"Lair of Dreams" by Libba Bray

Members of the forum read the same book at the same time and discuss it.
Warning: discussions here will contain spoilers.
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Re: "Lair of Dreams" by Libba Bray

Post by gali »

hsimone wrote: 15 Dec 2018, 19:23
gali wrote: 15 Dec 2018, 00:01
No rush. I hope all the changes are positive. :)

If you want to, we can continue to the last book after you finished this one.
So far, I'm enjoying the book a bit more, so yep! I think the changes are positive so far!

That would be great to read the next one after I finish this one! Also, I have Small Spaces from the library. Not sure if we wanted to read that one in between this one and the third Diviners book, or just jump to the third book?
Great! :)

If Gravy wants to, we can read Small Spaces first. It is shorter.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading: Beyond the Wand
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: The Movie Chair by Shari Borkin
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

gali wrote: 15 Dec 2018, 22:55
hsimone wrote: 15 Dec 2018, 19:23
gali wrote: 15 Dec 2018, 00:01
No rush. I hope all the changes are positive. :)

If you want to, we can continue to the last book after you finished this one.
So far, I'm enjoying the book a bit more, so yep! I think the changes are positive so far!

That would be great to read the next one after I finish this one! Also, I have Small Spaces from the library. Not sure if we wanted to read that one in between this one and the third Diviners book, or just jump to the third book?

If Gravy wants to, we can read Small Spaces first. It is shorter.
Sounds good! :handgestures-thumbup:
Heidi

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
Heidi M Simone

Post by Heidi M Simone »

@gali I finally finished!

It was so sad to see Ling being harassed by those guys at night. I'm glad Henry was there to help her! But, man to find out that Wai-Mae was the cause of all this and she was the woman in the veil! Poor Ling because I felt that Ling started to develop some feelings toward Wai-Mae. Although, I must say I wasn't completely surprised. Remember how I didn't trust Wai-Mae when Ling first met her? Yep, guess Ling and Henry shouldn't have trusted her. I'm glad that they were able to stop her though.

You were right about Louis being dead. Poor guy - dying the way he did - and poor Henry learning the truth. Glad that he didn't get stuck in the dreams, though! Although...although, is the author trying to insinuate that after learning the truth of Henry's "true love" that Henry will be able to bounce back quickly with potentially David?? I hope not!

So, Theta's burning thing? I think is pretty cool, which is why I'm confused as to why she's hiding it? I don't feel it's an embarrassing thing to be able to use a unique power, especially, since she learned Memphis is a diviner, too.

I found it a bit too convenient that Sam's mother is involved and being tortured for information about the diviners. I'm not sure how much I like the addition of the Shadow Man when we don't even know who the man in the stovepipe hat really is.

I wish Evie would stop playing around with boys and either make up her mind or stop leading the two on. Poor Mabel, too! To learn that the man she's been crushing on actually is interested in her best friend must be a bit rough for her. Jericho is obviously still hung up on Evie, and I'm not sure he deserves Mabel.

Overall, I found the plot to be a lot slower and lacking than the first one, especially in the beginning, and there are several plot holes and oddities in the choices the author made that didn't seem to make sense. It was a bit frustrating that some of the first book's storylines (Blind Bill, Isaiah, Addie, Will, etc.) did not really advance at all in this book. Also, I did not care for the random scenes dropped into the story with people we never see again. It just took up more pages and with the exception of one or two, I don't think it added to the plot much. There were definitely some exciting scenes and some characters I really enjoyed. However, I don't feel any of the characters really grew in the story, and it was hard to feel much for a lot of them. I was bouncing between a 2 or 3 stars, but I'm going to with 2 out of 4 stars.
Heidi

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
gali

Post by gali »

hsimone wrote: 27 Dec 2018, 20:50 @gali I finally finished!

It was so sad to see Ling being harassed by those guys at night. I'm glad Henry was there to help her! But, man to find out that Wai-Mae was the cause of all this and she was the woman in the veil! Poor Ling because I felt that Ling started to develop some feelings toward Wai-Mae. Although, I must say I wasn't completely surprised. Remember how I didn't trust Wai-Mae when Ling first met her? Yep, guess Ling and Henry shouldn't have trusted her. I'm glad that they were able to stop her though.

You were right about Louis being dead. Poor guy - dying the way he did - and poor Henry learning the truth. Glad that he didn't get stuck in the dreams, though! Although...although, is the author trying to insinuate that after learning the truth of Henry's "true love" that Henry will be able to bounce back quickly with potentially David?? I hope not!

So, Theta's burning thing? I think is pretty cool, which is why I'm confused as to why she's hiding it? I don't feel it's an embarrassing thing to be able to use a unique power, especially, since she learned Memphis is a diviner, too.

I found it a bit too convenient that Sam's mother is involved and being tortured for information about the diviners. I'm not sure how much I like the addition of the Shadow Man when we don't even know who the man in the stovepipe hat really is.

I wish Evie would stop playing around with boys and either make up her mind or stop leading the two on. Poor Mabel, too! To learn that the man she's been crushing on actually is interested in her best friend must be a bit rough for her. Jericho is obviously still hung up on Evie, and I'm not sure he deserves Mabel.

Overall, I found the plot to be a lot slower and lacking than the first one, especially in the beginning, and there are several plot holes and oddities in the choices the author made that didn't seem to make sense. It was a bit frustrating that some of the first book's storylines (Blind Bill, Isaiah, Addie, Will, etc.) did not really advance at all in this book. Also, I did not care for the random scenes dropped into the story with people we never see again. It just took up more pages and with the exception of one or two, I don't think it added to the plot much. There were definitely some exciting scenes and some characters I really enjoyed. However, I don't feel any of the characters really grew in the story, and it was hard to feel much for a lot of them. I was bouncing between a 2 or 3 stars, but I'm going to with 2 out of 4 stars.

I liked Wai-Mae, it was a shock to find out about her, but at one point I started to suspect both she and Louis were dead. Louis's dog in the dream was a red flag, since he died in the real life. I felt sorry for Wai-Mae, but was glad he was stopped at the end.

I think Theta was right to hide her talent for the people (to avoid being found by the agents who look for diviners), but she shouldn't have hide it from Memphis. I wonder if their relationship will survive due to the prejudice of both their people.

I agree the story about Sam's mother is too convenient.

Maybe the Shadow Man and the man in the stovepipe hat are the same man? :eusa-think:

I also wish Evie would make up her mind. I dislike love triangles!

Well written and I agree with your summery of the book. I also gave it 2 out of 4 stars. It was less good than the first book. The slow start almost had me quit the book. I think I would have quit it if I was reading it on my own. At times I found the pacing to be a bit erratic (some parts dragged on a bit needlessly, especially the beginning, while others felt rushed. The second half of the book was much better. I agree the book had plot hole. It felt a little disjointed.

Hopefully, the third book is better! We can start it after our current read-a long book, if you like. :)
A retired Admin/Mod

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Heidi M Simone

Post by Heidi M Simone »

gali wrote: 27 Dec 2018, 23:01

I liked Wai-Mae, it was a shock to find out about her, but at one point I started to suspect both she and Louis were dead. Louis's dog in the dream was a red flag, since he died in the real life. I felt sorry for Wai-Mae, but was glad he was stopped at the end.

I think Theta was right to hide her talent for the people (to avoid being found by the agents who look for diviners), but she shouldn't have hide it from Memphis. I wonder if their relationship will survive due to the prejudice of both their people.

Maybe the Shadow Man and the man in the stovepipe hat are the same man? :eusa-think:

Well written and I agree with your summery of the book. I also gave it 2 out of 4 stars. It was less good than the first book. The slow start almost had me quit the book. I think I would have quit it if I was reading it on my own. At times I found the pacing to be a bit erratic (some parts dragged on a bit needlessly, especially the beginning, while others felt rushed. The second half of the book was much better. I agree the book had plot hole. It felt a little disjointed.

Hopefully, the third book is better! We can start it after our current read-a long book, if you like. :)
I also felt bad for Wai-Mae because of what she endured when she was alive and how she became stuck in the dream world.

I agree that Theta sharing her power with Memphis would be a good idea. I think he would be understanding and still care about her regardless. I hope their relationship survives! You make a good point - not sharing her ability with others will help conceal herself toward those who are looking for diviners.

Oh Evie :roll:

Hmm :eusa-think: They might be the same person. For some reason the way it was worded toward the end of the book made me think that they were two different people, but maybe they are the same...

Yes, it did feel a bit disjointed. It's good to know that we share similar thoughts.

Starting the third book after Small Spaces sounds good to me. :)
Heidi

gali

Post by gali »

hsimone wrote: 28 Dec 2018, 09:10
gali wrote: 27 Dec 2018, 23:01

I also felt bad for Wai-Mae because of what she endured when she was alive and how she became stuck in the dream world.

I agree that Theta sharing her power with Memphis would be a good idea. I think he would be understanding and still care about her regardless. I hope their relationship survives! You make a good point - not sharing her ability with others will help conceal herself toward those who are looking for diviners.

Oh Evie :roll:

Hmm :eusa-think: They might be the same person. For some reason the way it was worded toward the end of the book made me think that they were two different people, but maybe they are the same...

Yes, it did feel a bit disjointed. It's good to know that we share similar thoughts.

Starting the third book after Small Spaces sounds good to me. :)
Ditto!

Great! :D
A retired Admin/Mod

Return to “Read-a-long forum”