Classic Literary Fiction Discussion Help

For August 2018, we will be reading Classic Literary Fiction.
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading: Beyond the Wand
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: The Movie Chair by Shari Borkin
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Classic Literary Fiction Discussion Help

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Here is a place where we can discuss what novel we think we'll read this month or maybe ask for help from others about what to read. :reading-4:

I'm sure we all know several classics, but here are some that came to my mind:
  • Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen
  • The Scarlet Letter by Nathaniel Hawthorne
  • To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee
  • Frankenstein by Mary Wollstonecraft Shelley
  • Little Women by Louisa May Alcott
  • Dracula by Bram Stoker
:library:

Here are some Goodreads links that might be helpful to peruse:
- https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/142 ... ry_Fiction
- https://www.goodreads.com/shelf/show/classic-literature
- https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/130 ... f_All_Time

Also, don't forget to check out this forum on OBC: Classic Books
Heidi

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
Heidi M Simone
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading: Beyond the Wand
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: The Movie Chair by Shari Borkin
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

I'm thinking of reading To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee. Oddly enough, my high school did not require me to read this, so I never have. A while back, I tried to read it, but gave up. However, I am determined to fully read this classic.

Have others read To Kill a Mockingbird? What did you think of it?
Heidi

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
Asisha Joseph
Favorite Book: The Lord Of The Rings
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-asisha-joseph.html
Latest Review: Andalusian in Jerusalem by Mois benarroch

Post by Asisha Joseph »

hsimone wrote: 01 Aug 2018, 07:26 I'm thinking of reading To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee. Oddly enough, my high school did not require me to read this, so I never have. A while back, I tried to read it, but gave up. However, I am determined to fully read this classic.

Of course! I watched the movie first, so I knew what it was about, but the book has so much more details! Scout is a very unique and interesting POV to read from, and Atticus is one of my favourite fictional characters. If you haven't read it yet, hurry up! Have fun!

The movie is awfully good though. If you're intimidated by the idea of reading a huge book, maybe watch the movie first so you know what the story is about? That's how I did it (accidentally), obviously others will disagree. But it's totally up to you!
Asisha Joseph
Favorite Book: The Lord Of The Rings
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-asisha-joseph.html
Latest Review: Andalusian in Jerusalem by Mois benarroch

Post by Asisha Joseph »

hsimone wrote: 01 Aug 2018, 07:26 I'm thinking of reading To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee. Oddly enough, my high school did not require me to read this, so I never have. A while back, I tried to read it, but gave up. However, I am determined to fully read this classic.

I thought it was lovely! Scout is a very different and enjoyable POV to read from. And Atticus is awesome! He's one of my favourite fictional characters. If your haven't read it yet, go for it! Have fun!
I watched the movie first, though, entirely by accident. If you're intimidated by the idea of reading the book, maybe you can start with the movie first. Obviously some people will hate that idea, but I feel a slight knowledge of the storyline is helpful. And it's not like all the joy is lost, oh no! There's lot of extra details and little nitty-gritties that you don't see in the movie. They each have their own flavour.
PepperedPenelope
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pepperedpenelope.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by PepperedPenelope »

My book goal this year is to read more classics. I have been avidly searching lists, and found the BBC's top 100. I am currently working my way through Crime and Punishment. Its my second attempt with Russian literature. I read Anna Karenina and just... I really didnt like it. But I decided its time to try again. Plus my bookshelves are sorely lacking in books in translation.

I read Pride and Prejudice and loved it. I also really likes The Strange Case of Dr.Jekyll and Mr. Hyde - it really wasnt what I thought it would be.

My all time favorite classic is Sherlock Holmes!

Return to “August 2018 Genre Discussion”