Read-A-Long of Norma by Sofi Oksanen

Members of the forum read the same book at the same time and discuss it.
Warning: discussions here will contain spoilers.
Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

Re: Read-A-Long of Norma by Sofi Oksanen

Post by Gravy »

Just got to chapter 11. I can feel things beginning to tie up!
Pronouns: She/Her

What is grief, if not love persevering?

Grief is just love with no place to go.
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

I finished the book and wasn't too impressed with it. I felt it was half-baked, but it's still worth reading because it pays attention to important moral issues.

The concept is interesting, but it wasn't developed enough. The book felt like a shell of an idea. The magic realism aspect was almost overlooked, which is a pity. There was more emphasis on the use of women by men and the black market than on the proprieties of the hair. The writing style was disjointed and confusing at times, and the ending was too abrupt to my taste. Overall, I enjoyed the book despite its flaws, so I rated it 2 out of 4 stars.

Spoilers:
_
_
_
_
_
_
_
_
_
_
_
_
The scene in which the hair strangled the Doc and his aid was rather odd.

Alvar was a one-dimensional character, and his motives weren't clear. I was surprised he acted as he did.
A retired Admin/Mod

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Gravy

Post by Gravy »

I also finished, and I also give it a 2 out of 4.

I kept hoping that Norma would somehow grow on me (pun not intended :lol: ), but I just couldn't care about her. She regularly offended/disappointed me as a character, and I really need at least one character I can care about. Sadly, this didn't give me that.
I also had issues with the writing. The scenes where things were happening, when Norma wasn't in her head and monologuing her thoughts, were much smoother and easier to follow. The less active scenes often felt like they were out of place to me.

I did enjoy it. I liked some aspects, I liked her hair. I liked that she could smell things about people.
I wish it had lived up to the premise!

Spoilers-------

I really disliked the end, though I wonder if that was the point. Like she was pointing out the fallacy of the whole Happy Ever After ideal.
Like why else, in a book that is pointing out how women are unfairly treated and exploited, would her heroine end up only feeling safe when she's with a man. And that specific man to boot! Like, suuuure...he just orchestrated his own sister's and father's deaths, but I'm positive he's really a great guy. And there's no way he's just going to use her for her hair... :roll:
She probably wound up in the asylum, right next to Helena.

Okay, sorry...the ending just really annoyed me, and if she wasn't trying to get that reaction, she basically failed to live up to anything she was trying to say.

gali

Post by gali »

I agree, I didn't care about Norma either. The book could be much more!

Maybe the writing didn't flow well due to the translation.

The ending was odd and out of context. The author sure misfired!

Also, Alvar who mistreated women all his life suddenly changed his skin?? Not very likely!
A retired Admin/Mod

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading: Beyond the Wand
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: The Movie Chair by Shari Borkin
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Okay, I finally finished, too, and was also disappointed. I gave it a 2 out of 4 stars, as well.

I agree with needing to like at least one character, and I just don't think that happened here. Everyone just seemed so out reach, unrelatable, and one-dimensional.

The plot was iffy for me. I like the hair aspect, but felt so much more could've been done, just like you two have stated. There were times when the plot dragged, was choppy and confusing. Even with scenes that I think were meant to be exciting, I found myself somewhat bored. As you've stated, gali, I'm hoping it was due to the translation, but who knows.

I also found the part where the hair killed the doctor and the nurse odd and kind of misplaced. To be honest, when Norma's hair was supposedly comfortable with Alvar, I was rolling my eyes. Their "relationship" just seemed forced and out-of-place.

The ending was just so disappointing and very abrupt. Like you said Gravy, I'm hoping it was an intentional message from the author because why would she want her heroine to only feel comfortable with basically a murderer, who's a man? (Okay, so he didn't physically murder his dad, stepmom, and sister, but he did orchestrate that they would be in the same place at the same time, and had his guys clean up the mess). Also, I just found the ending odd with Norma, Alvar, and a dog on a lake, like a family? So weird.

Question - what was up with Norma knowing what Eva wants? Is that Norma feeling like she's hearing Eva's voice? Will she end up like Helena, especially since she likes to smoke her hair, like Helena did?

I don't know. If the writing was done better, then perhaps I would actually be curious for the story to continue. However, as it is, I'm not really that invested. :lol:
Heidi

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
gali

Post by gali »

hsimone wrote: 24 Oct 2018, 12:52 Okay, I finally finished, too, and was also disappointed. I gave it a 2 out of 4 stars, as well.

I agree with needing to like at least one character, and I just don't think that happened here. Everyone just seemed so out reach, unrelatable, and one-dimensional.

The plot was iffy for me. I like the hair aspect, but felt so much more could've been done, just like you two have stated. There were times when the plot dragged, was choppy and confusing. Even with scenes that I think were meant to be exciting, I found myself somewhat bored. As you've stated, gali, I'm hoping it was due to the translation, but who knows.

I also found the part where the hair killed the doctor and the nurse odd and kind of misplaced. To be honest, when Norma's hair was supposedly comfortable with Alvar, I was rolling my eyes. Their "relationship" just seemed forced and out-of-place.

The ending was just so disappointing and very abrupt. Like you said Gravy, I'm hoping it was an intentional message from the author because why would she want her heroine to only feel comfortable with basically a murderer, who's a man? (Okay, so he didn't physically murder his dad, stepmom, and sister, but he did orchestrate that they would be in the same place at the same time, and had his guys clean up the mess). Also, I just found the ending odd with Norma, Alvar, and a dog on a lake, like a family? So weird.

Question - what was up with Norma knowing what Eva wants? Is that Norma feeling like she's hearing Eva's voice? Will she end up like Helena, especially since she likes to smoke her hair, like Helena did?

I don't know. If the writing was done better, then perhaps I would actually be curious for the story to continue. However, as it is, I'm not really that invested. :lol:
Ditto!

The part with Norma hearing Eva in her head was indeed unclear and confusing.

Like you, I am not invested on the story and don't care what will happen to Norma. If there is a second book, I won't read it.
A retired Admin/Mod

Heidi M Simone

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Okay, I'm glad that I wasn't the only one who found the Eva in her head confusing. :lol:
Heidi

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
Gravy

Post by Gravy »

Yeah, that whole Eva thing was just weird. :lol:

Heidi M Simone

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Gravy wrote: 24 Oct 2018, 21:00 Yeah, that whole Eva thing was just weird. :lol:
:lol:
Heidi

jevvel
Currently Reading: Dyed Souls
Bookshelf Size: 36

Post by jevvel »

Oh. So sad, why'd she had to be involved with her Boss's business, felt inspired and questioned.

Thanks for the topic! :)

Return to “Read-a-long forum”