Is suicide a viable option for Agent Sliver?

Use this forum to discuss August 2018 book of the month "World, Incorporated" by Tom Gariffo.
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: Killing Shore
Bookshelf Size: 2389
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Re: Is suicide a viable option for Agent Sliver?

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

I don´t think suicide is an option. I do understand where the question comes from, but the correct way is to keep going and make amends for the crimes he committed, as far as it´s possible after everything that happened. It´s not only that it´s cowardly, but it´s ultimately useless and selfish and, even though this isn´t a handbook for morals or mental health, it would set a horrible life example to those struggling with depression, guilt, and suicide ideation.
Kat Berg
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Raven's Peak</a>
Currently Reading: James Baldwin
Bookshelf Size: 223
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kat-berg.html
Latest Review: Why Am I Here by Melvin Bell
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Kat Berg »

It is extremely difficult for me to consider suicide a "viable" option. It does not solve anything, although it does give a sort of escape, I suppose. But there is no change, there is no restoration, there is no opportunity to face the past, as difficult or ugly as it may be. I do not think of it as a coward's way out. That discounts the power of mental illness and depression.
Bushra Nasim
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bushra-nasim.html
Latest Review: Manifesto for a Cancer Patient by Colleen Huber, NMD

Post by Bushra Nasim »

Suicide should never be an option. :/
Oulababe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oulababe.html
Latest Review: Invisible Me by H M Irwing

Post by Oulababe »

I don't think it's a viable option. If the idea was for him to suffer the way he made others suffer then I think suicide is not the best option.
jjmainor
Currently Reading: The House Where Evil Dwells...Thirteen Tells
Bookshelf Size: 171
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jjmainor.html
Latest Review: Beyond Cloud Nine (Beyond Saga Book 1) by Greg Spry

Post by jjmainor »

It was interesting for a world without freedom as we know it, Sliver sees his decision not to take his own life as a triumph of his freedom of choice.
Noraine Alissa Poria
Currently Reading: Bro Code
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-noraine-alissa-poria.html
Latest Review: The Making Of A Con by Grace Larson

Post by Noraine Alissa Poria »

His reasons are understandable, but it shouldn't be an option he can still do something to change his life and he's a strong man.
Melchi Asuma
Currently Reading: Patch Man
Bookshelf Size: 134
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melchi-asuma.html
Latest Review: The Roving Mind: A Modern Approach to Cognitive Enhancement by Anthony Simola
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Melchi Asuma »

Suicide is not and shouldn't be considered as the only option in whatever the case and to whoever, including agent silver. It really does not fix any problems as much as it escapes them which is a bit cowardly.
MA
Allisunny
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-allisunny.html
Latest Review: My Author Is Dead by Michel Bruneau

Post by Allisunny »

I can see how suicide could be a tempting idea to someone like Agent Silver. I don't think it would happen, however. Redemption is more difficult, but it would also be more satisfying. I think that something as serious as suicide would only really be considered if there were no other possible paths to take.
Bon0
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bon0.html
Latest Review: The Traveler's Best Seller by Rick Incorvia

Post by Bon0 »

Despite the need to atone, suicide is never the answer.
sirchijioke
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by sirchijioke »

If I were to be in agent silver's shoes, I might go ahead with the suicide because I don't think I will leave peacefully knowing what I have done but suicide it's the cowards way out but agent has never been a coward
Lucas Kalinic
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lucas-kalinic.html
Latest Review: The Spirit of Want by William H. Coles

Post by Lucas Kalinic »

It's good he is remorseful for his actions. He regrets having done killings. However, a suicidal ending is not the best option
Jkhorner
Currently Reading: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid
Bookshelf Size: 421
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jkhorner.html
Latest Review: The Stipulations of the New Covenant by Ralph E. Bass, Jr.

Post by Jkhorner »

It is tempting to say suicide is a viable option for people with evil pasts, because it eliminates the need for others to justly respond to their crimes. When watching from afar often we do feel a sense of justice when someone remorsefully carries out the death sentence with his own hand.

But it is not right. Suicide should never be the solution to problem, no matter how evil, current, or difficult that problem may be. The correct solution for a truly repentant person is to hand himself to the appropriate governing body and accept whatever justice they choose.
stacie k
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stacie-k.html
Latest Review: River Kids by Jennie Linnane

Post by stacie k »

Jkhorner wrote: 25 Sep 2018, 13:07 It is tempting to say suicide is a viable option for people with evil pasts, because it eliminates the need for others to justly respond to their crimes. When watching from afar often we do feel a sense of justice when someone remorsefully carries out the death sentence with his own hand.

But it is not right. Suicide should never be the solution to problem, no matter how evil, current, or difficult that problem may be. The correct solution for a truly repentant person is to hand himself to the appropriate governing body and accept whatever justice they choose.
You share an interesting perspective here. I could see the temptation to choose suicide if I was forced to trust in "whatever justice they choose." Without a belief in God's grace, there is little hope in moving forward.
“The tongue of the wise makes knowledge acceptable.” Proverbs 15:2a
LV2R
Favorite Book: Crown of Crimson (The Afterlight Chronicles Book 1)
Currently Reading: Roan
Bookshelf Size: 345
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lv2r.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by LV2R »

No, I don't think suicide is a viable option for Sliver. I think Agent Sliver can work out his guilt and past deeds. Now, he can change into a better man.
khan-panni
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by khan-panni »

Fozia-Bajwa wrote: 09 Aug 2018, 06:34 No I don't think so he should not think about suicide because suicide is not a viable option for Silver. Rather he should take stand in front of his responsibilities and should perform his duties by awareness.
No suicide is not better way....of any problem........like for every lock their is a key.....like is every problem have Good solution.

Return to “Discuss "World, Incorporated" by Tom Gariffo”