"Among the Sticks and Bones" by Seanan McGuire

Members of the forum read the same book at the same time and discuss it.
Warning: discussions here will contain spoilers.
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Re: "Among the Sticks and Bones" by Seanan McGuire

Post by gali »

Great! :)

I liked the way the author displayed the relationship between the two sisters. I felt sorry for Jill at first for her loneliness, but no after she murdered that poor girl.

What did you think about the ending? I thought it was awesome! I dislike Jill and admire Jack. Jack gave up her world to save her sis from the mob, even though the later murdered her lover (Alexis) in cold blood. Jack could just let the mob kill Jill, but chose to save her instead. Not an easy decision, based on Jill's actions. Jack was the better person!

The Doc told Jack she can only get back with Jill's dead body. It sure explains the first book. I also hope we'll get another book with Jack and Jill to close a few loose ends.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

Post by Gravy »

I was happy with the ending. It tied that part of their story up very nicely.
I do have to say that I doubt this would have worked very well as the first book, mainly because Every Heart a Doorway introduced the overall premise, as well as the various characters we see going forward in the series. It would have felt awkward to me to go from this to the school, and may have even given away the mystery.
Personally, I really enjoyed the mystery aspect in the first book and would have hated any possible giveaways.

I want to find out if Dr. Bleak was able to bring Alexis back. (I hope so!)
I think the village, while maybe not very forgiving of Jill, would welcome Jack back, especially if Alexis did make it. My reasoning for this is that Jack saved the village by taking Jill away, thus preventing the Master from, essentially, throwing a tantrum and destroying the village.
I'm not sure what might happen with Jill. Would she even still belong in that world once she realized her Master didn't want her anymore? Would he try to court Jack?

There are so many avenues that could be explored.

Possible Spoiler for Future Unreleased Books!!!
Just as an F.Y.I., I believe a future book is titled Come Tumbling Down, which would seem to confirm another Jack and Jill story.

What is grief, if not love persevering?

Grief is just love with no place to go.
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading: Beyond the Wand
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: The Movie Chair by Shari Borkin
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

I loved everything about this book, including the ending! The relationship between Jack and Jill was great and I felt the author did a wonderful job in making both of them complicated and multi-dimensional. I could feel the way how they both felt about each other and their complex love and sense of loyalty toward one another.

Poor Alexis! Poor Jack! Once Jill was told about being ruthless, I knew she was going to kill someone and had a feeling it was going to be Alexis. It was so sad and completely not right. I agree, Jack was absolutely the better and bigger person! I did think it was very fitting that the Master was not impressed that Jill took one of his people without being a vampire and without permission. How crazy is it, though, that even after he gave the villagers permission to do whatever they'd like to Jill that she still "loves" him and still wants to be "his"?

It's great that the author did wrap up everything nicely and I would love another book that focuses on Jack and Jill returning to the Moors!

In general, I found the whole storyline intriguing and it kept my interest throughout. There was a great balance of getting to know the characters, worldbuilding, and the theme of identity. I can't wait to start the third one!
Heidi

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
gali

Post by gali »

Gravy wrote: 28 Oct 2018, 07:37 I was happy with the ending. It tied that part of their story up very nicely.
I do have to say that I doubt this would have worked very well as the first book, mainly because Every Heart a Doorway introduced the overall premise, as well as the various characters we see going forward in the series. It would have felt awkward to me to go from this to the school, and may have even given away the mystery.
Personally, I really enjoyed the mystery aspect in the first book and would have hated any possible giveaways.

I think the village, while maybe not very forgiving of Jill, would welcome Jack back, especially if Alexis did make it. My reasoning for this is that Jack saved the village by taking Jill away, thus preventing the Master from, essentially, throwing a tantrum and destroying the village.
I'm not sure what might happen with Jill. Would she even still belong in that world once she realized her Master didn't want her anymore? Would he try to court Jack?

Possible Spoiler for Future Unreleased Books!!!
Just as an F.Y.I., I believe a future book is titled Come Tumbling Down, which would seem to confirm another Jack and Jill story.
A good point about the first book. It did introduce the overall premise, so the second book probably would not have worked very well as the first book.

I am glad to hear another book on the twins is on the way. :)
A retired Admin/Mod

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
gali

Post by gali »

hsimone wrote: 28 Oct 2018, 07:50 I loved everything about this book, including the ending! The relationship between Jack and Jill was great and I felt the author did a wonderful job in making both of them complicated and multi-dimensional. I could feel the way how they both felt about each other and their complex love and sense of loyalty toward one another.

Poor Alexis! Poor Jack! Once Jill was told about being ruthless, I knew she was going to kill someone and had a feeling it was going to be Alexis. It was so sad and completely not right. I agree, Jack was absolutely the better and bigger person! I did think it was very fitting that the Master was not impressed that Jill took one of his people without being a vampire and without permission. How crazy is it, though, that even after he gave the villagers permission to do whatever they'd like to Jill that she still "loves" him and still wants to be "his"?

It's great that the author did wrap up everything nicely and I would love another book that focuses on Jack and Jill returning to the Moors!

In general, I found the whole storyline intriguing and it kept my interest throughout. There was a great balance of getting to know the characters, worldbuilding, and the theme of identity. I can't wait to start the third one!
Ditto!

I was sad about Alexis as well, and hope the Doc was able to save her.

I think Jill is a bit unhinged, so she doesn't think clearly.
A retired Admin/Mod

Heidi M Simone

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Gravy wrote: 28 Oct 2018, 07:37 I was happy with the ending. It tied that part of their story up very nicely.

That's a good point about how the first book introduces all the characters.

I also hope that Dr. Bleak brings Alexis back! Although, I am worried that she may not be exactly like she was before...poor Jack. Those are good points - Jack would probably be welcomed back by the villagers. Yeah, I'm not sure about Jill. She disobeyed her Master and, like you said, doesn't want her anymore. I do wonder how long it would take for Jill to really come to terms and understand that she's no longer wanted? By killing all the girls at Wayward School to return back to the Moors, she clearly thinks her Master still wants her. Oh man, what if the Master did try to court Jack in front of Jill? Boy, that would definitely complicate their relationship even more!

There are so many directions the author could take, and I'm excited to see which way she'll go!

(By the way, I did not read your spoiler yet, I'm deciding if I should :lol: )
Heidi

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
Heidi M Simone

Post by Heidi M Simone »

gali wrote: 28 Oct 2018, 07:58
hsimone wrote: 28 Oct 2018, 07:50 I loved everything about this book, including the ending! The relationship between Jack and Jill was great and I felt the author did a wonderful job in making both of them complicated and multi-dimensional. I could feel the way how they both felt about each other and their complex love and sense of loyalty toward one another.

Ditto!

I was sad about Alexis as well, and hope the Doc was able to save her.

I think Jill is a bit unhinged, so she doesn't think clearly.
Yeah, I agree about Jill being unhinged and I'm sure her upbringing didn't help her one bit.
Heidi

Return to “Read-a-long forum”