Is Agent Silver an anti-hero?

Use this forum to discuss August 2018 book of the month "World, Incorporated" by Tom Gariffo.
Issahak sulemana
Currently Reading: Sammi
Bookshelf Size: 7

Re: Is Agent Silver an anti-hero?

Post by Issahak sulemana »

I think he is anti hero when moving well in life u shouldnt allow your self to be confronted in bad thing that happened in the past
Sunnyroyish
Currently Reading: Journey of a Bedroom Poet
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sunnyroyish.html
Latest Review: Mythic Worlds and the One You Can Believe In by Harold Toliver

Post by Sunnyroyish »

Sometimes we have to use fire for fire. The character agent Silva in World Incorporated is just doing the same. He is doing his work. And I think as an agent it is quite justifiable.
Life is just a parenthesis in the vastness of infinity.
jay_2
Currently Reading: Adrift
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jay-2.html
Latest Review: The Unbound Soul by Richard L. Haight

Post by jay_2 »

I seriously don’t think he was an antihero. He was doing his job, especially to the best of his abilities. He was doing what he thought was right. That’s all there is to it. Definitely not an antihero in my opinion
Fu Zaila
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1067
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fuzaila.html
Latest Review: What's Your Favorite Color? by Amber L Lassiter

Post by Fu Zaila »

Sunnyroyish wrote: 04 Aug 2018, 14:31 Sometimes we have to use fire for fire. The character agent Silva in World Incorporated is just doing the same. He is doing his work. And I think as an agent it is quite justifiable.

But sometimes, doing a work which defying morals isn't very justifiable.
"Create your own identity. Let it be unique for yourself yet identifiable for others." :tiphat:
Alicia09
Currently Reading: The Cartel Crusher
Bookshelf Size: 270
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alicia09.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Alicia09 »

I think Agent Sliver is an anti-hero, but I ended up rooting for him anyway because his desire for revenge on Ancarn was justified based on everything Ancarn's corporation put him through. I also ended up rooting for Agent Sliver because even though some of his targets seemed non-threatening (like the professor), he had no other options for employment at the time Fellrock hired him so doing his job was a means for his survival.
:character-ariel:
Fu Zaila
Currently Reading:

Post by Fu Zaila »

sheeps44 wrote: 01 Aug 2018, 13:18 Well, he certainly isn't a classical anti-hero, but he is certainly a modern anti-hero. He is willing to do evil unto evil.
I wouldn't exactly classify that as modern anti-heroism to be honest 😅
"Create your own identity. Let it be unique for yourself yet identifiable for others." :tiphat:
Fu Zaila
Currently Reading:

Post by Fu Zaila »

Alicia09 wrote: 05 Aug 2018, 16:22 I think Agent Sliver is an anti-hero, but I ended up rooting for him anyway because his desire for revenge on Ancarn was justified based on everything Ancarn's corporation put him through. I also ended up rooting for Agent Sliver because even though some of his targets seemed non-threatening (like the professor), he had no other options for employment at the time Fellrock hired him so doing his job was a means for his survival.
If that's the case I don't understand why you would see him as an anti-hero? But maybe everyone has a different opinion on what makes a person a hero or a villain. But I do agree, most of the times we end up rooting for the MC whether he is the hero or the anti-hero.
Fu Zaila
Currently Reading:

Post by Fu Zaila »

jay_2 wrote: 04 Aug 2018, 17:36 I seriously don’t think he was an antihero. He was doing his job, especially to the best of his abilities. He was doing what he thought was right. That’s all there is to it. Definitely not an antihero in my opinion
I don't think he felt what he was doing was right. Sometimes he was acting against his own morals. Even if he did his best most of the time.
Fu Zaila
Currently Reading:

Post by Fu Zaila »

Issahak sulemana wrote: 03 Aug 2018, 18:32 I think he is anti hero when moving well in life u shouldnt allow your self to be confronted in bad thing that happened in the past
It wasn't as if he was actually doing 'well' in life. Or maybe it was. He had a job he did well. But I agree, one shouldn't ponder over the past. But for someone in Agent Silver's position, that's a difficult thing to do, especially when your past was traumatic.
Fu Zaila
Currently Reading:

Post by Fu Zaila »

sanjus wrote: 01 Aug 2018, 13:00 Agent silver cant be a anti hero as as per his previous situation his actions were right and he is obliged to do so as per requirement of his job for which he is paid. if he did not like to do such work he should have immediately resigned.
In such a situation as his, finding a job itself is a big task, much less a well paying one. We can't blame him for doing something for survival.
chelhack
Favorite Book: My Trip To Adele
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 381
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chelhack.html
Latest Review: E-M-P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by chelhack »

I do not think that he is an anti-hero. If he had a guilt on his conscience and felt that he is now trying to righten his wrong I don't see how that would qualify him as being an anti-hero.
Dabuddhababe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dabuddhababe.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman

Post by Dabuddhababe »

Silver was a product of tragedy and abuse. In my eyes, he did his best to keep himself alive and help others. At the end he was willing to be killed in order to get the truth. Most of his story was about trying to get revenge for his family. But, I feel like it was revenge for more then just his family.

That being said I dont think silver is a hero. He was just doing what he thought was right, even when it hurt others. He became a better person, but no hero.
Dusamae
Favorite Book: End of the Last Great Kingdom
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 116
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dusamae.html
Latest Review: The Sparrow by Denna M. Davis

Post by Dusamae »

I don't think anti-hero, at least the people he didn't kill would think so. I think the mind control and drugs convinced him, though it was through lies, that he was doing the right thing by working for World, Inc. So, yes I think his actions are justified.
obifemade
Currently Reading: The Three Musketeers ((Musketeers Cycle)
Bookshelf Size: 19

Post by obifemade »

He is an anti hero because even though he was doing is job. That kind of job is unpleasant anyway so, he should have resign for money is not everything.
P Reefer
Favorite Book: The Lost Identity Casualties
Currently Reading: De Facto Feminisn
Bookshelf Size: 159
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-p-reefer.html
Latest Review: The McCoys Before The Feud by Thomas McCoy

Post by P Reefer »

In the role of a henchman Agent Silver is most definitely an anti-hero. He is an ordinary man who is attempting to do his selected job to the best of his ability.

Return to “Discuss "World, Incorporated" by Tom Gariffo”