Does anyone see a similarity to Hirem and Jeremy?

Use this forum to discuss the October Book of the Month "McDowell" by William H. Coles.
KDJ
Favorite Book: Elenor
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdj.html
Latest Review: Homecoming by Jude Austin

Does anyone see a similarity to Hirem and Jeremy?

Post by KDJ »

While I read McDowell, Before he searched himself and tried to atone for past situations, I found myself comparing the little we learned about Jeremy and his actions to Hirems attitude about people in general. Am I way off base, or is there a similarity? I just feel that I can see Hirem's anger and self- pity turning into a Jeremy situation, but on a larger scale. (I don't know how else to phrase that.) Does anyone else think that?
He that loves reading has everything within his reach. —William Godwin
Readinggrl18
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-readinggrl18.html
Latest Review: Manasakd by Kelly May Andrews

Post by Readinggrl18 »

I think they both had huge anger problems. However, there seemed to be deeper issues with Jeremy. He may have had a mental problem. His mom obviously dealt with anxiety and depression. Who knows how that affected him? I do agree that there were some similarities and certainly anger, selfishness and self- pitying can lead people to do some crazy things. However, I think that many of Hiram's problems were self inflicted. He wanted and worked for certain things and cared so little about others. Jeremy was a hurting child who wasn't getting the help or attention he needed. He also felt guilt, shown by his suicide attempt. Hiram had not experienced that particular emotion.
Mellino Itz
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mellino-itz.html
Latest Review: Good Sexual Hygiene & Spiritual Attitude by Anthony A. Morris

Post by Mellino Itz »

They both had anger issue. But their anger differs. Hiram's issues were self inflicted, he's selfish and cared less about others while that of Jeremy may be described as psychological problems.

Return to “Discuss "McDowell" by William H. Coles”