What about Sophie?

Use this forum to discuss the October Book of the Month "McDowell" by William H. Coles.
Namaste23
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-namaste23.html
Latest Review: Did you know by Ashok Bhaskaran

Re: What about Sophie?

Post by Namaste23 »

I don't think Sophie knew who to trust. Of course you want to be loyal to your father, I think that is biological. When McDowell acted the way he did, that had to cause a riff in her loyalty so she wasn't sure what to think. I also think she wanted to trust Paige and believe they were truly friends, but could tell something was off.
HanElizabeth397
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hanelizabeth397.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Post by HanElizabeth397 »

Sophie had a tough time in the book, which given who her father was is quite understandable! And then she had a tough time with Paige, because having someone constantly asking about your complicated relationship with your father must be pretty difficult
Readinggrl18
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-readinggrl18.html
Latest Review: Manasakd by Kelly May Andrews

Post by Readinggrl18 »

Sophie wanted to be needed. She wanted to help. She was put in the middle and struggled to figure out how to help everyone. I think sometimes she put herself in the middle and other times other people did. She was weak and lonely. It made her an easy target for manipulation.
Liveforchrist51
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-liveforchrist51.html
Latest Review: The Hundredth Time Around by Stacy Lee

Post by Liveforchrist51 »

Sophie knew that her dad was not a good person at heart, but at the same time still had love for her father no matter how poor of a father he was. I can relate to that type of love, the mix of feeling guilty for not accepting the poor treatment from family, but then also wanting to feel the love of a parent. I personally feel like she was the strongest character in the book.
photosynthesis19
Currently Reading: A Room of One's Own
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-photosynthesis19.html
Latest Review: The Middle Reaches (Episodes 1-8) by L. Andrew Cooper

Post by photosynthesis19 »

Sophie is one of my favorite characters in the book. I can relate to her on many levels because she is a person with flaws who tries to seek truth and trust in the things and people around her. I especially like how complex her thoughts were, and how she was struggling to come to terms with what her father did to her and their family. I think the author did a very good job creating a realistic character that readers can connect with.
Mellino Itz
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mellino-itz.html
Latest Review: Good Sexual Hygiene & Spiritual Attitude by Anthony A. Morris

Post by Mellino Itz »

I think Sophie was an interesting character that kept the floe in this book's story. I admired her innocence and despite how she grew up with her dad, her intentions towards him was pure.

Return to “Discuss "McDowell" by William H. Coles”