Do you think this book predicts the future?

Use this forum to discuss August 2018 book of the month "World, Incorporated" by Tom Gariffo.
Sumra Abbas
Posts: 21
Joined: 29 Jul 2018, 12:37
Currently Reading: Bama Boy
Bookshelf Size: 14

Re: Do you think this book predicts the future?

Post by Sumra Abbas » 14 Sep 2018, 08:24

21st century is no more about nuclear wars. Its time of economic and technological war now. Economically china is being appearing on globe as strong power while technologically Russia is giving really tough competition to USA. Based upon these evidences i believe the writer is totally rational in his prediction that US wouldnt be able to enjoy as sole super power like before, of course in near future.

User avatar
Vlinstry
Posts: 44
Joined: 17 Feb 2018, 18:43
2018 Reading Goal: 20
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 20
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vlinstry.html
Latest Review: The Embalmer by Vincent Zandri

Post by Vlinstry » 14 Sep 2018, 10:12

I think that it is possible that it may just predict the future. I think quite a few things need to change before we will avoid this future anyway.

User avatar
Dael Reader
Posts: 568
Joined: 05 May 2018, 08:39
Currently Reading: Hippie
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dael-reader.html
Latest Review: Red - Bastard Child by David Valley
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Dael Reader » 14 Sep 2018, 14:18

While I do think the country is going to hell in a hand basket with the present administration, I don't think we're in quite as much danger of having the central government lose complete control to commercial enterprises. I think it would be more likely that more control would be shifted from the central government to state governments, which could lead to even greater problems as each state makes its own laws without respect for civil rights.

User avatar
Kat Berg
Posts: 776
Joined: 05 Oct 2017, 22:29
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2017 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 23
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 8
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Raven's Peak</a>
Currently Reading: James Baldwin
Bookshelf Size: 224
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kat-berg.html
Latest Review: Why Am I Here by Melvin Bell
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Kat Berg » 14 Sep 2018, 23:26

I definitely think that the US could lose its power. In the near future? I don't know. And I don't think that the world imagined in this book is especially likely, even though it is an interesting read for some. (Not me. Time travel books frustrate me, and this one especially.) But I do think that these kinds of books serve a purpose of warning, even if the premise is a bit far-fetched, the premise that a country can devolve and lose power isn't.

User avatar
Jafe
Posts: 5
Joined: 07 Sep 2018, 03:39
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jafe.html
Latest Review: Chrome Mountain by Ben Schneider

Post by Jafe » 14 Sep 2018, 23:36

The notion of corporations being the actual power behind American politics is not new. The hidden forces behind power and politics are taking a stronger hold. I believe that with just the right plan and resource, the events narrated are not far from a future reality. This book may just be a true prediction of the future.

User avatar
Harikumar G
Posts: 1
Joined: 15 Sep 2018, 07:54
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Harikumar G » 15 Sep 2018, 08:05

I don't think it predicts the future. We don't know what the future holds and I would want to begin reading the book with that in mind. I like the imagination it took , but it needs to be read as entertainment, getting to know the characters and their part in this story, rather than trying to figure out if our world will be like this in the future, or not.

User avatar
Mr Benji
Posts: 128
Joined: 16 Jan 2018, 03:34
2018 Reading Goal: 20
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 30
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mr-benji.html
Latest Review: Andalusian in Jerusalem by Mois benarroch

Post by Mr Benji » 17 Sep 2018, 06:35

Abigail R wrote:
01 Aug 2018, 12:48
I find it incredibly possible for the United States to lose power at some point in the future. It is still a relatively young country and unrest is rising. I have not read enough of the book yet to say whether or not this specific would is a possibility but at this point, anything is possible.
I quite agree, because it is hard to remain on top when there are so much competition in all areas of development by other countries.

Yours sincerely.
Wise men lay up knowledge
(Proverbs 10:14)

User avatar
Mr Benji
Posts: 128
Joined: 16 Jan 2018, 03:34
2018 Reading Goal: 20
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 30
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mr-benji.html
Latest Review: Andalusian in Jerusalem by Mois benarroch

Post by Mr Benji » 17 Sep 2018, 06:38

sanjus wrote:
01 Aug 2018, 12:55
Everything will depend on collective belief of the citizens because they are the one who will decide about the future. Present day governments and corporates only can try to shape their belief.
I quite agree because the power of the government depends on the citizens and the desire to help create a future for themselves.
Wise men lay up knowledge
(Proverbs 10:14)

User avatar
Mr Benji
Posts: 128
Joined: 16 Jan 2018, 03:34
2018 Reading Goal: 20
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 30
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mr-benji.html
Latest Review: Andalusian in Jerusalem by Mois benarroch

Post by Mr Benji » 17 Sep 2018, 06:42

JuliaKay wrote:
01 Aug 2018, 14:23
This is a definite possibility. The political climate in the U.S. right now is really damaging the relationships with other countries, and there does not seem to be an emphasis on advances. I would not be surprised if the U.S. was not a world leader in 10 years, let alone 40.
keeping a good relationship with other countries is not as easy as you think as personal interests are mostly considered.
And Research in technology advancement costs a lot of money.


Yours sincerely.
Wise men lay up knowledge
(Proverbs 10:14)

Bon0
Posts: 46
Joined: 04 Sep 2018, 07:25
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bon0.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Bon0 » 17 Sep 2018, 14:27

The chances of that happening are low. But still, we can't know.

User avatar
sanjus
Posts: 539
Joined: 08 May 2018, 12:47
2018 Reading Goal: 25
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 56
Currently Reading: It's Easier to Dance
Bookshelf Size: 224
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sanjus.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by sanjus » 17 Sep 2018, 14:40

Common man across the world is already in lot of distress because he is being exploited by rich and powerful. It just required one big trigger for starting of new kind of revolution which will leave big impact on present political scenario. The state comes first then comes bossinesses because the latter is just in existence by the support of state and if state has will power it can close the businesses in days if not in hours.
life is only knowing the unknown, we can do this by reading books easily

[Krista_Michelle86]
Posts: 22
Joined: 01 Aug 2018, 19:37
Currently Reading: Practical Magic
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-krista-michelle86.html
Latest Review: Undead Redhead by Jen Frankel

Post by [Krista_Michelle86] » 18 Sep 2018, 09:06

sharkyjen998 wrote:
01 Aug 2018, 14:43
I really enjoyed reading this book! I think it is entirely possible that such a dystopia could occur. According to our current legal system, corporations are people too. Can you imagine a company such as Google taking a stand against big goverments like the US? They actually already are! Recently, the company pulled out of Project Maven because their technology was being used by the Pentagon in controversial (and illegal) wars.

Imagine Elon Musk really solving the Flint water crisis (as he has pledged to do on Twitter). People would start to realize that we don't need these corrupt politicians anymore, but rich corporations will be there to fill the power vacuum!
Hi wow, I disagree with you so hard. The dystopia in this book is exactly the late stage capitalist hellscape we live in now. There is no "power vacuum" for rich corporations to fill, they already have the power. I'm honestly confused why anyone would think otherwise.

Google doesn't care about their technology being used in controversial or illegal wars, and Elon Musk does not care about Flint, MI. When corporations like Google "take a stand" against the government, they are absolutely NOT doing it for principles.

Elon Musk is worshipped by geeks everywhere but he's fake. Trying to help rescue those stranded kids from the cave was just a stunt, meant to serve his own inflated ego. If it was anything else, then he wouldn't have felt the need to attack the kids' real rescuer in a Twitter rant labeling him a "pedo" when the man let everyone know that Musk's efforts to help didn't pan out. As far as lifting a finger to help Flint, I'll believe that when I see it. And if he HAD managed to save those stranded kids, if he DOES make good on his promise to Flint, it doesn't change the fact that he's pleased to force his own employees at Tesla to work in dangerous conditions with unfair rules. Google is famous worldwide for its tax avoidance. Corporate activism is just another frontier in marketing. There is NO corporate interest outside of money.

User avatar
sharkyjen998
Posts: 192
Joined: 28 Jul 2018, 14:23
Favorite Book: Apollo's Raven
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sharkyjen998.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner

Post by sharkyjen998 » 18 Sep 2018, 13:57

[Krista_Michelle86] wrote:
18 Sep 2018, 09:06
sharkyjen998 wrote:
01 Aug 2018, 14:43
I really enjoyed reading this book! I think it is entirely possible that such a dystopia could occur. According to our current legal system, corporations are people too. Can you imagine a company such as Google taking a stand against big goverments like the US? They actually already are! Recently, the company pulled out of Project Maven because their technology was being used by the Pentagon in controversial (and illegal) wars.

Imagine Elon Musk really solving the Flint water crisis (as he has pledged to do on Twitter). People would start to realize that we don't need these corrupt politicians anymore, but rich corporations will be there to fill the power vacuum!
Hi wow, I disagree with you so hard. The dystopia in this book is exactly the late stage capitalist hellscape we live in now. There is no "power vacuum" for rich corporations to fill, they already have the power. I'm honestly confused why anyone would think otherwise.

Google doesn't care about their technology being used in controversial or illegal wars, and Elon Musk does not care about Flint, MI. When corporations like Google "take a stand" against the government, they are absolutely NOT doing it for principles.

Elon Musk is worshipped by geeks everywhere but he's fake. Trying to help rescue those stranded kids from the cave was just a stunt, meant to serve his own inflated ego. If it was anything else, then he wouldn't have felt the need to attack the kids' real rescuer in a Twitter rant labeling him a "pedo" when the man let everyone know that Musk's efforts to help didn't pan out. As far as lifting a finger to help Flint, I'll believe that when I see it. And if he HAD managed to save those stranded kids, if he DOES make good on his promise to Flint, it doesn't change the fact that he's pleased to force his own employees at Tesla to work in dangerous conditions with unfair rules. Google is famous worldwide for its tax avoidance. Corporate activism is just another frontier in marketing. There is NO corporate interest outside of money.
Fair enough! :tiphat:

I'll have to agree with you about how there is no void to fill because the rich corporations already have the power. You're also right about Google. The way they have teamed up with China to censor the internet is gross. Thank you for your views on this.

memalescole75
Posts: 14
Joined: 25 Jun 2018, 15:02
Currently Reading: McDowell
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-memalescole75.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner

Post by memalescole75 » 18 Sep 2018, 17:59

Anything is possible. Fifty years ago you'd be hard pressed to find someone who believed in things like talking to each other through a watch and creating 3D images on a printer, but here we are! I read the book over the summer, and it certainly paints a dim picture of future society. Here's hoping it stays science fiction.

User avatar
Itx Favour
Posts: 1
Joined: 20 Sep 2018, 15:59
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Itx Favour » 20 Sep 2018, 16:11

it might be possible

Post Reply

Return to “Discuss "World, Incorporated" by Tom Gariffo”