Overall rating and opinion of "McDowell"

Use this forum to discuss the October Book of the Month "McDowell" by William H. Coles.
Kareka88
2019 Reading Goal: 50
2018 Reading Goal: 25
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 224
Favorite Book: A Ring of Endless Light
Currently Reading: The Rooster Bar
Bookshelf Size: 307
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kareka88.html
Latest Review: Royal Marriages by Susanna de Vries
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Re: Overall rating and opinion of "McDowell"

Post by Kareka88 » 31 Oct 2018, 21:33

I started it but have not been able to finish. I thought at first it was an interesting premise. I did find him arrogant and smug. I can only hope he does become transformed into a decent human being.
"Life is an occasion - rise to it." Mr. Magorian

ShailaSheshadri
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shailasheshadri.html
Latest Review: Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole

Post by ShailaSheshadri » 01 Nov 2018, 07:50

I reviewed Mc Dowell, and I wholeheartedly rated it 4 out of 4 stars.

This is a well-written fiction. The characters and the ambiance in the story appear realistic. The story is full of suspense and hence made me stick to the book until I finished reading the entire novel. The story is capable of arousing many questions in the reader's mind about the upbringing of children and family bonds. The author has employed simple words throughout, making it easy to comprehend. The story has a natural word flow.

I noticed a few grammar errors in the novel. I guess they won't distract the readers from the pleasureful reading.

I recommend this novel to all who like to read a story that consists of romance, hate, crime, and mystery. This is a complete novel that can entertain anyone.

Sirlimu01
Currently Reading: Kaiserjaeger
Bookshelf Size: 244
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Sirlimu01 » 02 Nov 2018, 00:06

Apart from mior editting problem, Hiram related charcter with his family and others , McDowell is well structured with storyline that spur mature reader thought and interest. I need more people to pick the text for euture references. I give it 4 over 4 again

edith38
2018 Reading Goal: 50
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 26
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-edith38.html
Latest Review: How to Define Yourself by Chuck Clifton

Post by edith38 » 02 Nov 2018, 09:07

It's a really well-written book (except the way the loose ends were wrapped up in a hurry). The writer has done a good job at creating an unlikable character and then made the reader root for him. Pretty skillful point-of-view changes as well.

Hiruni Bhagya 81
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 106
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hiruni-bhagya-81.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by Hiruni Bhagya 81 » 02 Nov 2018, 09:29

It's a great book. I wasn't so sure about it in the initial stages, but after reading the complete book my views completely changed. What I liked most about it is the character development. I'd have liked it more if it was more organized but regardless of that, I'd definitely recommend it to others.

Italiansweety1982
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-italiansweety1982.html
Latest Review: Four Funny Potatoes! by Len Foley

Post by Italiansweety1982 » 02 Nov 2018, 10:35

I didn't like the blurb either. I think it was trying to grab attention but it really just sounded silly

Journalgirl
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6

Post by Journalgirl » 02 Nov 2018, 13:27

I almost didn't finish this book. I tried to get through. I'm so glad I did stick to it and finished. I didn't expect the ending to go the way it did. I liked it I much I'm considering buying a hard copy to pass to a friend.
4 1/2 stars :)

Emmaor
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emmaor.html
Latest Review: The Buried Secrets of Peonies by Mernegar Dorgoly

Post by Emmaor » 02 Nov 2018, 13:51

I have just finished reading this book and am about to submit my final review. I really enjoyed the storyline and liked the way that Coles introduces the main character, Hiram McDowell. At the beginning of the story, I didn't like Hiram very much but towards the end I couldn't help but feel a sense of compassion and even sympathy towards him. I think Coles is a great author and I look forward to reading some of his other titles.

topdan30
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-topdan30.html
Latest Review: Andalusian in Jerusalem by Mois benarroch

Post by topdan30 » 02 Nov 2018, 20:44

Ruba Abu Ali wrote:
01 Oct 2018, 08:31
It's an enjoyable and an engaging book. Mr. Coles is a master in forming well-rounded characters. I definitely recommend McDowell and give it the perfect score.
I once read one of his novel and he did a good job of creating the pictures of his story in my mind. Guess will enjoy this too.

topdan30
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-topdan30.html
Latest Review: Andalusian in Jerusalem by Mois benarroch

Post by topdan30 » 02 Nov 2018, 20:46

edith38 wrote:
02 Nov 2018, 09:07
It's a really well-written book (except the way the loose ends were wrapped up in a hurry). The writer has done a good job at creating an unlikable character and then made the reader root for him. Pretty skillful point-of-view changes as well.
mmm so writers always like rushing their ending as if they in a hurry to start a fresh one. Hope that didnt affect the storyline?

fredrick otieno
2018 Reading Goal: 50
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 8
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fredrick-otieno.html
Latest Review: Kennedy's Revenge by Stephen L Rodenbeck

Post by fredrick otieno » 03 Nov 2018, 02:16

To be sincere, i have not read the book but i am hoping to very soon. from the discussion i can tell its a great book and i cant wait to grab it.

inmod
Favorite Book: My Trip To Adele
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inmod.html
Latest Review: Gringo by Dan "Tito" Davis

Post by inmod » 03 Nov 2018, 09:44

I've finished reading the book and truthfully, I had a mixed opinion on McDowell. Definitely not a light reading but there were several insights from the book!

Ryankipz
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by Ryankipz » 04 Nov 2018, 12:06

I gave McDowell a rating of 4 out of 4 stars. I felt that the book is really interesting, it has a lot of themes portrayed in different scenes by different characters. What I like least about the book is how Hiram was raising his family, I felt bad for the people he hurt but all in all, justice was served.i will recommend this book to everyone.

Fatima_Palacios
2019 Reading Goal: 30
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 129
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fatima-palacios.html
Latest Review: The Wall by Some Guy

Post by Fatima_Palacios » 04 Nov 2018, 22:14

NicholetH wrote:
17 Oct 2018, 12:04
I read the book and would recommend it to others. William H Coles is a great writer. Even tough I did not like the arrogant and selfish Hiram, I still enjoyed the story line. I gave it a 4 out of 4 stars.
I did not like Hiram either but that is actually one of my favorite aspects about this becase its very interesting how i can dislike someone so much and still want to see how ill end as the story progresses. it gives a nice touch of growth and redemption.
"and if I die trying, then at least I tried."
-Eiichiro Oda (Luffy)
Latest Review: The Wall by Some Guy

Farida Bali
Currently Reading: China rich girlfriend
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-farida-bali.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by Farida Bali » 04 Nov 2018, 22:48

I reviewed this book and the negatives and positives are 50/50. I found it interesting that the title character started out completely unlikable but as soon as he faced retribution, I began to sympathise with him. The novel is set in different places at different times and I like how details of the environment and atmosphere are described. However, I didn't like most of the conversations between the characters.

Return to “Discuss "McDowell" by William H. Coles”