Women's Roles

Use this forum to discuss the September Book of the Month "Apollo's Raven" by Linnea Tanner.
Cristina Chifane
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Magic Mountain
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 898
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristina-chifane.html
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Women's Roles

Post by Cristina Chifane »

One of the things I liked about Linnea Tanner's novel is the portrayal of strong women. What is more, there are both positive and negative female characters such as Catrin, Queen Rhiannon, Vala, Mor or Rhan.

What do you think of their roles in the novel?
Is there any difference between the way Celts and Romans saw women and their roles?
Was the Celtic system genuinely promoting gender equality or not?
"The madness of writing is the antidote to true madness." (Hanif Kureishi)
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
gali
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

cristinaro wrote: 01 Sep 2018, 05:05 One of the things I liked about Linnea Tanner's novel is the portrayal of strong women. What is more, there are both positive and negative female characters such as Catrin, Queen Rhiannon, Vala, Mor or Rhan.

Is there any difference between the way Celts and Romans saw women and their roles?
I liked that too.

There was certainly difference between the way Celts and Romans' women. The Celt women had more freedom, were equal to the men, and could choose their own husbands (most times), while the Roman treated women as inferior. I am not sure the Celtic system genuinely promoted gender equality, as in some cases the women were forced to marry people of the other tribes in order to strength political connections.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
PeaceLoveNature44
Favorite Book: Apollo's Raven
Currently Reading: Cows I Have Known
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peacelovenature44.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner

Post by PeaceLoveNature44 »

I loved how they showed strong women right from the beginning.

I think the Romans were more harsh towards women. Treating them as nothing except for sex and birthing. Celtics show more like it was equal, or treated them better then what the Romans did. I think the Celtic men looked towards the women as well for advice. I guess they knew women knew better. ;)
“A room without books is like a body without a soul.”
― Marcus Tullius Cicero
:tiphat: :techie-studyingbrown: :tiphat: :techie-studyingbrown: :tiphat: :techie-studyingbrown:
Be the change that you wish to see in the world.”
― Mahatma Gandhi
CommMayo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-commmayo.html
Latest Review: Changed by Vicki Stiefel
Reading Device: B00G2Y4WNY

Post by CommMayo »

I'm not sure if the Romans were actually that dismissive of women in history. I did a little reading, and I think it was exaggerated a bit for the novel...which is totally fine.
Facennagoss
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-facennagoss.html
Latest Review: Will of The Hill by Marshall Cobb

Post by Facennagoss »

I think there was more equality amongst the Celts than the was with the Romans but I certainly wouldn’t split it 50/50. Having said that, I don’t think we are any further ahead today than the Celts were all those years ago.
edith38
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-edith38.html
Latest Review: Of Illusions and Ink Spills by Divya Hirani
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by edith38 »

cristinaro wrote: 01 Sep 2018, 05:05 One of the things I liked about Linnea Tanner's novel is the portrayal of strong women. What is more, there are both positive and negative female characters such as Catrin, Queen Rhiannon, Vala, Mor or Rhan.

I really like that the author had made this comparison between the women's role in two such major civilizations. What was the actual historical Celtic system is probably just a guessing game. Though as far as I have understood the Celtic background was nature religions (in AR's included through the female druids, ravens etc.) and there are plenty of examples in the nature of genders being equal or often female more in the leader position.
CommMayo
Currently Reading:

Post by CommMayo »

Facennagoss wrote: 01 Sep 2018, 14:04 Having said that, I don’t think we are any further ahead today than the Celts were all those years ago.
Amen on that one, sister...
Bukari
Currently Reading: Everything Solid Has a Shadow
Bookshelf Size: 99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bukari.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by Bukari »

We are all made differently, whether male or female. There are women who are very brave and curious about their ambitions. So these women will try to do whatever it takes to achieve their goals.
"Ever Tried. Ever Failed. No Matter. Try Again. Fail Again. Fail Better." - Samuel Beckett.
AliceofX
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 361
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aliceofx.html
Latest Review: The Demon of Decay by Alex C. Gates
Reading Device: B00ICPVSYC

Post by AliceofX »

cristinaro wrote: 01 Sep 2018, 05:05 Is there any difference between the way Celts and Romans saw women and their roles?
So I've been doing some reading and from what I understand there was no such thing as "Celts." Instead, it was various different tribes and people from the British Isles to Anatolia. There is no answer to that question because there was no such thing as a Celtic system.

Besides that, as a history lover, I have grown extremely skeptical about claims of ancient matriarchal or gender-equal societies. There's no solid evidence for them, just wishful thinking that doesn't align with reality. I'm just sick of certain feminists who think rewriting history is going to "inspire women" or something like that when all it does is delegitimize the movement and makes them appear like quacks.
JuliaKay
Currently Reading: The Black Witch
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliakay.html
Latest Review: I Am Not Gog by Matthew James Hunt

Post by JuliaKay »

I did enjoy the role of strong females in this book. I think that the Celts did have more acceptance for females than Romans in the story. In Greek and Roman history, women were seen as conniving and deceptive; however, Greek and Roman women were also known for being strong.
“A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies, said Jojen. The man who never reads lives only one.”
― George R.R. Martin, A Dance with Dragons
amandathebibliophile
Currently Reading: The Fox
Bookshelf Size: 158
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amandathebibliophile.html
Latest Review: Short of Love by Martin Knox

Post by amandathebibliophile »

I’m getting ready to read this book now, but from the sample alone I can state that I already loved the dichotomy between sisters. I’m also always a fan of strong female lead roles in fiction. The more the merrier!!
CommMayo
Currently Reading:

Post by CommMayo »

AmandaReadsBooks1 wrote: 01 Sep 2018, 16:18 I’m getting ready to read this book now, but from the sample alone I can state that I already loved the dichotomy between sisters. I’m also always a fan of strong female lead roles in fiction. The more the merrier!!
I hope you enjoy this book, but I admit to being pretty disappointed by the main female lead.
Lil Reads
Currently Reading: Chip’s World: Complex #31 and The Caretaker
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lil-reads.html
Latest Review: Pastoring is not what you think by Elijah Oladimeji

Post by Lil Reads »

Celtic women did tend to have more freedom and greater influence than their Roman equivalents, but in interactions with the Romans, Celtic women did not have the same power. For example, when Prasutagus, the husband of Boudicca, died without a son, he willed half his lands/property to Roman and half to his daughters and Boudicca. The Romans instead took all of it and brutalized all three.
:coffee3-smiley: :auto-mysterymachine:
Kajori Sheryl Paul
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 975
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kajori-sheryl-paul.html
Latest Review: Alien Bonds by Carmen Webster Buxton

Post by Kajori Sheryl Paul »

AliceofX wrote: 01 Sep 2018, 15:36
cristinaro wrote: 01 Sep 2018, 05:05 Is there any difference between the way Celts and Romans saw women and their roles?
So I've been doing some reading and from what I understand there was no such thing as "Celts." Instead, it was various different tribes and people from the British Isles to Anatolia. There is no answer to that question because there was no such thing as a Celtic system.

Besides that, as a history lover, I have grown extremely skeptical about claims of ancient matriarchal or gender-equal societies. There's no solid evidence for them, just wishful thinking that doesn't align with reality. I'm just sick of certain feminists who think rewriting history is going to "inspire women" or something like that when all it does is delegitimize the movement and makes them appear like quacks.
I completely agree with you. These attempts of rewriting history only makes the movement seem more flimsy. However, I have read that some matriarchal societies still exists in parts of India. Though I am not sure how much their ideals go with the established notions of Feminism.
gen_g
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

Facennagoss wrote: 01 Sep 2018, 14:04 I think there was more equality amongst the Celts than the was with the Romans but I certainly wouldn’t split it 50/50. Having said that, I don’t think we are any further ahead today than the Celts were all those years ago.
There has never been a truer statement than this! I do think we are still really far off, especially since nowadays the obstacles are generally not tangible.

Return to “Discuss "Apollo's Raven" by Linnea Tanner”