Read-A-Long of "Seraphina" by Rachel Hartma

Members of the forum read the same book at the same time and discuss it.
Warning: discussions here will contain spoilers.
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading: Beyond the Wand
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: The Movie Chair by Shari Borkin
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Re: Read-A-Long of "Seraphina" by Rachel Hartma

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Oh nice!

I'm glad that Prince Lucian and Seraphina are back on better terms, even with her using his name to question those knights who said they saw a dragon. Can you imagine if Seraphina has to go up against her grandfather?

I think it's interesting that when guys flirt with Seraphina she finds it funny and laughs along with them. I'm not sure if I would react the same way, but I think she handles it so well. Maybe because one set was older men and the other were nerdy younger guys.

That Quighole scene was interesting. Glad that her uncle went with her because it does seem like a sketchy area. Basind is an intriguing character. Did the author explain how Basind became a newskin? Does that just mean that he recently gained the ability to take on a human form? What makes a dragon do that? I thought it was something they were born with, but maybe not?

So many questions! I have a very odd and uneasy feeling when the treaty day comes. I feel something big is going to happen...
Heidi

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

Isn't Prince Lucian engaged to Princess Glisselda? I hope Seraphina and Lucian end up together, but it doesn't seem possible.

It would be odd indeed if Seraphina has to go up against her grandfather, yet she doesn't really know him.

I like that there are two kinds of dragons and that not all of them can change to humans (the quigutl). The quigutl are cute!

I also liked the Quighole scene. The author didn't explain about Basind. She just said he recently gained the ability to change, so maybe they develop this ability when they reach a certain age.

I also have an uneasy feeling abut the treaty day. I hope there won't be another murder on that day.

Edit: Chapter 15 explains how the change (to human) came about.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Heidi M Simone

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Yep - Prince Lucian is engaged to Princess Glisselda, but I also hope that he and Seraphina end up together. I feel like they are more at the same level of interests and knowledge, where Glisselda is too young. Who knows...maybe they'll call off the engagement for one reason or another. :D

I also like the two types of dragons. I love the quigutl! It's bad that other people don't see how cute they are.

Yeah, maybe that's it - when they reach a certain age they can change. I also wonder if they choose to take on a human form or if they all have to eventually.

Ah...I just read your Chapter 15 note. That's good! Haven't had much chance to read today, but hope to tonight! Where are you now in the book?
Heidi

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
gali

Post by gali »

I just finished chapter 28. There were a few exciting developments. :)
A retired Admin/Mod

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
gali

Post by gali »

Ok, I finished the book and liked it very much.
A retired Admin/Mod

Heidi M Simone

Post by Heidi M Simone »

gali wrote: 25 Apr 2021, 05:10 Ok, I finished the book and liked it very much.
Oh wow, that's great! I'll let you know when I'm finished, too. Glad you liked it! Did you like it enough to read the next one?
Heidi

gali

Post by gali »

hsimone wrote: 25 Apr 2021, 13:48
gali wrote: 25 Apr 2021, 05:10 Ok, I finished the book and liked it very much.
Oh wow, that's great! I'll let you know when I'm finished, too. Glad you liked it! Did you like it enough to read the next one?
Good!

Yes, I did. We can move to the next one after you finished this one. :)
A retired Admin/Mod

Heidi M Simone

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Okay, so I finished and I really liked it, too!

Quick question before giving my full thoughts - are Lucian and Seraphina waiting until Glisselda dies or decides she doesn't want to marry her cousin so that way Lucian and Seraphina can be together? :eusa-think:
Heidi

gali

Post by gali »

hsimone wrote: 04 May 2021, 14:11 Okay, so I finished and I really liked it, too!

Quick question before giving my full thoughts - are Lucian and Seraphina waiting until Glisselda dies or decides she doesn't want to marry her cousin so that way Lucian and Seraphina can be together? :eusa-think:
The book didn't say that as far as I recall. I think they decided to break up as their relationships have no future.
A retired Admin/Mod

Heidi M Simone

Post by Heidi M Simone »

gali wrote: 04 May 2021, 23:08
hsimone wrote: 04 May 2021, 14:11 Okay, so I finished and I really liked it, too!

The book didn't say that as far as I recall. I think they decided to break up as their relationships have no future.
Right, but I was wondering what did this mean:

“ ‘Is it less sad that I’m going to ask you not to kiss me again?’
‘Yes. Because it’s just for now. The day will come.’
‘I want to believe that.’
‘Believe it.’”

What do you think this means - “it’s just for now. The day will come “? I was thinking they were referring to kissing again and being together some day, but I could be wrong. :eusa-think:
Heidi

gali

Post by gali »

hsimone wrote: 05 May 2021, 03:09

‘Believe it.’”

What do you think this means - “it’s just for now. The day will come “? I was thinking they were referring to kissing again and being together some day, but I could be wrong. :eusa-think:
Hmm, they may hope one day they can be together. I certainly hope they will.

Do you want to start the next book?
A retired Admin/Mod

Heidi M Simone

Post by Heidi M Simone »

gali wrote: 05 May 2021, 03:19
hsimone wrote: 05 May 2021, 03:09

‘Believe it.’”

Hmm, they may hope one day they can be together. I certainly hope they will.

Do you want to start the next book?
Maybe, but I do feel bad for Glisselda because she's trusting both of them and Lucian cheated on with kisses/he doesn't seem to really love her. Although, Selda probably doesn't truly love Kiggs anyway. It seems more like an arranged marriage than anything else. I am curious to see if Lucian and Seraphina do end up together!

Would it be all right with you if I finish another book first, then we get into the second one? I am committed to have a review written by next week of this book and it's a bit lengthy.
Heidi

Heidi M Simone

Post by Heidi M Simone »

So, overall - I enjoyed the book very much and it held my interest throughout most of the story telling. I can't believe Fruit Bat/Abdo can't physically speak. I love how diverse each of the part-dragons are. He's come to be one of my favorite characters and I hope we see more of him in the next book. Also, I can't wait to see the rest of the part-dragons!

I've come to like Glisselda more as the book progressed, and it seems like she's going to be fair leader.

Glad that Seraphina's grandfather is gone! He kept causing too many problems and was too reckless.

It was so great to see Seraphina finally being able to accept and share who she truly is with others. Being a part-dragon isn't her fault and she is a kind person, so she deserves to feel loved and happiness no matter what.

I like the storytelling and the cast of characters in the book. Though I will say I felt like I was thrown for a loop when I found out that Seraphina has several step-siblings? Maybe I missed it from before, but I thought that was so out-of-the-blue that I did a double take when I was reading their short appearance.

Hopefully, the second one is just as good (or better)!
Heidi

gali

Post by gali »

I also felt sorry for Glisselda. I also don't think she loves Lucian, but it still isn't fair to her.

Of course. I have another book I want to read anyway, so no problem. We can start it whenever you can. There is no rush. :)
A retired Admin/Mod

gali

Post by gali »

hsimone wrote: 05 May 2021, 13:55 So, overall - I enjoyed the book very much and it held my interest throughout most of the story telling. I can't believe Fruit Bat/Abdo can't physically speak. I love how diverse each of the part-dragons are. He's come to be one of my favorite characters and I hope we see more of him in the next book. Also, I can't wait to see the rest of the part-dragons!

I've come to like Glisselda more as the book progressed, and it seems like she's going to be fair leader.

Glad that Seraphina's grandfather is gone! He kept causing too many problems and was too reckless.

It was so great to see Seraphina finally being able to accept and share who she truly is with others. Being a part-dragon isn't her fault and she is a kind person, so she deserves to feel loved and happiness no matter what.

I like the storytelling and the cast of characters in the book. Though I will say I felt like I was thrown for a loop when I found out that Seraphina has several step-siblings? Maybe I missed it from before, but I thought that was so out-of-the-blue that I did a double take when I was reading their short appearance.

Hopefully, the second one is just as good (or better)!
You summed it perfectly!

I really liked Fruit Bat/Abdo and was as surprised as you to learn about his disability due to his dragon tongue.

I loved the diversity of the part-dragons as well. They were well-drawn.

The author only mentioned the step-siblings once, toward the end of the book. It was indeed too abrupt and not enough details were supplied.

I also hope the second book is good. The reviews on it are mixed.
A retired Admin/Mod

Return to “Read-a-long forum”