Read-A-Long of Norma by Sofi Oksanen

Members of the forum read the same book at the same time and discuss it.
Warning: discussions here will contain spoilers.
Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

Re: Read-A-Long of Norma by Sofi Oksanen

Post by Gravy »

gali wrote: 19 Oct 2018, 23:19 Lol, it does seem that the author wrote the book more to pass a point than to entertain.

I finished chapter 6 and now know the secret of Marion. It doesn't seem that much of an issue to get killed over it, though.
Yeah. I'm enjoying it, but it's not what I expected it to be. I have to wonder if it's at least partially due to the translation.

I haven't been able to read, so I haven't gotten any farther. I hope to get some read sometime soon.
Pronouns: She/Her

What is grief, if not love persevering?

Grief is just love with no place to go.
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

Gravy wrote: 20 Oct 2018, 22:49
gali wrote: 19 Oct 2018, 23:19 Lol, it does seem that the author wrote the book more to pass a point than to entertain.

I finished chapter 6 and now know the secret of Marion. It doesn't seem that much of an issue to get killed over it, though.
Yeah. I'm enjoying it, but it's not what I expected it to be. I have to wonder if it's at least partially due to the translation.

I haven't been able to read, so I haven't gotten any farther. I hope to get some read sometime soon.
The story is rather bland, but I am enjoying it as well. The magical realism aspect is rather weak. The emphasize seems to be on hair and use of women. It seems like the author wrote the story to promote her agenda.
A retired Admin/Mod

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading: Beyond the Wand
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: The Movie Chair by Shari Borkin
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

gali wrote: 20 Oct 2018, 22:54
Gravy wrote: 20 Oct 2018, 22:49

The story is rather bland, but I am enjoying it as well. The magical realism aspect is rather weak. The emphasize seems to be on hair and use of women. It seems like the author wrote the story to promote her agenda.
I just started chapter 6. I agree about the blandness, but like you said, Gravy, it could be because of the translation. Though I do like the magical hair as being part of the story, I agree, the magical realism is fairly weak. I wonder if it'll improve as the story go on?

That's an interesting point about the author having an agenda and writing the story to tell a point rather than to entertainment. I can see that and agree with it, too. For the most part, I'm enjoying the story, but I don't tend to be as excited as I am with other books whenever I pick it up to continue reading.
Heidi

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
Heidi M Simone

Post by Heidi M Simone »

I also just finished chapter 6.

Spoilers: up to chapter 6
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
I think I'm confused. What was the secret? Was it that she was the one to tell Anita about Helena's health that led to drugs made from Norma's hair? That Helena had schizophrenia? If it's either one, I also don't see the big deal that Marion has to be afraid of her father hurting/murdering her.

Yet again here's Anita using Norma's hair without Norma's consent.

Out of curiosity, what do you think of how the story is being told? There's a present storyline, then there's the video files that Anita left for Norma.
Heidi

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

Post by Gravy »

I'm into chapter 8 (I believe), so I won't be posting anything spoilery.

I'm not a fan of the way the story is being told. It seems to almost bounce around, and like we're supposed to know things before it comes to light in the story. I really think, or maybe want it to be, due to a bad translation.

Emmi Itäranta translated her own books and they're done beautifully.

What is grief, if not love persevering?

Grief is just love with no place to go.
gali

Post by gali »

hsimone wrote: 21 Oct 2018, 20:21

I also just finished chapter 6.

Spoilers: up to chapter 6
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
I think I'm confused. What was the secret? Was it that she was the one to tell Anita about Helena's health that led to drugs made from Norma's hair? That Helena had schizophrenia? If it's either one, I also don't see the big deal that Marion has to be afraid of her father hurting/murdering her.

Yet again here's Anita using Norma's hair without Norma's consent.

Out of curiosity, what do you think of how the story is being told? There's a present storyline, then there's the video files that Anita left for Norma.
The secret was that they wanted to open their own hair salon. At least, Marion wanted to. Anita had other plans, but I don't want to spoil it for you.

I like the way the story is being told, but the video files were confusing at times.
A retired Admin/Mod

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
gali

Post by gali »

Gravy wrote: 21 Oct 2018, 21:04 I'm into chapter 8 (I believe), so I won't be posting anything spoilery.

I'm not a fan of the way the story is being told. It seems to almost bounce around, and like we're supposed to know things before it comes to light in the story. I really think, or maybe want it to be, due to a bad translation.

I also found it confusing. It may as well be due to the bad translation.
A retired Admin/Mod

gali

Post by gali »

I'm into chapter 11, so I will wait for you guys to reach it. :)
A retired Admin/Mod

Heidi M Simone

Post by Heidi M Simone »

gali wrote: 21 Oct 2018, 21:37
The secret was that they wanted to open their own hair salon. At least, Marion wanted to. Anita had other plans, but I don't want to spoil it for you.

I like the way the story is being told, but the video files were confusing at times.
Oh, man. See? I missed that completely, but I also had some distractions while I tried to read. Next time, I'll have to seclude myself somewhere, so I won't be distracted.

Yes, I agree, the video files were confusing at times.
Heidi

Heidi M Simone

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Gravy wrote: 21 Oct 2018, 21:04 I'm into chapter 8 (I believe), so I won't be posting anything spoilery.

I'll catch up today!

I find it to be bouncy, too. I'm also hoping it's because of a bad translation and that the original story was told more smoothly.
Heidi

Heidi M Simone

Post by Heidi M Simone »

gali wrote: 21 Oct 2018, 21:39 I'm into chapter 11, so I will wait for you guys to reach it. :)
Sounds good! :handgestures-thumbsup:
Heidi

Heidi M Simone

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Oh!! I just got to this part. It was in Chapter 7 for me. Glad I'm not that thick that I didn't even realize the thing that has been frightening Marion from her father was her using the loan Anita got to open up their own hair salon. It was pretty obvious when I read that part :lol:
Heidi

gali

Post by gali »

hsimone wrote: 22 Oct 2018, 14:32
Oh!! I just got to this part. It was in Chapter 7 for me. Glad I'm not that thick that I didn't even realize the thing that has been frightening Marion from her father was her using the loan Anita got to open up their own hair salon. It was pretty obvious when I read that part :lol:
Good! I hope I didn't spoil it for you.

I finished the book, and write about it tomorrow.
A retired Admin/Mod

Heidi M Simone

Post by Heidi M Simone »

gali wrote: 22 Oct 2018, 14:37

No worries, you're good. :tiphat:

Nice! I'm about 100 pages away from finishing, but I'll keep chugging along and will write my thoughts once I'm done (maybe in another couple of days?).
Heidi

gali

Post by gali »

hsimone wrote: 22 Oct 2018, 18:45
gali wrote: 22 Oct 2018, 14:37

No worries, you're good. :tiphat:

Nice! I'm about 100 pages away from finishing, but I'll keep chugging along and will write my thoughts once I'm done (maybe in another couple of days?).
No rush. :)
A retired Admin/Mod

Return to “Read-a-long forum”