is it still present in society? Yes, and its repercussions are, unfortunately, present in society.
I think this sums it up quite well. Yes the main character was very misoginistic, and at times I disliked reading it because of how reflective it was of society
Readinggrl18
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-readinggrl18.html
Latest Review: Manasakd by Kelly May Andrews

Post by Readinggrl18 »

I think it is definitely a large theme of the book. No one should have to accept being treated like that. He was selfish and didn't care about the feelings of those in his life. He used women and brushed them off when they no longer served his purposes. I think this is still a large problem in our society but by no means the only problem.
Mellino Itz
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mellino-itz.html
Latest Review: Good Sexual Hygiene & Spiritual Attitude by Anthony A. Morris

Post by Mellino Itz »

Quite sure McDowell is a misogynists'. But misogynism is not the main theme in this book. Parenting is the main theme. Almost all of McDowell's children has flaws because they lack good parenting.

Return to “Discuss "McDowell" by William H. Coles”