Read-A-Long of "Across the Green Grass Fields" BY Seanan McGuire

Members of the forum read the same book at the same time and discuss it.
Warning: discussions here will contain spoilers.
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading: Beyond the Wand
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: The Movie Chair by Shari Borkin
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Re: Read-A-Long of "Across the Green Grass Fields" BY Seanan McGuire

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Gravy wrote: 29 Mar 2021, 21:50 Haven't finished it yet. She's just settling in with the centaurs.

Don't worry about spoiling. I'll probably just force myself to buckle down and finish it soon. :lol:

Slumping is no fun. :roll:
(Thank goodness for Seanan McGuire. I haven't been able to read basically anything else for over a year now...)
Sounds good. Good luck with finishing it and getting over your reading slump!

Seanan McGuire is awesome writer! I love a lot of the books I've read so far from her!
Heidi

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
Heidi M Simone

Post by Heidi M Simone »

gali wrote: 03 Mar 2021, 00:04
hsimone wrote: 02 Mar 2021, 14:50
gali wrote: 02 Mar 2021, 11:56

What a bummer! Hopefully, your turn will arrive soon.
It is a bummer...should've read it faster I guess. :doh: Thank you, I also hope my turn will come soon!

How did you end up liking it?
I liked it very much and rated it 4/4 stars. I liked the Hooflands, the thought-provoking themes, the writing, and the story itself.
**SPOILER ALERT**
@gali So I finished this one and liked it! I loved the beginning and the ending was very interesting. I had a feeling that there was a twisted thing that humans needed to do to fulfill the destiny once they enter the Hooflands. It was very clever and brave of Regan to approach the "queen" and then tell those waiting that they are welcomed to eat that ruler.

One of the major things that bothered me was how naive the centaurs and kelpies were about this "destiny" all humans have to fulfill. It was like everyone knew it had to happen, but none of the centaurs were in a rush let Regan follow her destiny, so years passed and everything was still okay. They were both concerned and not concerned at the same time.

Also, I kind of wanted to know what would become of Regan and the relationship she had with her parents, Laurel, and Heather when she went through her doorway at the end. And what about her being intersex? Will she have the conversation that she should've had with her parents and friends about it before entering the Hooflands?

Overall, I really liked it and I gave it a 3/4 stars.

Do you know if she's making more Wayward Children books?
Heidi

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

hsimone wrote: 01 Apr 2021, 08:55
gali wrote: 03 Mar 2021, 00:04
hsimone wrote: 02 Mar 2021, 14:50

It is a bummer...should've read it faster I guess. :doh: Thank you, I also hope my turn will come soon!

How did you end up liking it?
I liked it very much and rated it 4/4 stars. I liked the Hooflands, the thought-provoking themes, the writing, and the story itself.
**SPOILER ALERT**
@gali So I finished this one and liked it! I loved the beginning and the ending was very interesting. I had a feeling that there was a twisted thing that humans needed to do to fulfill the destiny once they enter the Hooflands. It was very clever and brave of Regan to approach the "queen" and then tell those waiting that they are welcomed to eat that ruler.

One of the major things that bothered me was how naive the centaurs and kelpies were about this "destiny" all humans have to fulfill. It was like everyone knew it had to happen, but none of the centaurs were in a rush let Regan follow her destiny, so years passed and everything was still okay. They were both concerned and not concerned at the same time.

Also, I kind of wanted to know what would become of Regan and the relationship she had with her parents, Laurel, and Heather when she went through her doorway at the end. And what about her being intersex? Will she have the conversation that she should've had with her parents and friends about it before entering the Hooflands?

Overall, I really liked it and I gave it a 3/4 stars.

Do you know if she's making more Wayward Children books?
Great points and I agree with you.

The ending was a bit abrupt, I agree. She should have written what would become of Regan and how they dealt with her being intersex. Despite those flaws, I enjoyed the book and rated it 4/4 stars.

I saw on Goodreads that the next book, Where the Drowned Girls Go, will be out in January 2022 and another book is planned. :)
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Heidi M Simone

Post by Heidi M Simone »

gali wrote: 01 Apr 2021, 09:42
Great points and I agree with you.

The ending was a bit abrupt, I agree. She should have written what would become of Regan and how they dealt with her being intersex. Despite those flaws, I enjoyed the book and rated it 4/4 stars.

I saw on Goodreads that the next book, Where the Drowned Girls Go, will be out in January 2022 and another book is planned. :)
:)

Oh nice! We'll have another one of her books to look forward to then! :D
Heidi

Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

Post by Gravy »

I just finished this (I am sooo tired of slumping!).

Okay, so I love the world, though it is very odd. I am happy with how Regan dealt with her 'destiny' and want to know what happened when she got home. The end kind of hurt. I wanted to know why everything was different; did her parents move? Why was that important, and I do think we'll find out, but I want to know now!

I kind of wish she'd gotten to stay.

I love that the author can include all of this representation in her books. It's so amazing.

I just learned the first bit of info about the next book, and I am excited!

What is grief, if not love persevering?

Grief is just love with no place to go.
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

Gravy wrote: 29 Apr 2021, 20:15 I just finished this (I am sooo tired of slumping!).

Okay, so I love the world, though it is very odd. I am happy with how Regan dealt with her 'destiny' and want to know what happened when she got home. The end kind of hurt. I wanted to know why everything was different; did her parents move? Why was that important, and I do think we'll find out, but I want to know now!

I love that the author can include all of this representation in her books. It's so amazing.

Great!

I loved the book and agree about the abrupt ending.

I also look forward to the next book. :)
A retired Admin/Mod

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Heidi M Simone

Post by Heidi M Simone »

gali wrote: 29 Apr 2021, 23:33
Gravy wrote: 29 Apr 2021, 20:15 I just finished this (I am sooo tired of slumping!).

Great!

I loved the book and agree about the abrupt ending.

I also look forward to the next book. :)
So glad you finished! I totally agree with everything you said. I wish there was more about what happened after she left the Hooflands.

Can't wait to continue the series! I just read a little about the next one too, and I'm also excited :D
Heidi

Return to “Read-a-long forum”