Shapeshifting

Use this forum to discuss the September Book of the Month "Apollo's Raven" by Linnea Tanner.
Azeline Arcenal
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 119
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zenalei7.html
Latest Review: Christmas in the Kingdom of Kool by Joan J. Harris

Re: Shapeshifting

Post by Azeline Arcenal »

I think this element of shapeshifting is properly tied into the story. It does support the aura of mysticism the author is trying to convey, but it does sort of fall into the same category as a fantasy novel. Adding the element of shapeshifting made the story seem more interesting.
“The only important thing in a book is the meaning that it has for you.” - W. Somerset Maugham
starshipsaga
Currently Reading: WatchDogs Abnormal Beginnings
Bookshelf Size: 2024
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-starshipsaga.html
Latest Review: Secrets of the Dead by Murray Bailey

Post by starshipsaga »

I think the author balanced the historical aspects with the fantasy ones really well. Though maybe this could be my own bias showing, because I love paranormal stories especially when shapeshifters are involved! :D Maybe using a wolf was a bit cliched, but the inclusion of one in the story didn't feel too much for me, because I had already expected some mystical/fantastical elements.
Shalomsamuels1
Favorite Book: Worm
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shalomsamuels1.html
Latest Review: Executive Hoodlum by John Costello

Post by Shalomsamuels1 »

No I felt it fit into the general plot. It seems very mythological.
tarafarah7
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Mitch Albom
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... ">tuesdays with Morrie</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1427
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tarafarah7.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 2544

Post by tarafarah7 »

I haven't yet read this book, but I'm happy I read this thread, as you all have helped me see things from a different perspective. In your opinion, could the novel have survived without the shape shifting or was it a major element of the plot?
Princess Clara
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-princess-clara.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by Princess Clara »

I think shapeshifting is a proper incorporation inro the novel and supports the aura of mysticism. It got me intrigued and always looked forward to what would happen next.
CommMayo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-commmayo.html
Latest Review: Changed by Vicki Stiefel
Reading Device: B00G2Y4WNY

Post by CommMayo »

tarafarah7 wrote: 28 Sep 2018, 16:56 I haven't yet read this book, but I'm happy I read this thread, as you all have helped me see things from a different perspective. In your opinion, could the novel have survived without the shape shifting or was it a major element of the plot?
I think it wasn't necessary to the plot. It plays a role in Catrin's evil brother, but I don't think shapeshifting was the only way to write his character or their history.
Elizabeth Pass
Favorite Book: Dealing with Dragons (Enchanted Forest Chronicles, #1)
Currently Reading: Reign
Bookshelf Size: 126
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bb587.html
Latest Review: COVIDinners by Katie M Zeigler

Post by Elizabeth Pass »

Marrock had mastered his abilities enough to shapeshift. I felt that meant eventually Catrin would get to the point where she would also gain that ability. Didn't she? Or did I misinterpret that part?
CommMayo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-commmayo.html
Latest Review: Changed by Vicki Stiefel
Reading Device: B00G2Y4WNY

Post by CommMayo »

bb587 wrote: 30 Sep 2018, 11:28 Marrock had mastered his abilities enough to shapeshift. I felt that meant eventually Catrin would get to the point where she would also gain that ability. Didn't she? Or did I misinterpret that part?
I don't remember Catrin truly shapeshifting in the novel. She is able to see through the eyes of her raven, but I can't recall her ever turning into a raven. I think it is more like she has a special bond with the animal.
tarafarah7
Favorite Author: Mitch Albom
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... ">tuesdays with Morrie</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1427
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tarafarah7.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 2544

Post by tarafarah7 »

CommMayo wrote: 30 Sep 2018, 11:01
tarafarah7 wrote: 28 Sep 2018, 16:56 I haven't yet read this book, but I'm happy I read this thread, as you all have helped me see things from a different perspective. In your opinion, could the novel have survived without the shape shifting or was it a major element of the plot?
I think it wasn't necessary to the plot. It plays a role in Catrin's evil brother, but I don't think shapeshifting was the only way to write his character or their history.
Thank you so much for the response! This book really sounds like it has quite a bit going on. :-)
Kendra M Parker
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 421
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kendra-m-parker.html
Latest Review: Requiem, Changing Times by RJ Parker
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK

Post by Kendra M Parker »

Tanner’s methods of incorporating fantasy elements and history together are done pretty well in my opinion. She allows both sides to be important in their own right. I had trouble at first deciding whether the shapeshifting was a true shape shift or a mental one where he took possession of the other animal’s body. Once we got further into the book, I was glad to see that clarified.
Echo Haapala
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-echo-haapala.html
Latest Review: Poseidon's Eye by Trisha O'Keefe

Post by Echo Haapala »

I think the shapeshifting element tied the story together well and supported the aura.
P Reefer
Favorite Book: The Lost Identity Casualties
Currently Reading: De Facto Feminisn
Bookshelf Size: 159
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-p-reefer.html
Latest Review: The McCoys Before The Feud by Thomas McCoy

Post by P Reefer »

CommMayo wrote: 01 Sep 2018, 11:00 Midway through the novel, we are introduced to Catrin's brother who can shapeshift into a wolf. Do you think this element of shapeshifting is properly tied into the story or does it detract from the overall novel? Does it support the aura of mysticism the author is trying to convey or does it make it too much like any other fantasy novel?
For me, the shapeshifting into a wolf detracts from the story and makes the narrative adopt a nightmarish stance rather than a mystic characteristic.
desantismt_17
Currently Reading: When Angels Play Poker
Bookshelf Size: 1313
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-desantismt-17.html
Latest Review: Sasquatch Did It! by Patricia Komar

Post by desantismt_17 »

I don't know that a shapeshifting character would make this "too much like any other fantasy novel." There are many fantasy books that don't feature shapeshifting characters at all. Now, if it's the wolf in relation to the abundance of werewolf books on the market, that's something, but this doesn't strike me as similar to a werewolf at all. Wolves are animals I associate with mysticism because they are powerful creatures. So, I think it works.
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
Lisa A Rayburn
Currently Reading: Fluff Dragon
Bookshelf Size: 267
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisa-a-rayburn.html
Latest Review: Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited
Reading Device: B018QAYM7C

Post by Lisa A Rayburn »

I thought it was brought in a bit abruptly but did fit with the mysticism of the book. The thing is, at one point it was hinted that Catrin might also be able (eventually) to shapeshift into her spirit animal, the raven. After that, other than the ability to see through her Raven's eyes, that thread seemed to be completely dropped. So is this a connection with the spirit animal that manifests differently in different people, an inherited trait, what? If inherited, where did they get it? They have different mothers and their father certainly didn't give it to them! I thought it deserved a bit more explanation than it got if it's actually going to become an integral part of the plot.
Books are my self-medication. 8)
jennyd2003
Currently Reading: Kind Nepenthe
Bookshelf Size: 126
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennyd2003.html
Latest Review: The Witch of Endor by RK Wheeler

Post by jennyd2003 »

It seems to fit. He takes it a bit further with the shifting versus her only having sight. This has been common in a few others I have read. Usually they are only half siblings so one gets more "ability" than the other.

Return to “Discuss "Apollo's Raven" by Linnea Tanner”