Read-A-Long of "Seraphina" by Rachel Hartma

Members of the forum read the same book at the same time and discuss it.
Warning: discussions here will contain spoilers.
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Read-A-Long of "Seraphina" by Rachel Hartma

Post by gali »

Read-A-Long of Seraphina by Rachel Hartma
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading: Beyond the Wand
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: The Movie Chair by Shari Borkin
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Excited to start! Haven't read a dragon-based story in a while.
Heidi

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
gali

Post by gali »

hsimone wrote: 17 Apr 2021, 13:36 Excited to start! Haven't read a dragon-based story in a while.
Have you started it? I am about to start chapter six and like it so far.
A retired Admin/Mod

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Heidi M Simone

Post by Heidi M Simone »

I just finished chapter 2 and I also like it so far. I was a little unsure when I first began, but now I'm understanding it a bit more so I'm liking it more. One of the things that I found confusing was that dragons can take on a human form. I don't know if I realized that right away, so when Seraphina mentions Orma being a dragon, but having hair, I was like "this dragon has hair? What?" Then, of course I learned about how they can change to a human form and all of a sudden having hair made much more sense :lol:

Looks like we'll be learning more about Rufus's death, so I'm curious about Seraphina's role in that. Unfortunately, I saw a minor spoiler so I know something that I don't think I'm supposed to know right now :doh:

Where are you now in the book?
Heidi

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
gali

Post by gali »

I am about to start chapter eight. As I am reading another book simultaneously, I will wait for you to catch up. :)

I agree the beginning was a bit slow and confusing. :)

Although not a new concept, I liked that dragons can take on a human form. Their interaction with humans is interesting. There are a couple of original ideas which I can't wait to discuss with you. :)

Hopefully, that minor spoiler didn't spoil it for you.
A retired Admin/Mod

Heidi M Simone

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Thank you for waiting! :)

Glad I wasn't the only one a bit confused in the beginning. :)

I just finished chapter 4 and I see something new and interesting - a garden of sorts in Seraphina's mind that she needs to tend so she doesn't fall ill. I really like that idea. At first, I wasn't sure. It seemed a bit hokey, but once we were in and Seraphina was describing this place, I began to love the concept. I can see how so many things could go wrong and how that could affect Seraphina's day-to-day life.

The minor spoiler was that Seraphina is part-dragon, but it looks like we learn that pretty early on in the book anyway. Plus, I was thinking that she might be a dragon since her father had told her to keep herself hidden/blend early on. All-in-all not a bad spoiler.

Question - does the book mention how old Princess Glisselda is? At first, I thought she was a teenager, but the way Seraphina was talking to her and the way Glisselda responded, I'm thinking she's younger.

I like Orma, Seraphina's dragon uncle, and I love how music is woven into the story.

What do you think of the book so far?
Heidi

gali

Post by gali »

The garden was a brilliant concept which I liked. I also found it odd at first, but then liked the concept. I wonder who all those people were, what their relationship to her, and why she has those visions. Some of them sound scary... Fruit Bat is an intriguing character.

Also, her memories of her mom were a great way to give us some background.

It is a minor spoiler indeed. I suspected she was a part-dragon due to the need for secrecy. A pity she just has scales and can't change shape...

Yes, it was mentioned that Glisselda is 15 years old. I think Seraphina is 16.

Orma is cool! I like that he came to care about Seraphina.

I like the book so far. I love dragon tales and find the tale intriguing. I loved Seraphina from the start. She is a great heroine! I also like the setting of this medieval world and the writing.
A retired Admin/Mod

Heidi M Simone

Post by Heidi M Simone »

I also wonder who all those people were...some of them do sound story, especially the one that's locked up. Gosh, I hope Fruit Bat doesn't let her out.

Fruit Bat reminds me of a baby who starting to understand that there are more places to explore and more things to do (like my son who's discovered that there is an exit door from his play room and other things to explore aside from toys, so he gets super excited to crawl away, :lol: ). We'll see if that's accurate as the story progresses with Fruit Bat.

I love the memory scene with her mom, and I agree - it's a great way to give us some background.

Must be so hard to constantly tend to her scales and have to always worry what would happen if someone would find out that she is part-dragon. I would imagine the results wouldn't good for her, her father, and potentially Orma.

Okay, thank you for clarifying their ages!

Orma is awesome! I also like that he came to care about Seraphina. I love how she tries to teach him how to greet people and then he calls her out on it when she doesn't greet him. Their relationship is so cute and I can't wait to see more scenes with them.

I like the book so far, too! I'm hoping to read more today. The writing is great and I like the setting too. Seraphina is a great character to follow. Sometimes, YA can be iffy for me if the voice of the teen is too whiny/teeny/immature, but I'm glad that's not the case here and that Seraphina is a mature enough character to follow and enjoy.
Heidi

gali

Post by gali »

The locked woman is scary indeed! I hope Fruit Bat won't let her out or follow her ways. Otherwise, Seraphina will have to lock him too. LOL, the names she gave those people are funny in a way.

I loved the comparison to your son.:) He sounds cute and smart. How old is he now?

Orma is cool indeed and tries to overcome his breeding. I like the interactions between them. At first, he didn't want any contact with his niece, so it is nice he changed his mind after saving her from the mob.

I am glad you enjoy the book as well. I also don't like a whiny voice or love triangle for that matter, and I hope there won't be one here!

What do you think about Prince Lucian? So far, he sounds charming. I also like that the side characters are as well-developed as the main ones.

What chapter are you? Tell me when you reach chapter 8 and I will continue reading it. :)
A retired Admin/Mod

Heidi M Simone

Post by Heidi M Simone »

I also hope that Fruit Bat doesn't follow her ways...that, I would imagine, would be bad. I love some of the names - Miss Fusspots is also a favorite of mine. :lol: Can't believe we meet Miss Fusspots in real life and that she is also part-dragon. It's too bad that she has a tail to deal with...don't think I would like that at all. But, that would probably mean that all those denizens in her vision garden are also part-dragon - I love that! Can't wait for Seraphina (and us) to meet the rest.

Haha, my son is adorable. I love watching him crawl and wiggle his bummy while crawling. He discovered a new area of the house today, so that was super exciting :lol: So cute :romance-heartsfade: He's about 8 1/2 months.

I'm glad Orma changes his mind, too. :)

I really like Prince Lucian so far. He does seem charming, mature, and thinks before he acts. I like how he is in the mindset of treating dragons with respect and to show that he is accepting them as community members. It's interesting that he is supposed to marry Glisselda. I feel like she very immature (she's only 15 so that makes sense) while he is the opposite. I'm curious to see if he has a connection to dragons and that's why he respects them or if it's just a sign that he would make a really good leader.

Having the side characters developed well is great! It helps to keep track of them (especially when some of them have unique names!).

What did you think of the colorful snowflake memories? I thought that was also a novel idea. It was sweet and funny when Seraphina watches a memory in which her parents kiss :lol:

I just finished chapter 8 and am ready to move onto chapter 9. As I continue reading I'm enjoying it more and more!
Heidi

gali

Post by gali »

Some of those names are cool indeed. She met two other characters in real life by this stage. Probably the others are part-dragon too. It would explain the visions she had.

Your son does sound adorable! It is a cute stage.

I agree about Prince Lucian. He is charming and mature.

I dislike Glisselda's tutor. She is too set in her ways, and her hate toward dragons colors her actions.

I liked those colorful snowflake memories. :)

I am about to start chapter 12 and enjoy it as well. :)
A retired Admin/Mod

Heidi M Simone

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Yep, Miss Fusspots and Loud Lad. I really like the real Loud Lad, Lars. He seems reserved and kind, but perhaps have been through a lot. I'm curious to learn more about him and his back story. Can't believe that jerk made Lars fall into the freezing river! So much prejudice in this book. It's so heartbreaking.

Oh man, the conversation that Prince Lucian and Seraphina had did not end up well...hopefully, they can get back to better terms.

Glisselda's tutor is pretty terrible. It's even worse because Glisselda is so impressionable, so to have that hatred be taught to someone who is supposed to be a future leader is not good...

It's interesting that Fruit Bat seems to be so aware of Seraphina in the garden, I wonder who he is in real life and when she'll meet him. :eusa-think:

I just started chapter 12, where Glisselda isn't going to show up to her lesson (presumably because Seraphina offended her cousin/fiancé).
Heidi

gali

Post by gali »

I liked Lars as well. Not so the other guy...

It is also interesting that some characters are aware of Seraphina while others are not.

I will start chapter 12 later today. :)
A retired Admin/Mod

Heidi M Simone

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Awesome! I just finished chapter 14. What chapter are you in now?
Heidi

gali

Post by gali »

hsimone wrote: 23 Apr 2021, 09:00 Awesome! I just finished chapter 14. What chapter are you in now?
I also just finished chapter 14. :)
A retired Admin/Mod

Return to “Read-a-long forum”