"Lair of Dreams" by Libba Bray

Members of the forum read the same book at the same time and discuss it.
Warning: discussions here will contain spoilers.
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Re: "Lair of Dreams" by Libba Bray

Post by gali »

Oh, and about King, it reminded me of his new book, "Sleeping Beauties". I didn't read it yet, but it is on my reading list.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading: Beyond the Wand
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: The Movie Chair by Shari Borkin
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

gali wrote: 28 Nov 2018, 14:11
Great and no problem. it gave me a chance to read some other books that waited for me. :)

I dislike Blind Bill immensely, and I hope he will get punished for his evil deeds.

Evie is irritating as ever! I can't believe she got her own radio program!

I liked Wai-Mae and Ling. I wonder what is store for them.

I also liked that Henry was able to find Louis at least in the dream.

Adelaide is an intriguing character. I wondered what her deal is.

I didn't continued reading, as I wanted us to read at the same time. I will read more this week. :)
Cool! I'm glad it worked out for you. :tiphat:

I also can't believe she got her own radio program! Like she needs her ego to be fed more.

I'll definitely be reading more this week, as well.
Heidi

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
Heidi M Simone

Post by Heidi M Simone »

gali wrote: 28 Nov 2018, 14:13 Oh, and about King, it reminded me of his new book, "Sleeping Beauties". I didn't read it yet, but it is on my reading list.
Oh, I've heard of that one and have been curious as well. Maybe we should put that on our read-a-long list, lol. It could be my first Stephen King novel.
Heidi

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
gali

Post by gali »

hsimone wrote: 28 Nov 2018, 15:33
gali wrote: 28 Nov 2018, 14:13 Oh, and about King, it reminded me of his new book, "Sleeping Beauties". I didn't read it yet, but it is on my reading list.
Oh, I've heard of that one and have been curious as well. Maybe we should put that on our read-a-long list, lol. It could be my first Stephen King novel.
Fine by me. :)
A retired Admin/Mod

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Heidi M Simone

Post by Heidi M Simone »

gali wrote: 28 Nov 2018, 23:08
hsimone wrote: 28 Nov 2018, 15:33
Fine by me. :)
:tiphat:
Heidi

gali

Post by gali »

@hsimone , where are you in the book? I reached pg. 223, "Watching the light".

Chauncey's dream gave me the chills. It was well done.

What do you think of the book so far? I think it is much more slow paced than the first one and not as good. Nothing much happens except those dreams.
A retired Admin/Mod

Heidi M Simone

Post by Heidi M Simone »

I just reached "Watching the light", too.

Oh man, Chauncey's dream was creepy. So, is the woman that killed Chauncey and the other men in charge of the sleeping sickness, I wonder? I also wonder what is the purpose of the dream lady taking so many lives. To build the dream world, but why?

I'm a bit worried about Mabel. I think it's great that Jericho is giving her a chance, but once he learns that Evie's back on the market, I can see him hurting Mabel and trying to be in Evie's good graces once again. Hopefully that doesn't happen and Jericho figures out that Mabel is a great and honest person, and a person who would lie to the world about her relationship status just to become more famous isn't worth his time.

When I was the letters that Will had written, I found my attention slipping...In general, though, I also find this one to be slower paced than the first one and not as good, too, which is too bad. You're right, though, nothing much happens except those dreams, and we still don't know much about them. It's almost as if the author is trying to drag the story out for no real reason, except to make her book longer than necessary.
Heidi

gali

Post by gali »

hsimone wrote: 03 Dec 2018, 12:43 I just reached "Watching the light", too.

Oh man, Chauncey's dream was creepy. So, is the woman that killed Chauncey and the other men in charge of the sleeping sickness, I wonder? I also wonder what is the purpose of the dream lady taking so many lives. To build the dream world, but why?

I'm a bit worried about c I think it's great that Jericho is giving her a chance, but once he learns that Evie's back on the market, I can see him hurting Mabel and trying to be in Evie's good graces once again. Hopefully that doesn't happen and Jericho figures out that Mabel is a great and honest person, and a person who would lie to the world about her relationship status just to become more famous isn't worth his time.

When I was the letters that Will had written, I found my attention slipping...In general, though, I also find this one to be slower paced than the first one and not as good, too, which is too bad. You're right, though, nothing much happens except those dreams, and we still don't know much about them. It's almost as if the author is trying to drag the story out for no real reason, except to make her book longer than necessary.
The dream was creepy and so is the dream lady! I wonder what is her connection to the man with the hat (that appeared in the dreams as well).

A good point about Mabel. The more I read about Evie, the more I dislike her!

My attention has slipped too when I reached the letters. It does seem like the author is trying to drag the story. I hope it will improve soon! I will read some more this week. :)
A retired Admin/Mod

Heidi M Simone

Post by Heidi M Simone »

gali wrote: 03 Dec 2018, 12:51
The dream was creepy and so is the dream lady! I wonder what is her connection to the man with the hat (that appeared in the dreams as well).

A good point about Mabel. The more I read about Evie, the more I dislike her!

My attention has slipped too when I reached the letters. It does seem like the author is trying to drag the story. I hope it will improve soon! I will read some more this week. :)
Good point about the man with the hat. Yes, I'm wondering what's his connection to all of this. :eusa-think:

Me too! Evie is so terrible, she doesn't deserve Jericho!

I hope the book improves soon, too! I'll read more this week, too. :)
Heidi

gali

Post by gali »

@hsimone where are you now in the book?

I reached page 355, "The tipping point".

It improved a bit and there were a few interesting parts.

SPOILERS up to this part:
_
_
_
_
_
_
_

There seems Evie and Sam are falling for each other, which I love. He has a good impact on her. I was surprised to find out his mother was a diviner as well. Most likely, she is dead and the men following him are from the Project Buffalo. It is sad that he has to hide his Judaism to avoid antisemitism.

I am glad Mabel and Jericho went out. Hopefully something good will come out of it.

I like Wai-Mae! I hope she won't end up as a call girl. I don't think a marriage is planned for her. I like the way she was able to change the dreams.

I wonder if Louis is alive and if he and Henry will meet in real life.

When Memphis went into the dream of the woman who suffered from the sleeping sickness I held my breath. It was a close call! I am glad he is able to heal again.

Bill irritated me. I worry about Memphis's brother and hope Bill won't hurt him.
A retired Admin/Mod

gali

Post by gali »

I finished the book. It got better half-way though, so I think I will read the next one as well.

@hsimone, where are you in the book? I will wait for you to finish it before commenting.
A retired Admin/Mod

Heidi M Simone

Post by Heidi M Simone »

gali wrote: 14 Dec 2018, 10:52 I finished the book. It got better half-way though, so I think I will read the next one as well.

hsimone, where are you in the book? I will wait for you to finish it before commenting.
Hi! So, it's funny I don't think I received a message about this tag or the other one :eusa-think:

Anyway, that's awesome that you finished the book, and it's great to hear that it gets better half-way through! Right now, I'm at "Small's Paradise", right after Theta runs away from her fancy date with Memphis because of her burning hands. It was so sad...poor Memphis :(

Hopefully, I can get a good amount of reading done this weekend and will let you know when I finish. Sorry it's taking me longer to read this one versus the first one. There have been a lot changes in my life right now that sometimes I feel like times slips, but I'll keep reading as fast as I can! :techie-studyingbrown:
Heidi

gali

Post by gali »

hsimone wrote: 14 Dec 2018, 23:00
gali wrote: 14 Dec 2018, 10:52 I finished the book. It got better half-way though, so I think I will read the next one as well.

hsimone, where are you in the book? I will wait for you to finish it before commenting.
Hi! So, it's funny I don't think I received a message about this tag or the other one :eusa-think:

Anyway, that's awesome that you finished the book, and it's great to hear that it gets better half-way through! Right now, I'm at "Small's Paradise", right after Theta runs away from her fancy date with Memphis because of her burning hands. It was so sad...poor Memphis :(

Hopefully, I can get a good amount of reading done this weekend and will let you know when I finish. Sorry it's taking me longer to read this one versus the first one. There have been a lot changes in my life right now that sometimes I feel like times slips, but I'll keep reading as fast as I can! :techie-studyingbrown:
No rush. I hope all the changes are positive. :)

If you want to, we can continue to the last book after you finished this one.
A retired Admin/Mod

Heidi M Simone

Post by Heidi M Simone »

gali wrote: 10 Dec 2018, 23:11 @hsimone where are you now in the book?

I reached page 355, "The tipping point".

It improved a bit and there were a few interesting parts.

SPOILERS up to this part:
_
_
_
_
_
_
_

There seems Evie and Sam are falling for each other, which I love. He has a good impact on her. I was surprised to find out his mother was a diviner as well. Most likely, she is dead and the men following him are from the Project Buffalo. It is sad that he has to hide his Judaism to avoid antisemitism.

I am glad Mabel and Jericho went out. Hopefully something good will come out of it.

I like Wai-Mae! I hope she won't end up as a call girl. I don't think a marriage is planned for her. I like the way she was able to change the dreams.

I wonder if Louis is alive and if he and Henry will meet in real life.

When Memphis went into the dream of the woman who suffered from the sleeping sickness I held my breath. It was a close call! I am glad he is able to heal again.

Bill irritated me. I worry about Memphis's brother and hope Bill won't hurt him.
I just got up to this part and decided to comment, as well. :)

I love love love that Evie and Sam are falling for each other. I hope this continues and that the fact that Mabel and Jericho went out won't complicate things. Agreed, I hope something comes out of this date, as well.

Right? I had no idea that Sam's mother was a diviner either, but kind of makes sense since he has a special gift himself and she disappeared without a trace. I agree, I think she's dead and those men are from Project Buffalo. It is sad that he has to hide his Judaism.

You know what I would love? If Wai-Mae and Ling end up together. It looked like Ling started to develop some feelings (more than just "sisters") towards Wai-Mae. I also hope Wai-Mae doesn't end up in a brothel, like the girl she referred to. Also, can't believe George died! Poor George...

That's what I was wondering, too. You would think that he would rush up to New York or the two would make serious plans of meeting up (more than just a train ticket that was sent toward Louis). Also, I'm wondering if he's dead, too, is because of the fact that his dog is present in the dream. Didn't the dog die in real life, but now he's in the dream?

Gosh, that dream that Memphis went into was scary! I'm glad that he was able to pull himself and Mrs. Carrington out. Question is - will Mrs. Carrington be able to sleep again?

Oh Bill...I'm wondering if he will threaten Memphis with Isaiah to get himself healed or whatever is he looking for from Memphis.

Also, I felt sooo bad for Theta and Memphis on their date and I wonder what's happening to Theta's hands. It looks like he was happy that she sent him a telegram, so hopefully it'll all work out!
Heidi

Heidi M Simone

Post by Heidi M Simone »

gali wrote: 15 Dec 2018, 00:01
No rush. I hope all the changes are positive. :)

If you want to, we can continue to the last book after you finished this one.
So far, I'm enjoying the book a bit more, so yep! I think the changes are positive so far!

That would be great to read the next one after I finish this one! Also, I have Small Spaces from the library. Not sure if we wanted to read that one in between this one and the third Diviners book, or just jump to the third book?
Heidi

Return to “Read-a-long forum”