Every Heart a Doorway by Seanan McGuire

Members of the forum read the same book at the same time and discuss it.
Warning: discussions here will contain spoilers.
Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

Every Heart a Doorway by Seanan McGuire

Post by Gravy »

Read-A-Long of Every Heart a Doorway by Seanan Mcguire
Pronouns: She/Her

What is grief, if not love persevering?

Grief is just love with no place to go.
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading: Beyond the Wand
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: The Movie Chair by Shari Borkin
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

I've actually never heard of this series, but it does sound like a good one!

Is there a specific way that you'd like to discuss the book? By certain number of chapters/pages? Just come here when we'd like to share a thought? Check in every couple of days or so to see where we are at? A combination?

I'm excited to start! :)
Heidi

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
Heidi M Simone

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Also, you've read this book already, right, so I wouldn't be spoiling anything?

I read the Prologue and I'm hooked! The concept of children not returning home due the boarding school they arrive is very intriguing. Also, Eleanor West sounds like a fascinating character.
Heidi

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
Gravy

Post by Gravy »

I missed this earlier! I guess I forgot to subscribe to it. :doh:

I'm fine with however you want to do it. :tiphat:

Heidi M Simone

Post by Heidi M Simone »

No worries. :)

Can we do by chapters? Maybe we touch base every 2-3 chapters? I'm on chapter 3 now. What do you think?
Heidi

Gravy

Post by Gravy »

That sounds good. I haven't quite started it yet, but there's no worry about spoilers so post whatever you want.

I'm going to start it in a little bit!

Heidi M Simone

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Nice! :)

Prologue-(including) Chapter 2:
So, I felt a little confused with some of the names of places used (Nonsense and Logic especially). I almost felt like I was reading the second book and not the first, but then Nancy expresses her confusion, too, and it was sort of explained in the last pages of chapter 2, so I felt better.

I found the conversation of asexuality, having sex (with Kade), masturbating, and transgender interesting and kind of new to me. I've read books with same-sex relationships, but they were more of couples who were stable in their relationships. It's refreshing to have characters speaking so freely about topics that are very real, but sometimes aren't spoken about. I do hope the author explores Kade and his background more.

The other aspect I enjoyed was getting a bit more information about Nancy and where she was before entering the boarding school. Being with the Lord of the Dead? Then, her hair mostly white, and only five black streaks left because of being touched? I love this background and I'm itching to find out more!
Heidi

Gravy

Post by Gravy »

hsimone wrote: 16 Oct 2018, 09:31 Nice! :)

Prologue-(including) Chapter 2:
So, I felt a little confused with some of the names of places used (Nonsense and Logic especially). I almost felt like I was reading the second book and not the first, but then Nancy expresses her confusion, too, and it was sort of explained in the last pages of chapter 2, so I felt better.

I found the conversation of asexuality, having sex (with Kade), masturbating, and transgender interesting and kind of new to me. I've read books with same-sex relationships, but they were more of couples who were stable in their relationships. It's refreshing to have characters speaking so freely about topics that are very real, but sometimes aren't spoken about. I do hope the author explores Kade and his background more.

The other aspect I enjoyed was getting a bit more information about Nancy and where she was before entering the boarding school. Being with the Lord of the Dead? Then, her hair mostly white, and only five black streaks left because of being touched? I love this background and I'm itching to find out more!

I love the idea of the compass; Nonsense and Logic, Wickedness and Virtue, all being further divided by worlds; Fairylands, Mirror Worlds, Underworlds...

I would honestly love for an artist to create a rendering of it. It would make a brilliant tattoo, or just a lovely poster. :D

I love how wonderfully inclusive this whole series is.
Seanan has promised that we will get a book for Kade, but that it's likely to wait until last (for several reasons). This has me torn in half between wanting it now, and not wanting the series to end. :lol:

I have been missing these characters! I didn't even realize how much.

I can't wait to hear your thoughts on the rest of the book! And I'm so looking forward to the the next two. :happy-partydance:

Heidi M Simone

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Yes, as I'm continuing to read, I'm understanding a bit more of their world and the compass. I like the idea of an artist creating a rendering of the compass! I bet it would be epic!

It's great to know that the whole series is inclusive! Kade does seem like a great character. I didn't know the author will give a book focusing on Kade, but I can see this both being good and not so much as the series will end. :?

I'm looking forward in getting to know these characters more and more of their backgrounds with the rest of this book and the next two, as well! :D

So, I finished the next couple of chapters.

Chapters 3 and 4:

Okay, the biggest thing? Sumi is dead?! What? How? Why? Who? I don't even understand who would just cut off the wrists of someone. What purpose does that serve? Honestly, I can't even make a logical guess on who would do that.

Anyway, I found Lundy to be an interesting character. Her aging in reverse makes me question how young will she get. Like until she's baby or does it stop at some point? :lol:

I felt so bad for Nancy. This whole new world and information must be very challenging and harsh to accept, especially with the idea that she might never be able to go back home.

Also, how terrible is it that Jack and Jill's parents just decided which of the twins will be more feminine and which of the two will be more masculine without even getting to know them first? I wonder how Jill feels about this.

I'm getting the sense that the theme of identity is a biggie here, and I'm loving the way it's been represented!
Heidi

Gravy

Post by Gravy »

Oh yes, identity is a major theme in the entire series, and the author is so overjoyed that she's getting to be so inclusive with the characters.

I know! Sumi just about killed me!
Lundy is one of my favorites.

I may have binged myself ahead of you, so I will wait to say anything more. :lol:

Heidi M Simone

Post by Heidi M Simone »

I really like that theme!

Haha :lol: Nice! I'll finish it up soon and come back with my thoughts. :D
Heidi

Gravy

Post by Gravy »

Well, I did it. I finished. These books are my kryptonite. :lol:

Heidi M Simone

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Okie dokes. I finished, too!

This was definitely an interesting, kind of odd novel. I don't think I expected the scenes that described the somewhat bloody moments, the amount of murders, and the different worlds that the characters came from. The plot kept me interested most of the time, but I was confused for certain parts, which made reading hard, at times. For example, for most of the novel, I didn't know if Jill and Jack were vampires or something similar until the end, which frustrated me some. Then, I felt confused with Christopher's and Nancy's back stories. Did they come from the same world or a similar world? Where are their worlds on the compass? Maybe reading the others in the series will help understand this world more.

I really enjoyed Kade, Lundy, and Nancy the most. Though I wished I got to know them more. Can't believe Lundy was murdered, too! I was curious to see how her story was going to play out as she kept getting younger. With Nancy, at the end, was "home" back with the Lord of the Dead or with her parents? Are they in the same place? I hope this is clearer in the next novel, too.

The theme of identity was something I enjoyed exploring with these unique characters. I'll be curious to read more about Jack and Jill in the next book!

Overall, I enjoyed the book and I gave it a 3 out of 4 stars. Can't wait to read the other two!
Heidi

Gravy

Post by Gravy »

Yeah, with the deaths...she doesn't pull her punches. Like, literally. When something happens, she wants you to feel it.
In everything she writes.

As for the bloody parts, this book is about the goriest she's written under her actual name, though even her Toby series has its moments.

I didn't have any of those issues, but I can see how it could happen.
I can't say for certain, but I believe Nancy's world would be Logic and Wicked, as well as an Underworld sub-designation (it really does get quite complicated :lol: ).
I would think Christopher's would count as Nonsense, and so would likely also be Virtue?

I want Christopher's book so very much.

Nancy definitely went back to her world, not to her parents.
Slight Spoiler(Not only did her door open, but it also comes up in the third book.)

Is it just me, or was Loriel's door being there the whole time the saddest part? That just about broke my heart.

Also, have you seen what Beneath the Sugar Sky and/or In an Absent Dream is about? If you don't mind very minor spoilers, you might enjoy knowing what's coming. :mrgreen:

Heidi M Simone

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Yeah, I definitely felt the deaths. That does take great skill from an author to make you feel all those different emotions in one text.

The bloody parts weren't too, too bad. I just didn't expect them.

Just a little confusing :lol:

A book focusing on Christopher would be very interesting. I feel there's a lot more to him. Do you know how much more the author would like to write for this series?

Okay, when Nancy said "home", I figured it was her world, but I also knew that her parents wanted Nancy to visit with them. I am so curious on how Nancy's world is setup.

That was soooo sad! :( She didn't have to die. She could've made it out okay...

I just looked. Beneath the Sugar Sky has an interesting perspective - Sumi's daughter? I wonder if she'll be similar to Sumi, and In an Absent Dream seems like a perspective of a potentially new character? Since it talks about finding a doorway, I wonder if we'll be brought to a world of Logic and/or Nonsense :eusa-think:

It would also be neat if the author did a mini-encyclopedia of sorts going through all these different worlds and where they can be found on the compass.
Heidi

Return to “Read-a-long forum”