Who is your favorite classic literary author?

For August 2018, we will be reading Classic Literary Fiction.
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading: Beyond the Wand
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: The Movie Chair by Shari Borkin
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Who is your favorite classic literary author?

Post by Heidi M Simone »

• Do you happen to have a favorite author who has written at least one classic book?
  • What makes her/him your favorite?
  • Is there a specific book you loved from this author?
  • Who would you recommend this author to?
Heidi
Official Reviewer Representative

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
CJHeigelmann
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by CJHeigelmann »

Mark Twain. Simple, common sense on the surface, but introspectively profound on many levels, i.e. social, emotional. His work is as relevant today, as when he penned it a century ago.
Jessica Reehl
Currently Reading: Goodnight Irene
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessica-reehl.html
Latest Review: The Unbound Soul by Richard L. Haight
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Jessica Reehl »

I don't particularly like most classic literature. But, my favorites are Jack London and Harper Lee.
JHuschle519
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jhuschle519.html
Latest Review: End of the Last Great Kingdom by Victor Rose

Post by JHuschle519 »

For me, nothing will ever beat Harper Lee's To Kill a Mockingbird. There's something about the story that just makes the characters come to life, and even if you didn't grow up during that time frame or in that area you can still relate to them. I know that not long ago she released a sequel, but I haven't been able to bring myself to read it. I'm sure it's fantastic, but the original didn't leave me wanting anything more. It's been quite some time since I was in high-school, but I hope this one is still required reading.
Athena612
Currently Reading: Library of Souls
Bookshelf Size: 443
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-athena612.html
Latest Review: Pancake Money by Finn Bell

Post by Athena612 »

JHuschle519 wrote: 04 Aug 2018, 22:36 For me, nothing will ever beat Harper Lee's To Kill a Mockingbird. There's something about the story that just makes the characters come to life, and even if you didn't grow up during that time frame or in that area you can still relate to them. I know that not long ago she released a sequel, but I haven't been able to bring myself to read it. I'm sure it's fantastic, but the original didn't leave me wanting anything more. It's been quite some time since I was in high-school, but I hope this one is still required reading.
This is one of my daughter's favorite books of all time. She read it so many times, the book fell apart.
Athena612

Post by Athena612 »

I made a goal several years back to read one classic novel a year. I haven't been the greatest but I did find some amazing stories along the way.

I love The Count of Monte Cristo and all of the Lord of the Rings series.

Is it cliche to say I really do enjoy Jane Austen novels?
JHuschle519
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jhuschle519.html
Latest Review: End of the Last Great Kingdom by Victor Rose

Post by JHuschle519 »

Athena612 wrote: 05 Aug 2018, 12:08
JHuschle519 wrote: 04 Aug 2018, 22:36 For me, nothing will ever beat Harper Lee's To Kill a Mockingbird. There's something about the story that just makes the characters come to life, and even if you didn't grow up during that time frame or in that area you can still relate to them. I know that not long ago she released a sequel, but I haven't been able to bring myself to read it. I'm sure it's fantastic, but the original didn't leave me wanting anything more. It's been quite some time since I was in high-school, but I hope this one is still required reading.
This is one of my daughter's favorite books of all time. She read it so many times, the book fell apart.
That is great to hear! Has she, or you, reas the sequel? I am considering reading it, but I really don't want to be dissapointed if it doesn't measure up to the original.
Athena612

Post by Athena612 »

JHuschle519 wrote: 05 Aug 2018, 18:45
Athena612 wrote: 05 Aug 2018, 12:08
That is great to hear! Has she, or you, reas the sequel? I am considering reading it, but I really don't want to be dissapointed if it doesn't measure up to the original.
We own it, but neither of us have tried to read it. I have heard it is different from the first, which doesn't bother me. I am worried that we won't enjoy the style of writing.
Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

Post by Gravy »

I'm a sucker for Jane Austen, though I've only read one. (I know! I know! You guys can take turns yelling at me!)

I also have found that I quite enjoy H.G Wells. And (of course) Poe.

I think I am in need of a classic read. Perhaps that would stomp out my current slump. :lol:
Pronouns: She/Her

What is grief, if not love persevering?

Grief is just love with no place to go.
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

Gravy wrote: 07 Aug 2018, 07:13 I'm a sucker for Jane Austen, though I've only read one. (I know! I know! You guys can take turns yelling at me!)

I think I am in need of a classic read. Perhaps that would stomp out my current slump. :lol:
Ditto!

I love Jane Austen, especially her "Pride and prejudice" book.
A retired Admin/Mod

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Beth KG
Favorite Book: Time and Again
Currently Reading: Practice the Jealous Arts
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-beth-kg.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Post by Beth KG »

by Beth KG

It would be impossible to choose just one! The first few that come to mind are Edgar Rice Burroughs, Jules Verne, Mark Twain and Harper Lee. I would recommend any of their books to anyone! :geek2:
Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

Post by Gravy »

gali wrote: 07 Aug 2018, 07:40
Gravy wrote: 07 Aug 2018, 07:13 I'm a sucker for Jane Austen, though I've only read one. (I know! I know! You guys can take turns yelling at me!)

Ditto!

I love Jane Austen, especially her "Pride and prejudice" book.
I've yet to read that one. :)

I realized I've been missing my classics, so I started The Island of Dr. Moreau. Very good so far. I'm about halfway through. :)

What is grief, if not love persevering?

Grief is just love with no place to go.
HollandBlue
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hollandblue.html
Latest Review: It's Hard to Be a Vampire by Viktoria Faust
2024 Reading Goal: 24
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by HollandBlue »

CJHeigelmann wrote: 01 Aug 2018, 12:22 Mark Twain. Simple, common sense on the surface, but introspectively profound on many levels, i.e. social, emotional. His work is as relevant today, as when he penned it a century ago.
I totally agree!
:techie-studyinggray: when I get a little money I buy books; and if I have any left l buy food and clothes
Desiderius Erasmus Roterodamas
(1466-1536)
sarbearah
Currently Reading: Year One
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarbearah.html
Latest Review: Lara's Journal by A. Gavazzoni

Post by sarbearah »

I love Louisa May Alcott's Little Women and Harper Lee's To Kill a Mockingbird . They are both such amazing pieces of fiction - both coming-of-age novels that deal with loss and social commentary. Probably why I loved them so much when I first read them in middle school and why I love them so much today.
Kareka88
Favorite Book: A Ring of Endless Light
Currently Reading: The Rooster Bar
Bookshelf Size: 302
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kareka88.html
Latest Review: Will of The Hill by Marshall Cobb

Post by Kareka88 »

JRR Tolkien is by far my favorite classical author. He created a different world and language. His stories are the basis that all other fantasy writers base their writings.
"Life is an occasion - rise to it." Mr. Magorian

Return to “August 2018 Genre Discussion”