Classic Literary Fiction Discussion

For August 2018, we will be reading Classic Literary Fiction.
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading: Beyond the Wand
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: The Movie Chair by Shari Borkin
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Classic Literary Fiction Discussion

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Happy August everyone! :D In June, we had a tie between two genres. Last month, we discussed one of the genres, and this month, we'll focus on the other.

A classic book can be considered as one that is noteworthy, outstanding, timeless, exemplary, etc. Within classic literary fiction, there are several sub-genres, which can include historical fiction, young adult, romance, science fiction, fantasy, mystery, and so much more.

As we share the classics we've read this month, let's consider the following:
  • What did you read?
  • Was this a new read or re-read for you?
  • Are there other genres woven into the text?
  • What makes this book a classic?
  • Share your overall opinion of the book.
Heidi
Official Reviewer Representative

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
HollandBlue
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hollandblue.html
Latest Review: It's Hard to Be a Vampire by Viktoria Faust
2024 Reading Goal: 24
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by HollandBlue »

My favorite classic is Gone With The Wind by Margaret Mitchell. Not only is it a classic; it's also a romance, an adventure, a drama, and a historical book. It is an epic adventure set in the southern United States during the Civil War. It focuses on the trials and tribulations of the books' heroine, Scarlett O'Hara. A strong female lead during a time when women were still considered to be the weaker sex, Scarlett is one of a kind!

Margaret Mitchell's writing style just flows and makes the book a true page turner. I really like how she develops her characters and that she chooses a female heroine. There is nothing that I don't like about this book. It is long, but the marvelous writing makes it easy to read. I recommend it to anyone who enjoys historical romances and strong-willed females as well as strong-willed males, Rhett Butler.

I could reread this book many times over and revisit the themes of love and war. It is an excellent novel that can be relevant to any time period.
:techie-studyinggray: when I get a little money I buy books; and if I have any left l buy food and clothes
Desiderius Erasmus Roterodamas
(1466-1536)
Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

Post by Gravy »

I read The Island of Dr. Moreau by H. G. Wells.

I suppose it would fall mostly into science fiction, but it also contains satire, adventure, horror...etc.

This may actually be one of my favorites of his books. I hadn't read it before, but I may wind up rereading it at some point.

It is so much more than what I've seen people make of it. It also feels so apt at this point in time.
Pronouns: She/Her

What is grief, if not love persevering?

Grief is just love with no place to go.
DATo
Previous Member of the Month
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by DATo »

The first one that comes to mind is Dicken's novel, David Copperfield (1901). I think its overarching genre would be classified as a bildungsroman i.e., a coming of age story, but there are also elements of humor and romance woven throughout the novel and in some respects it could also be considered a young adult novel since much of the history of the main character takes place when he is a child and young adult. Of course it would not be viewed from the perspective of an historical novel at the time Dicken's wrote it, but it can be viewed as such today, thus allowing for consideration of it being placed in the historical genre as well.

[EDIT] To answer your other question: I consider it Dicken's finest work. It was a total joy to read. Since reading it I have become aware that of all his work David Copperfield was Dicken's favorite as well.
“I just got out of the hospital. I was in a speed reading accident. I hit a book mark and flew across the room.”
― Steven Wright
Asisha Joseph
Favorite Book: The Lord Of The Rings
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-asisha-joseph.html
Latest Review: Andalusian in Jerusalem by Mois benarroch

Post by Asisha Joseph »

Lord of the Rings by JRR Tolkien. I didn't read it all, just my favourite bits. It was the book that got me into reading (and writing!) fantasy. Lovely, lovely book, and a spearhead of the fantasy genre. The idea of a fictional world, with fictional races, and epic wars and battles and the Good vs. Evil theme, all of it, it was so brilliantly managed and so beautifully written! I read it when I was around 12 I think? And the beauty is still there in my mind.

My second favourite classic is The Three Musketeers. I still remember reading the unabridged version in eighth grade (13 years) and enjoying every bit (might have skipped the lovey-dovey scenes). I especially loved Athos!

Return to “August 2018 Genre Discussion”