Technological advancements

Use this forum to discuss August 2018 book of the month "World, Incorporated" by Tom Gariffo.
Bianka Walter
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: Thir13en by Keegan Nielsen
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Technological advancements

Post by Bianka Walter »

This book is set 40 years into the future. There are various technological advancements including one of the main characters, Franklin, who is an onboard computer. He is capable of intelligent conversation, decision making, and driving agent Sliver's airship. I'm not sure if this type of advancement is achievable within the next 40 years. Based on the other technologies in the book, which ones do you think are possible in the foreseeable future?
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss
JHuschle519
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jhuschle519.html
Latest Review: End of the Last Great Kingdom by Victor Rose

Post by JHuschle519 »

Well, I think the first on ewe would see would be the watch that Agent Sliver uses to access all of his mission data. It's obviously far more advanced than today's smartwatches, but not by that much.

The other technology in this book that I see as possibly in the near future, although I hope to God it never comes to be, is the personalized advertisements throughout the cities. We already have facial recognition, and databases full of our consumer information, so it wouldn't be that much of a stretch to make this type of technology happen.
Eryn Bradshaw
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eryn-bradshaw.html
Latest Review: The Witchstone by Victoria Randall

Post by Eryn Bradshaw »

I disagree, I think this technology is right around the corner. Just take a look at Sophia the Robot, granted she is scripted and programmed, but the aim is to get to the point where AI to be more self-thinking. But I think it's important for these people who are developing AI to stay morally good. At this point though, it's a race to see who can come up with actual AI.
“Live, and be happy, and make others so.”
― Mary Wollstonecraft Shelley
Abigail R
Currently Reading: The Problem of Pain
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abigail-r.html
Latest Review: My Prism Window by P. A. Schweizer

Post by Abigail R »

Franklin is an interesting and slightly plausible technology. We have so many technologies that we talk with daily that talk back so it wouldn't be too much of a surprise. It would maybe not be as intelligent and responsive as Franklin.
Sanju Lali
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Goodbye, Rudy Kazoody
Bookshelf Size: 445
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sanju-lali.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Sanju Lali »

Franklin is a imaginary character and it is very difficult to get such on board computer even in future because complexities will multiply as technology advances. It is only good if robots stay as slaves because if they are to become masters entire purpose of making them is defeated.
life is only knowing the unknown, we can do this by reading books easily- Online book club is a great place for this. This is what I believe.
Bianka Walter
Currently Reading:

Post by Bianka Walter »

JHuschle519 wrote: 01 Aug 2018, 08:56 Well, I think the first on ewe would see would be the watch that Agent Sliver uses to access all of his mission data. It's obviously far more advanced than today's smartwatches, but not by that much.

The other technology in this book that I see as possibly in the near future, although I hope to God it never comes to be, is the personalized advertisements throughout the cities. We already have facial recognition, and databases full of our consumer information, so it wouldn't be that much of a stretch to make this type of technology happen.
Absolutely. When I was reading, I actually thought about how the internet tracks your movements and shows you adverts according to what you have been surfing. I suppose this is the same premise.
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss
Bianka Walter
Currently Reading:

Post by Bianka Walter »

Eryn Bradshaw wrote: 01 Aug 2018, 12:40 I disagree, I think this technology is right around the corner. Just take a look at Sophia the Robot, granted she is scripted and programmed, but the aim is to get to the point where AI to be more self-thinking. But I think it's important for these people who are developing AI to stay morally good. At this point though, it's a race to see who can come up with actual AI.
So, yes. If you compare where we were 40 years ago, ANYTHING is possible. We didn't even have internet then. I mean, how did we function?? I agree with the technology being close... but I wonder how close to actually having working, intelligent prototypes.
- Dr. Seuss
Eryn Bradshaw
Currently Reading:

Post by Eryn Bradshaw »

Bianka Walter wrote: 01 Aug 2018, 12:59
Eryn Bradshaw wrote: 01 Aug 2018, 12:40 I disagree, I think this technology is right around the corner. Just take a look at Sophia the Robot, granted she is scripted and programmed, but the aim is to get to the point where AI to be more self-thinking. But I think it's important for these people who are developing AI to stay morally good. At this point though, it's a race to see who can come up with actual AI.
So, yes. If you compare where we were 40 years ago, ANYTHING is possible. We didn't even have internet then. I mean, how did we function?? I agree with the technology being close... but I wonder how close to actually having working, intelligent prototypes.
It's definitely hard to say how close anyone is without anyone actually coming out and saying "We've done this thing!" Personally, I think the ball for technology just keeps rolling faster and faster. Just looking at how much it's progressed in the last 20, 10, or even 5 years is insane to think about. It's an interesting topic to think about and debate about though.
Bukari
Currently Reading: Everything Solid Has a Shadow
Bookshelf Size: 99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bukari.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by Bukari »

Definitely, I do know that many new exploits are yet to be carried out by scientists. But I doubt the existence of ships transporting by air, may be the form or shape would also be modified.
"Ever Tried. Ever Failed. No Matter. Try Again. Fail Again. Fail Better." - Samuel Beckett.
Bianka Walter
Currently Reading:

Post by Bianka Walter »

Eryn Bradshaw wrote: 01 Aug 2018, 13:03
It's definitely hard to say how close anyone is without anyone actually coming out and saying "We've done this thing!" Personally, I think the ball for technology just keeps rolling faster and faster. Just looking at how much it's progressed in the last 20, 10, or even 5 years is insane to think about. It's an interesting topic to think about and debate about though.
I would love to see into the future. And you're so right, we actually know zip about what's really happening with regards to the real technological 'eurekas' of the world. I'll meet you back here in 10 years :wink:
- Dr. Seuss
JuliaKay
Currently Reading: The Black Witch
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliakay.html
Latest Review: I Am Not Gog by Matthew James Hunt

Post by JuliaKay »

I think forty years a long time, and that this type of advancement actually is possible. AI has been something that they've been working on for years, and I don't know that the general public fully understands where they are in the process.
“A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies, said Jojen. The man who never reads lives only one.”
― George R.R. Martin, A Dance with Dragons
Eryn Bradshaw
Currently Reading:

Post by Eryn Bradshaw »

Bianka Walter wrote: 01 Aug 2018, 14:08
Eryn Bradshaw wrote: 01 Aug 2018, 13:03

I would love to see into the future. And you're so right, we actually know zip about what's really happening with regards to the real technological 'eurekas' of the world. I'll meet you back here in 10 years :wink:
Sounds good! Time to go to my sleep pod! :lol2:
Bianka Walter
Currently Reading:

Post by Bianka Walter »

JuliaKay wrote: 01 Aug 2018, 14:21 I think forty years a long time, and that this type of advancement actually is possible. AI has been something that they've been working on for years, and I don't know that the general public fully understands where they are in the process.
That's exactly what Eryn was saying. And I totally agree. I think that us 'normal' people down here on the ground would probably be quite shocked to learn where humankind is in terms of advanced tech.
Forty years is a LONG time for advancement. Where were we in 1978 with our boom boxes and cord phones (with that clicking circle that you had to wait till it got back to zero before you could dial the next number).
- Dr. Seuss
Julie Green
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julie-green.html
Latest Review: Fate Line by Marc J. Seifer

Post by Julie Green »

I am absolutely sure some of the technologies referred to in the book will be with us within our lifetimes. Some already are - retinal identification, for example, now almost feels like an old technology!
MishM1
Favorite Book: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat
Currently Reading: Five Knocks
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mishm1.html
Latest Review: Pastoring is not what you think by Elijah Oladimeji

Post by MishM1 »

I genuinely think that self-thinking Artificial Intelligence is achievable within the very near future. It's a scary thought but it doesn't seem so far off from what we have now.
Mishael M.

Return to “Discuss "World, Incorporated" by Tom Gariffo”