Technological advancements

Use this forum to discuss August 2018 book of the month "World, Incorporated" by Tom Gariffo.
ayoomisope
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ayoomisope.html
Latest Review: Absolute Truth by Joab Russo

Re: Technological advancements

Post by ayoomisope »

Bianka Walter wrote: 01 Aug 2018, 12:59
Eryn Bradshaw wrote: 01 Aug 2018, 12:40 I disagree, I think this technology is right around the corner. Just take a look at Sophia the Robot, granted she is scripted and programmed, but the aim is to get to the point where AI to be more self-thinking. But I think it's important for these people who are developing AI to stay morally good. At this point though, it's a race to see who can come up with actual AI.
So, yes. If you compare where we were 40 years ago, ANYTHING is possible. We didn't even have internet then. I mean, how did we function?? I agree with the technology being close... but I wonder how close to actually having working, intelligent prototypes.
I believe we are still many years away from actual, fully-functional, and efficient A.I. The technological barriers are still enormous, but the end result is inevitable--A.I. as a reality.
“Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counselors, and the most patient of teachers.”
― Charles William Eliot
Helen_Combe
Favorite Book: The Martian
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helen-combe.html
Latest Review: And The Trees Began To Move by Lisa Gammon Olson
Reading Device: B00M4L4MFC

Post by Helen_Combe »

JHuschle519 wrote: 01 Aug 2018, 08:56
The other technology in this book that I see as possibly in the near future, although I hope to God it never comes to be, is the personalized advertisements throughout the cities. We already have facial recognition, and databases full of our consumer information, so it wouldn't be that much of a stretch to make this type of technology happen.
We’ve already got that in Birmingham, see the newspaper article.

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/m ... ns-9920400
A thesaurus is necessary, essential, indispensable, vital, crucial and fundamental.
Helen_Combe
Favorite Book: The Martian
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helen-combe.html
Latest Review: And The Trees Began To Move by Lisa Gammon Olson
Reading Device: B00M4L4MFC

Post by Helen_Combe »

Eryn Bradshaw wrote: 01 Aug 2018, 12:40 I disagree, I think this technology is right around the corner. Just take a look at Sophia the Robot, granted she is scripted and programmed, but the aim is to get to the point where AI to be more self-thinking. But I think it's important for these people who are developing AI to stay morally good. At this point though, it's a race to see who can come up with actual AI.
I think real AI would be almost impossible in something that learns from others’ behaviour and has no inbuilt moral compass. The few times I’ve tried to talk to AI computers put experimentally on the internet, I’ve been faced with an aggressive potty mouth because it has now way of knowing when it’s doing a good thing or a bad thing,
A thesaurus is necessary, essential, indispensable, vital, crucial and fundamental.
bluesky5_
Favorite Book: Fifty Shades of Grey
Currently Reading: World, Incorporated
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluesky5.html
Latest Review: Roadmap to the End of Days by Daniel Friedmann
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by bluesky5_ »

There's no stopping the forward motion of advanced technology. When the year 2000 rolled in we all thought the world would come to a screeching halt because most of everything we used was dated to 1999. A lot of us thought the elevators on high rise buildings would cease due this crazy idea that the world was not created to advance into 2000, but we did! I remember when I graduated high school in 1973, I was banging on a typewriter, now you would really have to hunt to find one...it has been replaced by the computer, (thank heavens!). The Veterans Administration has real robots rolling the halls and in the world of prosthetics, scientists/technologists are creating "robot" arms and legs that work so much like a human hand or foot that it has become a real exciting advancement for those people that have suffered a loss of limb. It is a godsend that we have such hard-working scientists/technologists that keep coming up with these great advances of technologies.
jcoad
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jcoad.html
Latest Review: True Blue Friend by Roy DeMauro

Post by jcoad »

I don't think AI is close but all of the data capturing and product "pushing" is going on today. I work for a large retailer and we know almost everything you do while you are in the store.
David Horta Alonso
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-david-horta-alonso.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by David Horta Alonso »

The world is surely changing and with that come technological advancement. New innovations are witnessed everyday. I see a possibility in all the innovations mentioned herein.
Bianka Walter
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: Thir13en by Keegan Nielsen
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Post by Bianka Walter »

bluesky5_ wrote: 15 Aug 2018, 18:14 There's no stopping the forward motion of advanced technology. When the year 2000 rolled in we all thought the world would come to a screeching halt because most of everything we used was dated to 1999. A lot of us thought the elevators on high rise buildings would cease due this crazy idea that the world was not created to advance into 2000, but we did! I remember when I graduated high school in 1973, I was banging on a typewriter, now you would really have to hunt to find one...it has been replaced by the computer, (thank heavens!). The Veterans Administration has real robots rolling the halls and in the world of prosthetics, scientists/technologists are creating "robot" arms and legs that work so much like a human hand or foot that it has become a real exciting advancement for those people that have suffered a loss of limb. It is a godsend that we have such hard-working scientists/technologists that keep coming up with these great advances of technologies.
I actually took typing as a subject in high school. We had a room full of typewriters where we would all sit and recite asdfg. That was in '98. But you're right, it doesn't happen overnight. Small advancements happen every day that propel us forward, and most of them for the better. The work that is being done on prosthetics is just the tip of the iceberg, I think. Let's hope that one day, it will be affordable enough for everyone.
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss
David Horta Alonso
Currently Reading:

I see a world that is run by computers in the next forty years. Every work is being performed by technology.
CheyenneR
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cheyenner.html
Latest Review: World, Incorporated by Tom Gariffo

Post by CheyenneR »

Honestly, I think the body scans are one of the most achievable technological advances we could achieve. I know that a few demographic scans already exist so to see more of those and more advanced versions wouldn't surprise me.
David Horta Alonso
Currently Reading:

Computer advancement and software programs are being witnessed everyday. I'm glad their application in various sectors is quite useful.
Bianka Walter
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: Thir13en by Keegan Nielsen
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Post by Bianka Walter »

CheyenneR wrote: 16 Aug 2018, 16:01 Honestly, I think the body scans are one of the most achievable technological advances we could achieve. I know that a few demographic scans already exist so to see more of those and more advanced versions wouldn't surprise me.
Wow, I would hate that. It feels like such a violation. But, I suppose like you say, basic ones already exist - so it's inevitable.
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss
a9436
Currently Reading: The Redbreast
Bookshelf Size: 88
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-a9436.html
Latest Review: First Family by Alice Langholt

Post by a9436 »

I think we are less than 40 years away from the technology of the book. Realistic dystopias and sci-fi novels tend to be my favourites because I can really see myself in the world the authors' create, which helps me to relate to the characters and situations. However, it also makes me very scared! In World, Incorporated, it was the advertisements that terrified me, even more so than the AI, because I value privacy and already panic when I think about what companies like Google must know about me!
Yungking
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Yungking »

I disagree, I think this technology is right around the corner. Surely, I know that many new exploits are yet to be carried out by scientists. But I doubt the existence of ships transporting by air, may be the form or shape would also be modified.
Sumbule1
Currently Reading: The Five Musketeers
Bookshelf Size: 137
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sumbule1.html
Latest Review: Pancake Money by Finn Bell

Post by Sumbule1 »

The watch that Agent Silver will use to access is all mission data.The novel is so charming, first it stands at expounding the readers Knowledge about the future.The style of overshadowing,makes it appropriate for readers of all stages.It aims at improving the living standards of the world in a span of sme years to come
ea_anthony
Favorite Book: Praying successfully
Currently Reading: Prisoners of Geography
Bookshelf Size: 650
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ea-anthony.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by ea_anthony »

ea_anthony wrote: 12 Aug 2018, 16:35
ea_anthony wrote: 11 Aug 2018, 18:20
Bianka Walter wrote: 11 Aug 2018, 03:24

It is amazing what we have achieved in such a short amount of time. It's quite exciting to see what we develop in the next few years.
The Elon Musks of this world and the thousands of less attention seeking innovators are there to ensure we are surprised. I have read snippets of Alvin Toffler's Third Wave (published in 1980), he had a good idea of how technology would shape the future (our present). Moore's law about chip capacity doubling in size every year or two can also explains the exponential growth in technology growing over the years and into the future.
Let's also not forget that the AI race is on. In 2017 The UAE appointed a Minister of Artificial Intelligence and they plan to build a colony on Mars by 2117. In my home country, the commercial banks have all started launching AI assistants on call 24/7.
I just read an article estimating AI generated business value will be about $1 Trillion this 2018 and about $4 Trillion in 2022 (That means a quadrupling in under 4 years), at this rate nothing will stop AI. Another interesting thing was the prediction by a research firm Gartner that AI will create 2.3 million jobs and eliminate 1.8 million — a net increase of 500,000 jobs — by 2020.
Technology is on the march.
Ignorance promotes divisiveness, knowledge encourages diversity. :techie-studyingbrown:

Return to “Discuss "World, Incorporated" by Tom Gariffo”