"Sugar Sky" by Seanan McGuire

Members of the forum read the same book at the same time and discuss it.
Warning: discussions here will contain spoilers.
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

"Sugar Sky" by Seanan McGuire

Post by gali »

Read-A-Long of Sugar Sky by Seanan McGuire.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
gali

Post by gali »

Have you started the book? I am about to finish chapter 6.
A retired Admin/Mod

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

Post by Gravy »

I'm just about to start chapter 4.

Spoilers up to chapter 4!

I love Rini, and I love that we learn more about Christopher...
And I love how so many things from the first book are played on. :D

Plus, Cora's a mermaid. How much more could you want? :lol:

What is grief, if not love persevering?

Grief is just love with no place to go.
gali

Post by gali »

I love Rini and Cora. I love that this book teaches us even more about the Worlds.

The world of the nonsense/Confection sounds great.

I love that each book conveys a different message. Book one talked about a/sexuality, the second book about gender roles, and this one deals with weight issues.

Spoilers:
_
_
_
_
_
The world of Confection pays homage to Alice in Wonderland. The queen of cakes reminds me of the queen of hearts, and her house the Gingerbread of Hansel and Gretel.
A retired Admin/Mod

Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading: Beyond the Wand
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: The Movie Chair by Shari Borkin
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Gravy wrote: 29 Oct 2018, 03:16 I'm just about to start chapter 4.

I just got to this point, too!

Rini is such an awesome character, and I love that we learned more about Christopher, too. I felt bad for him - not being able to reunite with his Skeleton Girl yet, not going home, and the fact that his Mexican-American background was the base of bullying/teasing when he was a kid. Although, I do like that he and Cora made a connection. Also, how sad was it that he contemplated in following Jack and Jill back to the Moors even though he it isn't his home? Poor guy.

It's kind of cool that we had a break from Eleanor West's Home for Wayward Children in book two and now we're back in the home with mostly everyone from the first book.

I love, love, love that Cora's a mermaid! I also really like her character and I can see her growing more and becoming more confident as the book continues.
Heidi

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
Heidi M Simone

Post by Heidi M Simone »

gali wrote: 29 Oct 2018, 07:18 I love Rini and Cora. I love that this book teaches us even more about the Worlds.

I love that each book conveys a different message. Book one talked about a/sexuality, the second book about gender roles, and this one deals with weight issues.
Me too! I love that we're learning more about the different Worlds. Also, I love the idea that the world of Nonsense means that Sumi could have a daughter, even though she's dead, but her daughter is a teenager. It made my mind spin, but in a good way!

I agree! I'm really curious and would like to learn about the world of Nonsense/Confection.

That's a great observation and I love that the author is exploring different topics in each book, too!
Heidi

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
Heidi M Simone

Post by Heidi M Simone »

gali wrote: 29 Oct 2018, 07:18
Spoilers:
_
_
_
_
_
The world of Confection pays homage to Alice in Wonderland. The queen of cakes reminds me of the queen of hearts, and her house the Gingerbread of Hansel and Gretel.
Okay, now I've read through chapter 6, as well. For some reason, I didn't think of the Alice in Wonderland connection, but it makes perfect sense. I did think of Hansel and Gretel, though, with all the edible structures and wildlife. I would love to be able to grab a cake pop or something yummy to eat as I go for a walk! For Rini's sake, I hope they are able to piece Sumi back together so Rini can continue existing.

I loved that Cora felt almost whole and confident when she was rescuing Christopher. I hope she can find that again soon.

Also, it was great seeing Nancy again, even just a brief moment. She really seemed at home in that underworld.

One thing I'm loving about this series is how much I end up caring about the characters and their situations, which says a lot about the author's ability to create such meaningful characters.
Heidi

gali

Post by gali »

hsimone wrote: 29 Oct 2018, 16:26
Gravy wrote: 29 Oct 2018, 03:16 I'm just about to start chapter 4.

I just got to this point, too!

Rini is such an awesome character, and I love that we learned more about Christopher, too. I felt bad for him - not being able to reunite with his Skeleton Girl yet, not going home, and the fact that his Mexican-American background was the base of bullying/teasing when he was a kid. Although, I do like that he and Cora made a connection. Also, how sad was it that he contemplated in following Jack and Jill back to the Moors even though he it isn't his home? Poor guy.

It's kind of cool that we had a break from Eleanor West's Home for Wayward Children in book two and now we're back in the home with mostly everyone from the first book.

I love, love, love that Cora's a mermaid! I also really like her character and I can see her growing more and becoming more confident as the book continues.
I agree!

I also like the return to Eleanor West's Home, and that the author introduces old and new characters. I forgot about Christopher, but the author gave enough details to refresh my memory.

Mermaids are cool! I hope the author will tells us more about Cora's world in one of the future books.
A retired Admin/Mod

gali

Post by gali »

hsimone wrote: 29 Oct 2018, 16:30
gali wrote: 29 Oct 2018, 07:18 I love Rini and Cora. I love that this book teaches us even more about the Worlds.

Me too! I love that we're learning more about the different Worlds. Also, I love the idea that the world of Nonsense means that Sumi could have a daughter, even though she's dead, but her daughter is a teenager. It made my mind spin, but in a good way!

I agree! I'm really curious and would like to learn about the world of Nonsense/Confection.

That's a great observation and I love that the author is exploring different topics in each book, too!
Thank you. :)

The idea that a dead person could have a daughter made my mind spin as well, until I thought that in a nonsense world all is possible, even the impossible. :)
A retired Admin/Mod

gali

Post by gali »

hsimone wrote: 29 Oct 2018, 21:53
Spoilers:
_
_
_
_
_
Okay, now I've read through chapter 6, as well. For some reason, I didn't think of the Alice in Wonderland connection, but it makes perfect sense. I did think of Hansel and Gretel, though, with all the edible structures and wildlife. I would love to be able to grab a cake pop or something yummy to eat as I go for a walk! For Rini's sake, I hope they are able to piece Sumi back together so Rini can continue existing.

I loved that Cora felt almost whole and confident when she was rescuing Christopher. I hope she can find that again soon.

Also, it was great seeing Nancy again, even just a brief moment. She really seemed at home in that underworld.

One thing I'm loving about this series is how much I end up caring about the characters and their situations, which says a lot about the author's ability to create such meaningful characters.
The author indeed set the stage very well and in such a short book. This is a novella, but the author still managed to create meaningful characters, tight plot, and great atmosphere.

I hope they will manage to piece Sumi back as well. Most likely they will, as anything is possible in such a world!
A retired Admin/Mod

Gravy

Post by Gravy »

Spoilers:
_
_
_
_
_

I loved seeing Nancy again. I loved meeting the Lord and the Lady (I also love that the Lady is described as being curvy). I love the amount of mythology that she works into her books (all her books, and all mythology), such as Dr. Bleak's reference to Eurydice in the last book.

I love that this series is technically YA, and as you pointed out, a novella, but stores usually shelve them out in fantasy, and the story seems so much larger than a novella. It literally defies categorization. :lol:

Gravy

Post by Gravy »

gali wrote: 29 Oct 2018, 23:52
Spoilers:
_
_
_
_
_

The author indeed set the stage very well and in such a short book. This is a novella, but the author still managed to create meaningful characters, tight plot, and great atmosphere.

I hope they will manage to piece Sumi back as well. Most likely they will, as anything is possible in such a world!

I'm so happy you guys are enjoying them so much! :D

Gravy

Post by Gravy »

I keep meaning to ask, what do you guys think of the illustrations?

gali

Post by gali »

Gravy wrote: 30 Oct 2018, 05:13 I keep meaning to ask, what do you guys think of the illustrations?
I love them! :)
A retired Admin/Mod

Heidi M Simone

Post by Heidi M Simone »

I'm definitely enjoying these books and I'm glad we're reading them!

Meeting the Lady and Lord of the Dead was great and I loved seeing Nancy with them. I had some idea that there was mythology in here, but I'm not too aware of all the myths, so I wasn't 100% sure. Thank you for pointing it out!

It's true, gali, in a Nonsense world, anything is possible! I also bet we'll see Sumi whole again.
gali wrote: 30 Oct 2018, 06:42
Gravy wrote: 30 Oct 2018, 05:13 I keep meaning to ask, what do you guys think of the illustrations?
I love them! :)
I'm loving the illustrations, too! It gives me a good visual of what people look like, but not too much that it erases what I already had in mind.
Heidi

Return to “Read-a-long forum”