Why a Raven?

Use this forum to discuss the September Book of the Month "Apollo's Raven" by Linnea Tanner.
Izzy+
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-izzy.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman

Re: Why a Raven?

Post by Izzy+ »

Ravens have a connection to Apollo in mythology. They are often associated with the spirit world in myths and pop culture. They are often used as messengers which tracts in this instance. The raven works well. You could have a different bird like a crow but you wouldn't get the Apollo association.
Amy+++
Favorite Book: The Mister
Currently Reading: Last Chance Cafe
Bookshelf Size: 219
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy.html
Latest Review: The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance by Morris Rollins
Reading Device: B01CRGNO4S

Post by Amy+++ »

In many cultures a raven is to be feared. Perhaps this is why the author chose the raven.
serendipity 27
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 286
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-serendipity-27.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by serendipity 27 »

I think ravens have a darker more mystical side to them and this would be more appropriate than any other bird.
Give me the courage to get through this week...or at least a big bar of chocolate :D
kelsiemaxwell
Currently Reading: Home to the Harbor
Bookshelf Size: 289
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelsiemaxwell.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner
Reading Device: B016PUQWMI

Post by kelsiemaxwell »

I think the raven was an appropriate choice. Raven are more predatory than most birds. They are birds of prey and therefore add to the dark element of Catrin’s spirit animal. The raven invoked a more mystical aspect.
“...a mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge.”
― George R.R. Martin, A Game of Thrones
Bronie
Currently Reading: Adrift
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bronie.html
Latest Review: The Life and Lessons of a Young Author by Sunayna Prasad

Post by Bronie »

Ravens are characterized by being mysterious and or carrying deadly intent. They were used in the past for examples of the paranormal and even though it’s a highly intelligently bird it’s associated with death. So authors may use this bird in particular for tension ect.
Kene18
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Kene18 »

Raven's where used in the past to make references to strange and supernatural activities it is also seen as a bird of death and foresight a raven's presence or call is always interpreted into something supernatural
GretchenLee
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gretchenlee.html

Post by GretchenLee »

I love analyzing symbols, so I'll do my best here.
In regards to the bird itself, the raven is the largest "songbird", as well as a perch bird--much like the raven in the book. The caw of the raven is often used as a warning or alert--again like in the book. And, ravens are incredibly strong birds. They can survive in almost any climate, which mirrors Catrin's strength.
If we look into poetry, many of us think of Poe. In The Raven, the raven sits upon Athena--goddess of wisdom and battle strategy. Poe also mentions other mirroring symbols with the raven, such as the color purple (nobility) and lamplight. Shedding some light on the truth, perhaps?
Many people do believe ravens are a symbol of death, but their more so a symbol of strength, or wisdom while a crow is the symbol of death. Still, from a distance, the two birds look a lot alike.
Sunday diamond
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sunday-diamond.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Sunday diamond »

I think raven is the perfect bird for catrin, because even from the history, raven is known for both peace and punishment for those that will deserve punishment.
Nusrat_Shabnam_
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nusrat-shabnam.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by Nusrat_Shabnam_ »

I think Raven was an amazing choice. The story wouldn't have been so amazing if it would have been any other bird.
abbiejoice
Currently Reading: Me Before You
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abbiejoice.html
Latest Review: End of the Last Great Kingdom by Victor Rose

Post by abbiejoice »

I think a dove would be more like a symbol of peace. A raven is more mysterious in nature and is often associated with Apollo in Greek mythology.
CBCollinsReview
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cbcollinsreview.html
Latest Review: It's Hard to Be a Vampire by Viktoria Faust

Post by CBCollinsReview »

I think the raven was chosen because for several reasons. One, choosing a raven is a much darker choice than a dove or most other birds. I think this great considering there is so much darkness surrounding Catrin's curse and the powers she possesses. Additionally, ravens are considered wise. You see this attribute symbolized in many popular titles like Harry Potter and Game of Thrones. Again, because the raven serves as a mystical conduit that helps Catrin see into the future, this is a very good choice of animal.
LikoLovesBooks
Currently Reading: The Crystilleries of Echoland
Bookshelf Size: 728
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-likolovesbooks.html
Latest Review: It's Hard to Be a Vampire by Viktoria Faust
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by LikoLovesBooks »

Jsovermyer wrote: 11 Oct 2018, 22:03 Why do you think that Catrin was connected to a raven? Do you think that a raven is a good choice? Why not a dove or another bird? Why not an animal like a dog or a cat?
The Raven has an air of mystery to it and is often associated with mystics and the paranormal. A falcon would have also been cool, or even a cat! :)
mamilla93
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mamilla93.html

Post by mamilla93 »

Raven is a sacred animal to Apollo and its depiction points towards Catrin's ability to prophesy. It was a pretty good choice for the plot.
Robby Chandra
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Robby Chandra »

crows are the smartest type of bird, do you know that crows are birds that teach humans how to bury bodies, so choosing crows is the right thing.
Bluebird03
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluebird03.html
Latest Review: Retort and Retribution by Jak Dello

Post by Bluebird03 »

I believe the Raven was a great match for Catrin. When I think of a raven, I think of all things dark and of Halloween. Also, the Raven appears to be a very sleek, sharp-eyed and commanding bird. It was a perfect choice for Catrin and what she required the Raven for.

Return to “Discuss "Apollo's Raven" by Linnea Tanner”