Religion and beliefs

Use this forum to discuss the September Book of the Month "Apollo's Raven" by Linnea Tanner.
PeaceLoveNature44
Favorite Book: Apollo's Raven
Currently Reading: Cows I Have Known
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peacelovenature44.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner

Religion and beliefs

Post by PeaceLoveNature44 »

Do you see the power Gods and Goddesses and how they intervene with the story? They say they can change the peoples life in a whim. Do they put to much thought into it, and actually change their own?
“A room without books is like a body without a soul.”
― Marcus Tullius Cicero
:tiphat: :techie-studyingbrown: :tiphat: :techie-studyingbrown: :tiphat: :techie-studyingbrown:
Be the change that you wish to see in the world.”
― Mahatma Gandhi
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

Apollos and the other Gods had an important rule in the life of the people. They didn't do anything important without good omens or without consulting their Gods. Only after Agrona performed the religious ceremony and Catrin told the people that the Gods support the meeting between both sides, did they started to talk. Here the Gods didn't act on a whim, in contrast to some other tales.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
CommMayo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-commmayo.html
Latest Review: Changed by Vicki Stiefel
Reading Device: B00G2Y4WNY

Post by CommMayo »

To me, it felt as if there really were no gods or goddesses, just everyday people pretending to interpret messages from their gods. While there were elements of mysticism, I never got the feeling that actual gods were at play shaping the destiny of the characters.
gali
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

CommMayo wrote: 01 Sep 2018, 11:16 To me, it felt as if there really were no gods or goddesses, just everyday people pretending to interpret messages from their gods. While there were elements of mysticism, I never got the feeling that actual gods were at play shaping the destiny of the characters.
I agree. Still, they did have visions, supposedly from Apollo, and they interpret it accordingly to their needs...
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
DancingLady
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 108
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dancinglady.html
Latest Review: Believe What You Want To Believe by Alicia Kristine and George Williams

Post by DancingLady »

CommMayo wrote: 01 Sep 2018, 11:16 To me, it felt as if there really were no gods or goddesses, just everyday people pretending to interpret messages from their gods. While there were elements of mysticism, I never got the feeling that actual gods were at play shaping the destiny of the characters.
I agree as well. I believe supernatural things were at work here, but in accordance with my belief in the Bible, I understand these things to be evil spirit who use their power to reinforce the people’s beliefs in false gods. It’s certainly an interesting story to see a world in which everyone is very religious, but no one actually has the truth. It’s also very sad.
JuliaKay
Currently Reading: The Black Witch
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliakay.html
Latest Review: I Am Not Gog by Matthew James Hunt

Post by JuliaKay »

In ancient times, every aspect of life was ruled by the Gods. Fertility, crops, life and death, etcetera. So I think this book accurately portrayed it.
“A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies, said Jojen. The man who never reads lives only one.”
― George R.R. Martin, A Dance with Dragons
PeaceLoveNature44

Besides the visions, I felt more like they interpret things how they wanted. That the sacrifice to the Gods was for show, when in actuallity they can just say what they want for the message to be on their side or ease their peoples minds. Although, some felt that they were messengers, it can easy be interpreted differently by different people. Just like any religion or belief.
― Marcus Tullius Cicero
:tiphat: :techie-studyingbrown: :tiphat: :techie-studyingbrown: :tiphat: :techie-studyingbrown:
― Mahatma Gandhi
Don Pwai
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-don-pwai.html
Latest Review: The Orb by Tara Basi

Post by Don Pwai »

I do not think there are societies that still believe in gods and goddesses. They are a things of the past. There is only one supreme being.
Latest Review: The Orb by Tara Basi
AliceofX
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 361
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aliceofx.html
Latest Review: The Demon of Decay by Alex C. Gates
Reading Device: B00ICPVSYC

Post by AliceofX »

Don Pwai wrote: 02 Sep 2018, 00:22 I do not think there are societies that still believe in gods and goddesses.
Tell that to the 1 billion Hindus.
CommMayo
Currently Reading:

Post by CommMayo »

Don Pwai wrote: 02 Sep 2018, 00:22 I do not think there are societies that still believe in gods and goddesses. They are a things of the past. There is only one supreme being.
But don't modern societies fall on the same crutch with their God that the ancient ones do? We rely on people of the cloth to interpret God's teachings for us. These priests, bishops, pastors, rabbis are all giving us their interpretation and leading us where they want us to go. Historically, God was used to support slavery and the refusal to give full rights to women. Now it is used to control women's medical decisions and if a person can marry the person they love. Honestly, I see no difference between those villagers watching an animal being slaughtered for a sign from the gods and a person who won't bake a cake for a couple because their pastor said the Bible claims that homosexuality is a sin (it isn't, by the way).
PeaceLoveNature44

CommMayo wrote: 02 Sep 2018, 09:37
Don Pwai wrote: 02 Sep 2018, 00:22 I do not think there are societies that still believe in gods and goddesses. They are a things of the past. There is only one supreme being.
But don't modern societies fall on the same crutch with their God that the ancient ones do? We rely on people of the cloth to interpret God's teachings for us. These priests, bishops, pastors, rabbis are all giving us their interpretation and leading us where they want us to go. Historically, God was used to support slavery and the refusal to give full rights to women. Now it is used to control women's medical decisions and if a person can marry the person they love. Honestly, I see no difference between those villagers watching an animal being slaughtered for a sign from the gods and a person who won't bake a cake for a couple because their pastor said the Bible claims that homosexuality is a sin (it isn't, by the way).
I completely agree. We rely on others to interpret the word of God. I've studied many religions, and they are all similar. I feel, whatever makes you happy and such should be fine. Unless it's something that is like killing people....then don't do what makes you happy. :)
― Marcus Tullius Cicero
― Mahatma Gandhi
DancingLady
Currently Reading:
Latest Review: Believe What You Want To Believe by Alicia Kristine and George Williams

Post by DancingLady »

CommMayo wrote: 02 Sep 2018, 09:37
This isn’t exactly true. Christians do not have to rely on the clergy to interpret the Bible for them. We have the Word in our own hands and the Holy Spirit in our hearts teaching us. Pastors and teachers are important and used by God, but everyone is responsible to check the words of the teachers with the scriptures themselves and make sure that the person they are listening to is speaking truth.
CommMayo
Currently Reading:

Post by CommMayo »

DancingLady wrote: 02 Sep 2018, 10:43 This isn’t exactly true. Christians do not have to rely on the clergy to interpret the Bible for them. We have the Word in our own hands and the Holy Spirit in our hearts teaching us. Pastors and teachers are important and used by God, but everyone is responsible to check the words of the teachers with the scriptures themselves and make sure that the person they are listening to is speaking truth.
Yes, but much like the conversation in this forum about Celtic history being told from a Roman point of view, your scriptures are a man's interpretation of God's word. Even that lends towards bias at the hands of the authors. The holy documents you base your beliefs upon are interpretations that have been translated through many languages by men, whose biases are consciously or subconsciously being applied. I'm sure many religions would look quite different if it were only women interpreting scripture throughout history.
DancingLady
Currently Reading:

Post by DancingLady »

CommMayo wrote: 02 Sep 2018, 11:11
DancingLady wrote: 02 Sep 2018, 10:43 This isn’t exactly true. Christians do not have to rely on the clergy to interpret the Bible for them. We have the Word in our own hands and the Holy Spirit in our hearts teaching us. Pastors and teachers are important and used by God, but everyone is responsible to check the words of the teachers with the scriptures themselves and make sure that the person they are listening to is speaking truth.
Yes, but much like the conversation in this forum about Celtic history being told from a Roman point of view, your scriptures are a man's interpretation of God's word. Even that lends towards bias at the hands of the authors. The holy documents you base your beliefs upon are interpretations that have been translated through many languages by men, whose biases are consciously or subconsciously being applied. I'm sure many religions would look quite different if it were only women interpreting scripture throughout history.
I don’t believe that for a second. The scriptures are the very word of God, written exactly as He wants them and preserved by His power working through man. It’s not my place to convince anyone of this or anything else related to Christianity though, I will leave that to God.

But yes, when it comes to history, different cultures will definitely depicts others through the lens of their own beliefs and experiences, so it’s tather difficult to know what the people actually believed unless you have their own words written down with a lot of detail and clarity.
CommMayo
Currently Reading:

Post by CommMayo »

DancingLady wrote: 02 Sep 2018, 11:50 I don’t believe that for a second. The scriptures are the very word of God, written exactly as He wants them and preserved by His power working through man. It’s not my place to convince anyone of this or anything else related to Christianity though, I will leave that to God.

But yes, when it comes to history, different cultures will definitely depicts others through the lens of their own beliefs and experiences, so it’s tather difficult to know what the people actually believed unless you have their own words written down with a lot of detail and clarity.
So you believe that there was zero bias present when the King James Bible was translated? It was a translation, based on a translation, based on other translations. There are many different translations of the Bible, with a multitude of differences between them. Are all but one wrong? Can they all be correct if they all God's word being written through man? Is the Classical Hebrew Bible the only truly correct Bible?

Return to “Discuss "Apollo's Raven" by Linnea Tanner”