Kelly's role

Use this forum to discuss August 2018 book of the month "World, Incorporated" by Tom Gariffo.
holsam_87
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 1691
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-holsam-87.html
Latest Review: Herai by Aaron D Key
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Kelly's role

Post by holsam_87 »

What were your thoughts on Kelly's role? Did you think she was going to be a romantic interest? A turning point for Sliver to remind him of his humanity? Or was she just a tool for the author to teach his audience about what has happened in the world through the newspaper articles?
Samantha Holtsclaw

“We’ve all got both light and dark inside us. What matters is the part we choose to act on. That’s who we really are.”

—J. K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
Latest Review: Herai by Aaron D Key
[Valerie Allen]
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 776
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-valerie-allen.html
Latest Review: Utopia Project by Billy Dering

Post by [Valerie Allen] »

I simply thought Kelly was an extra addition, who was bitter enough to take revenge on Silver.
And another book was opened, which is the Book of Life. (Revelation 20:12 (NKJV) :reading-7:
joycechitwa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joycechitwa.html
Latest Review: Chrome Mountain by Ben Schneider

Post by joycechitwa »

I think her sole was to be Silver's girlfriend, just loaded with all the extras to make the story interesting.
C-Extra22
Currently Reading: Blessed By the darkness
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-c-extra22.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by C-Extra22 »

Just like you rightly said, I think she was there to remind Silver of his humanity.
Beth KG
Favorite Book: Time and Again
Currently Reading: Practice the Jealous Arts
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-beth-kg.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Post by Beth KG »

holsam_87 wrote: 24 Aug 2018, 10:53 What were your thoughts on Kelly's role? Did you think she was going to be a romantic interest? A turning point for Sliver to remind him of his humanity? Or was she just a tool for the author to teach his audience about what has happened in the world through the newspaper articles?
Yes, I absolutely thought she would be the romantic interest, though I don't think that actually evolved. I think she fulfilled the other two roles as well.
Italiansweety1982
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-italiansweety1982.html
Latest Review: Four Funny Potatoes! by Len Foley

Post by Italiansweety1982 »

I thought she was there to be a romantic interest. Appears she was there as a tool for other reasons though
Farmgurl1
Currently Reading: In the Shadow of the Master
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-farmgurl1.html
Latest Review: Betrayal of Justice by Mark M. Bello
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Farmgurl1 »

I definitely thought Kelly would be a love interest for Sliver in the story. I was actually very disappointed in her role in the book. I thought the author introduced Kelly in a unique way, and then her contribution to the story fell short. I think she did help Sliver's character with some self-awareness though, so that added some depth to the story.
Keevan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-keevan.html
Latest Review: Ripcord Recovery by T.T. Sawyer

Post by Keevan »

Farmgurl1 wrote: 30 Aug 2018, 11:19 I definitely thought Kelly would be a love interest for Sliver in the story. I was actually very disappointed in her role in the book. I thought the author introduced Kelly in a unique way, and then her contribution to the story fell short. I think she did help Sliver's character with some self-awareness though, so that added some depth to the story.
Hey. I have to say that I agree with you. I liked how Kelly was introduced by the author. I also agree that her part in the story fell short.
WendyNorth
Currently Reading: My Author Is Dead
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wendynorth.html
Latest Review: World, Incorporated by Tom Gariffo

Post by WendyNorth »

I felt Kelly's role was to spark a bit of humanity in Sliver. I'm actually relieved that she didn't become a love interest, as there wasn't enough character development to really want to connect the two other than what transpired between them. I do consider the idea that she might have just been there for the sake of presenting the news articles, but that could have been done differently.
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3038
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: Disappearance by Julien Ayotte

Post by Kibet Hillary »

I think that she served all the roles above. This includes how the reader finally understands how the past was through the news articles section.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Kibet Hillary
Currently Reading:

Post by Kibet Hillary »

I do, however, support the opinion that her main role was to help in the initiation of the transformation that Agent Silver underwent. It was a big turn around for all the events in the book.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Kibet Hillary
Currently Reading:

Post by Kibet Hillary »

kvlegaux wrote: 30 Aug 2018, 12:24
Farmgurl1 wrote: 30 Aug 2018, 11:19 I definitely thought Kelly would be a love interest for Sliver in the story. I was actually very disappointed in her role in the book. I thought the author introduced Kelly in a unique way, and then her contribution to the story fell short. I think she did help Sliver's character with some self-awareness though, so that added some depth to the story.
Hey. I have to say that I agree with you. I liked how Kelly was introduced by the author. I also agree that her part in the story fell short.
This is also true. I would have preferred if Kelly was able to live and perhaps be in the sequel of the book if it will be there. However, everything in a book or any work has a purpose. Her death meant something else. Maybe things would not have ended the way they did if she had not died.
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Bianka Walter
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: Thir13en by Keegan Nielsen
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Post by Bianka Walter »

I agree. I thought she was set up to be an integral part of the story, but then even her death fell a bit flat.
It was sad that, in the end, she actually didn't make that much of a difference.
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss
Bianka Walter
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: Thir13en by Keegan Nielsen
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Post by Bianka Walter »

WendyNorth wrote: 30 Aug 2018, 16:19 I felt Kelly's role was to spark a bit of humanity in Sliver. I'm actually relieved that she didn't become a love interest, as there wasn't enough character development to really want to connect the two other than what transpired between them. I do consider the idea that she might have just been there for the sake of presenting the news articles, but that could have been done differently.
I thought that if she HAD become a love interest, it would have been a bit disappointing. It was the easy way out of this particular story to pair the two of them together. Instead, I think their relationship grew beyond romance. It was refreshing.
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss
sanykip
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sanykip.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 2 by H.M. Irwing

Post by sanykip »

Kelly was an additional character for romance interest, mainly to relief Agent Silver

Return to “Discuss "World, Incorporated" by Tom Gariffo”