Who is your favorite classic literary author?

For August 2018, we will be reading Classic Literary Fiction.
Post Reply
User avatar
hsimone
Lilimaster of Bookshelves
Posts: 5212
Joined: 17 Jul 2015, 20:19
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2017 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 74
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 96
Currently Reading: The Bigfoot Paradox
Bookshelf Size: 434
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hsimone.html
Latest Review: Picture Perfect by D.G. Stern
Publishing Contest Votes: 27

Who is your favorite classic literary author?

Post by hsimone » 01 Aug 2018, 07:14

  • Do you happen to have a favorite author who has written at least one classic book?
  • What makes her/him your favorite?
  • Is there a specific book you loved from this author?
  • Who would you recommend this author to?
"Love is patient, love is kind." -1 Corinthians 13:4

User avatar
CJHeigelmann
Posts: 13
Joined: 26 Jan 2018, 22:15
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by CJHeigelmann » 01 Aug 2018, 12:22

Mark Twain. Simple, common sense on the surface, but introspectively profound on many levels, i.e. social, emotional. His work is as relevant today, as when he penned it a century ago.

Jessica Reehl
Posts: 54
Joined: 09 Jul 2018, 16:32
Currently Reading: Goodnight Irene
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessica-reehl.html
Latest Review: The Unbound Soul by Richard L. Haight
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Jessica Reehl » 03 Aug 2018, 19:27

I don't particularly like most classic literature. But, my favorites are Jack London and Harper Lee.

User avatar
JHuschle519
Posts: 64
Joined: 18 Jul 2018, 01:20
2018 Reading Goal: 40
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 95
Currently Reading: The Engine Woman's Light
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jhuschle519.html
Latest Review: World, Incorporated by Tom Gariffo

Post by JHuschle519 » 04 Aug 2018, 22:36

For me, nothing will ever beat Harper Lee's To Kill a Mockingbird. There's something about the story that just makes the characters come to life, and even if you didn't grow up during that time frame or in that area you can still relate to them. I know that not long ago she released a sequel, but I haven't been able to bring myself to read it. I'm sure it's fantastic, but the original didn't leave me wanting anything more. It's been quite some time since I was in high-school, but I hope this one is still required reading.

User avatar
Athena612
Posts: 11
Joined: 10 Jun 2018, 22:10
Currently Reading: Library of Souls
Bookshelf Size: 443
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-athena612.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin

Post by Athena612 » 05 Aug 2018, 12:08

JHuschle519 wrote:
04 Aug 2018, 22:36
For me, nothing will ever beat Harper Lee's To Kill a Mockingbird. There's something about the story that just makes the characters come to life, and even if you didn't grow up during that time frame or in that area you can still relate to them. I know that not long ago she released a sequel, but I haven't been able to bring myself to read it. I'm sure it's fantastic, but the original didn't leave me wanting anything more. It's been quite some time since I was in high-school, but I hope this one is still required reading.
This is one of my daughter's favorite books of all time. She read it so many times, the book fell apart.

User avatar
Athena612
Posts: 11
Joined: 10 Jun 2018, 22:10
Currently Reading: Library of Souls
Bookshelf Size: 443
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-athena612.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin

Post by Athena612 » 05 Aug 2018, 12:11

I made a goal several years back to read one classic novel a year. I haven't been the greatest but I did find some amazing stories along the way.

I love The Count of Monte Cristo and all of the Lord of the Rings series.

Is it cliche to say I really do enjoy Jane Austen novels?

User avatar
JHuschle519
Posts: 64
Joined: 18 Jul 2018, 01:20
2018 Reading Goal: 40
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 95
Currently Reading: The Engine Woman's Light
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jhuschle519.html
Latest Review: World, Incorporated by Tom Gariffo

Post by JHuschle519 » 05 Aug 2018, 18:45

Athena612 wrote:
05 Aug 2018, 12:08
JHuschle519 wrote:
04 Aug 2018, 22:36
For me, nothing will ever beat Harper Lee's To Kill a Mockingbird. There's something about the story that just makes the characters come to life, and even if you didn't grow up during that time frame or in that area you can still relate to them. I know that not long ago she released a sequel, but I haven't been able to bring myself to read it. I'm sure it's fantastic, but the original didn't leave me wanting anything more. It's been quite some time since I was in high-school, but I hope this one is still required reading.
This is one of my daughter's favorite books of all time. She read it so many times, the book fell apart.
That is great to hear! Has she, or you, reas the sequel? I am considering reading it, but I really don't want to be dissapointed if it doesn't measure up to the original.

User avatar
Athena612
Posts: 11
Joined: 10 Jun 2018, 22:10
Currently Reading: Library of Souls
Bookshelf Size: 443
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-athena612.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin

Post by Athena612 » 06 Aug 2018, 16:04

JHuschle519 wrote:
05 Aug 2018, 18:45
Athena612 wrote:
05 Aug 2018, 12:08
JHuschle519 wrote:
04 Aug 2018, 22:36
For me, nothing will ever beat Harper Lee's To Kill a Mockingbird. There's something about the story that just makes the characters come to life, and even if you didn't grow up during that time frame or in that area you can still relate to them. I know that not long ago she released a sequel, but I haven't been able to bring myself to read it. I'm sure it's fantastic, but the original didn't leave me wanting anything more. It's been quite some time since I was in high-school, but I hope this one is still required reading.
This is one of my daughter's favorite books of all time. She read it so many times, the book fell apart.
That is great to hear! Has she, or you, reas the sequel? I am considering reading it, but I really don't want to be dissapointed if it doesn't measure up to the original.
We own it, but neither of us have tried to read it. I have heard it is different from the first, which doesn't bother me. I am worried that we won't enjoy the style of writing.

User avatar
Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Posts: 31522
Joined: 27 Aug 2014, 02:02
2018 Reading Goal: 65
2017 Reading Goal: 60
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 55
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 78
Favorite Author: Too many to list
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: Black
Bookshelf Size: 883

Post by Gravy » 07 Aug 2018, 07:13

I'm a sucker for Jane Austen, though I've only read one. (I know! I know! You guys can take turns yelling at me!)

I also have found that I quite enjoy H.G Wells. And (of course) Poe.

I think I am in need of a classic read. Perhaps that would stomp out my current slump. :lol:
If we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them.

We've all got light and dark inside us. What matters is the part we choose to act on. That's who we really are.

User avatar
gali
Site Admin
Posts: 32289
Joined: 22 Oct 2013, 07:12
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2017 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 105
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 105
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Girl in the Tower
Bookshelf Size: 1856
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali » 07 Aug 2018, 07:40

Gravy wrote:
07 Aug 2018, 07:13
I'm a sucker for Jane Austen, though I've only read one. (I know! I know! You guys can take turns yelling at me!)

I also have found that I quite enjoy H.G Wells. And (of course) Poe.

I think I am in need of a classic read. Perhaps that would stomp out my current slump. :lol:
Ditto!

I love Jane Austen, especially her "Pride and prejudice" book.
In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)

Beth KG
Posts: 190
Joined: 17 May 2018, 09:27
Favorite Book: Time and Again
Currently Reading: final notice
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-beth-kg.html
Latest Review: World, Incorporated by Tom Gariffo

Post by Beth KG » 10 Aug 2018, 10:44

by Beth KG

It would be impossible to choose just one! The first few that come to mind are Edgar Rice Burroughs, Jules Verne, Mark Twain and Harper Lee. I would recommend any of their books to anyone! :geek2:

User avatar
Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Posts: 31522
Joined: 27 Aug 2014, 02:02
2018 Reading Goal: 65
2017 Reading Goal: 60
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 55
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 78
Favorite Author: Too many to list
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: Black
Bookshelf Size: 883

Post by Gravy » 11 Aug 2018, 22:18

gali wrote:
07 Aug 2018, 07:40
Gravy wrote:
07 Aug 2018, 07:13
I'm a sucker for Jane Austen, though I've only read one. (I know! I know! You guys can take turns yelling at me!)

I also have found that I quite enjoy H.G Wells. And (of course) Poe.

I think I am in need of a classic read. Perhaps that would stomp out my current slump. :lol:
Ditto!

I love Jane Austen, especially her "Pride and prejudice" book.
I've yet to read that one. :)


I realized I've been missing my classics, so I started The Island of Dr. Moreau. Very good so far. I'm about halfway through. :)
If we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them.

We've all got light and dark inside us. What matters is the part we choose to act on. That's who we really are.

User avatar
BookReader+6
Posts: 206
Joined: 04 Aug 2018, 16:37
2018 Reading Goal: 20
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 205
Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookreader-6.html
Latest Review: Peppermint Mocha Murder by Pam Moll

Post by BookReader+6 » 27 Aug 2018, 13:03

CJHeigelmann wrote:
01 Aug 2018, 12:22
Mark Twain. Simple, common sense on the surface, but introspectively profound on many levels, i.e. social, emotional. His work is as relevant today, as when he penned it a century ago.
I totally agree!
:techie-studyinggray: when I get a little money I buy books; and if I have any left l buy food and clothes
Desiderius Erasmus Roterodamas
(1466-1536)

User avatar
sarbearah
Posts: 28
Joined: 21 Jul 2018, 15:24
2018 Reading Goal: 15
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 140
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarbearah.html
Latest Review: Mistress Suffragette by Diana Forbes
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by sarbearah » 02 Sep 2018, 18:19

I love Louisa May Alcott's Little Women and Harper Lee's To Kill a Mockingbird . They are both such amazing pieces of fiction - both coming-of-age novels that deal with loss and social commentary. Probably why I loved them so much when I first read them in middle school and why I love them so much today.

User avatar
Kareka88
Posts: 167
Joined: 30 Jul 2018, 08:13
2018 Reading Goal: 25
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 180
Favorite Book: A Ring of Endless Light
Currently Reading: Shelter in Place
Bookshelf Size: 266
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kareka88.html
Latest Review: This Nearly Was Mine: A Novel by Nancy Farkas
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Kareka88 » 11 Sep 2018, 23:11

JRR Tolkien is by far my favorite classical author. He created a different world and language. His stories are the basis that all other fantasy writers base their writings.
"Life is an occasion - rise to it." Mr. Magorian

Post Reply

Return to “August 2018 Genre Discussion”