Kelly's role

Use this forum to discuss August 2018 book of the month "World, Incorporated" by Tom Gariffo.
User avatar
holsam_87
Posts: 629
Joined: 03 Feb 2018, 15:45
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 87
Currently Reading: The Face of Fear
Bookshelf Size: 350
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-holsam-87.html
Latest Review: It's Hard to Be a Vampire by Viktoria Faust
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Kelly's role

Post by holsam_87 » 24 Aug 2018, 10:53

What were your thoughts on Kelly's role? Did you think she was going to be a romantic interest? A turning point for Sliver to remind him of his humanity? Or was she just a tool for the author to teach his audience about what has happened in the world through the newspaper articles?
Samantha Holtsclaw

“We’ve all got both light and dark inside us. What matters is the part we choose to act on. That’s who we really are.”

—J. K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix

User avatar
ValBookReviews
Posts: 684
Joined: 17 Mar 2018, 23:24
2018 Reading Goal: 25
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 124
Currently Reading: McDowell
Bookshelf Size: 384
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-valbookreviews.html
Latest Review: Superhighway 2 by Alex Fayman

Post by ValBookReviews » 26 Aug 2018, 07:46

I simply thought Kelly was an extra addition, who was bitter enough to take revenge on Silver.
"And another book was opened, which is the Book of Life". (Revelation 20:12 (NKJV) :reading-7:

User avatar
joycechitwa
Posts: 344
Joined: 18 Jun 2018, 08:53
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joycechitwa.html
Latest Review: Chrome Mountain by Ben Schneider

Post by joycechitwa » 29 Aug 2018, 10:18

I think her sole was to be Silver's girlfriend, just loaded with all the extras to make the story interesting.

C-Extra22
Posts: 181
Joined: 29 Aug 2018, 20:10
Currently Reading: Blessed By the darkness
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-c-extra22.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by C-Extra22 » 30 Aug 2018, 08:48

Just like you rightly said, I think she was there to remind Silver of his humanity.

User avatar
Beth KG
Posts: 233
Joined: 17 May 2018, 09:27
Favorite Book: Time and Again
Currently Reading: Practice the Jealous Arts
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-beth-kg.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Post by Beth KG » 30 Aug 2018, 09:13

holsam_87 wrote:
24 Aug 2018, 10:53
What were your thoughts on Kelly's role? Did you think she was going to be a romantic interest? A turning point for Sliver to remind him of his humanity? Or was she just a tool for the author to teach his audience about what has happened in the world through the newspaper articles?
Yes, I absolutely thought she would be the romantic interest, though I don't think that actually evolved. I think she fulfilled the other two roles as well.

Italiansweety1982
Posts: 225
Joined: 21 Aug 2018, 21:14
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-italiansweety1982.html
Latest Review: Four Funny Potatoes! by Len Foley

Post by Italiansweety1982 » 30 Aug 2018, 11:03

I thought she was there to be a romantic interest. Appears she was there as a tool for other reasons though

User avatar
Farmgurl1
Posts: 283
Joined: 05 Jan 2018, 12:56
2018 Reading Goal: 50
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 76
Currently Reading: In the Shadow of the Master
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-farmgurl1.html
Latest Review: Betrayal of Justice by Mark M. Bello
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Farmgurl1 » 30 Aug 2018, 11:19

I definitely thought Kelly would be a love interest for Sliver in the story. I was actually very disappointed in her role in the book. I thought the author introduced Kelly in a unique way, and then her contribution to the story fell short. I think she did help Sliver's character with some self-awareness though, so that added some depth to the story.

User avatar
Keevan
Posts: 100
Joined: 25 Aug 2018, 23:10
2018 Reading Goal: 25
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 48
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-keevan.html
Latest Review: Ripcord Recovery by T.T. Sawyer

Post by Keevan » 30 Aug 2018, 12:24

Farmgurl1 wrote:
30 Aug 2018, 11:19
I definitely thought Kelly would be a love interest for Sliver in the story. I was actually very disappointed in her role in the book. I thought the author introduced Kelly in a unique way, and then her contribution to the story fell short. I think she did help Sliver's character with some self-awareness though, so that added some depth to the story.
Hey. I have to say that I agree with you. I liked how Kelly was introduced by the author. I also agree that her part in the story fell short.

User avatar
WendyNorth
Posts: 16
Joined: 15 Jul 2018, 14:07
Currently Reading: My Author Is Dead
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wendynorth.html
Latest Review: World, Incorporated by Tom Gariffo

Post by WendyNorth » 30 Aug 2018, 16:19

I felt Kelly's role was to spark a bit of humanity in Sliver. I'm actually relieved that she didn't become a love interest, as there wasn't enough character development to really want to connect the two other than what transpired between them. I do consider the idea that she might have just been there for the sake of presenting the news articles, but that could have been done differently.

User avatar
Kibetious
Posts: 1087
Joined: 26 Jul 2017, 01:48
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 45
Currently Reading: The Dream Keepers
Bookshelf Size: 491
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibetious.html
Latest Review: Daisies and Dragon Slayers In The Equator by Penny Singham

Post by Kibetious » 31 Aug 2018, 08:03

I think that she served all the roles above. This includes how the reader finally understands how the past was through the news articles section.
​​​​​​He gives strength to those who are tired; to the ones who lack power, he gives renewed energy :techie-studyinggray:

User avatar
Kibetious
Posts: 1087
Joined: 26 Jul 2017, 01:48
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 45
Currently Reading: The Dream Keepers
Bookshelf Size: 491
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibetious.html
Latest Review: Daisies and Dragon Slayers In The Equator by Penny Singham

Post by Kibetious » 31 Aug 2018, 08:11

I do, however, support the opinion that her main role was to help in the initiation of the transformation that Agent Silver underwent. It was a big turn around for all the events in the book.
​​​​​​He gives strength to those who are tired; to the ones who lack power, he gives renewed energy :techie-studyinggray:

User avatar
Kibetious
Posts: 1087
Joined: 26 Jul 2017, 01:48
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 45
Currently Reading: The Dream Keepers
Bookshelf Size: 491
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibetious.html
Latest Review: Daisies and Dragon Slayers In The Equator by Penny Singham

Post by Kibetious » 31 Aug 2018, 08:13

kvlegaux wrote:
30 Aug 2018, 12:24
Farmgurl1 wrote:
30 Aug 2018, 11:19
I definitely thought Kelly would be a love interest for Sliver in the story. I was actually very disappointed in her role in the book. I thought the author introduced Kelly in a unique way, and then her contribution to the story fell short. I think she did help Sliver's character with some self-awareness though, so that added some depth to the story.
Hey. I have to say that I agree with you. I liked how Kelly was introduced by the author. I also agree that her part in the story fell short.
This is also true. I would have preferred if Kelly was able to live and perhaps be in the sequel of the book if it will be there. However, everything in a book or any work has a purpose. Her death meant something else. Maybe things would not have ended the way they did if she had not died.
​​​​​​He gives strength to those who are tired; to the ones who lack power, he gives renewed energy :techie-studyinggray:

User avatar
Bianka Walter
Previous Member of the Month
Posts: 1180
Joined: 10 Feb 2018, 15:22
2018 Reading Goal: 40
2017 Reading Goal: 0
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 125
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading: In a Cottage In a Wood
Bookshelf Size: 327
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: The Face of Fear by R. J. Torbert
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Bianka Walter » 31 Aug 2018, 18:55

Farmgurl1 wrote:
30 Aug 2018, 11:19
I definitely thought Kelly would be a love interest for Sliver in the story. I was actually very disappointed in her role in the book. I thought the author introduced Kelly in a unique way, and then her contribution to the story fell short. I think she did help Sliver's character with some self-awareness though, so that added some depth to the story.
I agree. I thought she was set up to be an integral part of the story, but then even her death fell a bit flat.
It was sad that, in the end, she actually didn't make that much of a difference.
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss

User avatar
Bianka Walter
Previous Member of the Month
Posts: 1180
Joined: 10 Feb 2018, 15:22
2018 Reading Goal: 40
2017 Reading Goal: 0
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 125
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading: In a Cottage In a Wood
Bookshelf Size: 327
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: The Face of Fear by R. J. Torbert
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Bianka Walter » 31 Aug 2018, 18:57

WendyNorth wrote:
30 Aug 2018, 16:19
I felt Kelly's role was to spark a bit of humanity in Sliver. I'm actually relieved that she didn't become a love interest, as there wasn't enough character development to really want to connect the two other than what transpired between them. I do consider the idea that she might have just been there for the sake of presenting the news articles, but that could have been done differently.
I thought that if she HAD become a love interest, it would have been a bit disappointing. It was the easy way out of this particular story to pair the two of them together. Instead, I think their relationship grew beyond romance. It was refreshing.
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss

sanykip
Posts: 71
Joined: 25 Aug 2018, 13:56
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sanykip.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 2 by H.M. Irwing

Post by sanykip » 01 Sep 2018, 05:59

Kelly was an additional character for romance interest, mainly to relief Agent Silver

Post Reply

Return to “Discuss "World, Incorporated" by Tom Gariffo”