Read-A-Long of "Across the Green Grass Fields" BY Seanan McGuire

Members of the forum read the same book at the same time and discuss it.
Warning: discussions here will contain spoilers.
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Read-A-Long of "Across the Green Grass Fields" BY Seanan McGuire

Post by gali »

Read-A-Long of Across the Green Grass Fields (Wayward Children #6) by Seanan McGuire!

@hsimone, @Gravy, gali
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading: Beyond the Wand
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: The Movie Chair by Shari Borkin
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Wahoo! Can't wait to start! :D
Heidi

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
Heidi M Simone

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Have you started? I’m in the middle of chapter 6 and am loving it!
Heidi

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
gali

Post by gali »

hsimone wrote: 26 Feb 2021, 11:22 Have you started? I’m in the middle of chapter 6 and am loving it!
I just started it. I am in the middle of chapter 2 and enjoy it so far. I will read more tonight. :)
A retired Admin/Mod

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Heidi M Simone

Post by Heidi M Simone »

gali wrote: 26 Feb 2021, 12:48
hsimone wrote: 26 Feb 2021, 11:22 Have you started? I’m in the middle of chapter 6 and am loving it!
I just started it. I am in the middle of chapter 2 and enjoy it so far. I will read more tonight. :)
Awesome! I really like Regan as the protagonist. I actually didn’t realize that this was more of a stand alone novel. Wonder if we’ll see any familiar faces though... :eusa-think:
Heidi

gali

Post by gali »

hsimone wrote: 26 Feb 2021, 19:06
Awesome! I really like Regan as the protagonist. I actually didn’t realize that this was more of a stand alone novel. Wonder if we’ll see any familiar faces though... :eusa-think:
I knew this was standalone from the blurb.

I reached chapter 6. She just passed through a door. I also like Regan as the protagonist and love she met a Centaur and a unicorn when she was crossing. Regan is an original protagonist. She is intersex and has loving parents. In contrast to the other books, she has good relationships with her parents (at least until they told her about her condition). I really dislike Laurel (a cruel and black and white kind of a girl), and I didn't like that Regan didn't stand up to her. Regan chose the wrong friend just to follow society's exceptions and fit in.

I love that the book touches on important themes such as bullying, fitting in, gender issues, and self-acceptance to name a few. There is no one way to be a girl, and I love how the author showed it.
A retired Admin/Mod

gali

Post by gali »

I’m now in the middle of chapter 11 and love it! Where are you in the book?

The Centaurs are really cool!
A retired Admin/Mod

Heidi M Simone

Post by Heidi M Simone »

gali wrote: 27 Feb 2021, 01:38

I reached chapter 6. She just passed through a door. I also like Regan as the protagonist and love she met a Centaur and a unicorn when she was crossing. Regan is an original protagonist. She is intersex and has loving parents. In contrast to the other books, she has good relationships with her parents (at least until they told her about her condition). I really dislike Laurel (a cruel and black and white kind of a girl), and I didn't like that Regan didn't stand up to her. Regan chose the wrong friend just to follow society's exceptions and fit in.

I love that the book touches on important themes such as bullying, fitting in, gender issues, and self-acceptance to name a few. There is no one way to be a girl, and I love how the author showed it.
Sometimes I don't read the blurb if it's a book that I know want to read, so that way I'm surprised all the way through. I find that some blurbs give a bit too much information that I would rather have figured out on my own. Even with this one, once I realized that the characters aren't the same ones from the other novels, I only ended up reading some of the blurb, just in case there was some new information that I would've rather learned while reading. :lol:

So, I knew intersex was something that can happen, but I never knew the word for it. I love learning new things while reading! Though I do feel bad for Regan since it's not something easy to understand and not everyone would be sensitive and kind about that type of information (a.k.a. Laurel). Gosh, she bugs me. I can't for the life of me understand how could Regan every think they were friends and why would she share that she's intersex with someone who believes there is a certain way to be a girl? Well, I guess they're little and it's harder to see when someone doesn't treat you (and/or others) nicely. I also guess that because Regan thought they were actual friends that maybe Laurel would be sympathetic toward Regan's identity.

I wished that Regan's parents would have talked to her about who to share this news with. Maybe it's just me, but it was pretty obvious that Laurel wasn't that great of a friend and they probably should have had the foresight that Regan would want to share the news with someone...I don't know. I'm not saying that Regan shouldn't have the right to express her feelings and thoughts, but she also needed some guidance in understanding that not everyone will be accepting of her being intersex.

I also love all the themes the author is exploring here, too!
Heidi

Heidi M Simone

Post by Heidi M Simone »

gali wrote: 27 Feb 2021, 09:43 I’m now in the middle of chapter 11 and love it! Where are you in the book?

Haha, I was just typing a response as you typed yours.

I'm in the middle of chapter 8 and also am loving it!

The Centaurs are cool and I think the way unicorns are presented is funny. These beautiful creatures and yet not the brightest. :lol:
Heidi

gali

Post by gali »

hsimone wrote: 27 Feb 2021, 10:02

Sometimes I don't read the blurb if it's a book that I know want to read, so that way I'm surprised all the way through. I find that some blurbs give a bit too much information that I would rather have figured out on my own. Even with this one, once I realized that the characters aren't the same ones from the other novels, I only ended up reading some of the blurb, just in case there was some new information that I would've rather learned while reading. :lol:

So, I knew intersex was something that can happen, but I never knew the word for it. I love learning new things while reading! Though I do feel bad for Regan since it's not something easy to understand and not everyone would be sensitive and kind about that type of information (a.k.a. Laurel). Gosh, she bugs me. I can't for the life of me understand how could Regan every think they were friends and why would she share that she's intersex with someone who believes there is a certain way to be a girl? Well, I guess they're little and it's harder to see when someone doesn't treat you (and/or others) nicely. I also guess that because Regan thought they were actual friends that maybe Laurel would be sympathetic toward Regan's identity.

I wished that Regan's parents would have talked to her about who to share this news with. Maybe it's just me, but it was pretty obvious that Laurel wasn't that great of a friend and they probably should have had the foresight that Regan would want to share the news with someone...I don't know. I'm not saying that Regan shouldn't have the right to express her feelings and thoughts, but she also needed some guidance in understanding that not everyone will be accepting of her being intersex.

Lol, I am the opposite. I don't like to enter a book without reading the blurb first. :)

I knew about intersex but also didn't know the word for it. I thought it was due to my English... I agree Regan didn't act that smartly, but she was only 11 years old. I also think her parents would have talked to her some more about her condition and to whom to share this news. I agree Regan needed some guidance, starting with the way she treated Heather. They can't choose her friends for her, but they should have at least try to change her mind and explain to her the meaning of real friendships. They really didn't have in-depth talks with her, more the pity.

Regan's parents should have explained things to her more thoroughly. It seems they were just happy to get it out of the way and didn't consider the effect it would have on her and on her social life.
A retired Admin/Mod

gali

Post by gali »

hsimone wrote: 27 Feb 2021, 10:05
gali wrote: 27 Feb 2021, 09:43 I’m now in the middle of chapter 11 and love it! Where are you in the book?

The Centaurs are cool and I think the way unicorns are presented is funny. These beautiful creatures and yet not the brightest. :lol:
Haha, I agree about the unicorns. :)

Have you noticed that contrary to the other books, Regan does want to return to her world? It is a nice change. Of course, she changed her mind later.
A retired Admin/Mod

gali

Post by gali »

Ok, I finished the book. I will wait for you to finish it. :)
A retired Admin/Mod

Heidi M Simone

Post by Heidi M Simone »

gali wrote: 27 Feb 2021, 10:30
hsimone wrote: 27 Feb 2021, 10:02

Lol, I am the opposite. I don't like to enter a book without reading the blurb first. :)

I knew about intersex but also didn't know the word for it. I thought it was due to my English... I agree Regan didn't act that smartly, but she was only 11 years old. I also think her parents would have talked to her some more about her condition and to whom to share this news. I agree Regan needed some guidance, starting with the way she treated Heather. They can't choose her friends for her, but they should have at least try to change her mind and explain to her the meaning of real friendships. They really didn't have in-depth talks with her, more the pity.

Regan's parents should have explained things to her more thoroughly. It seems they were just happy to get it out of the way and didn't consider the effect it would have on her and on her social life.
:lol: I'll definitely read the blurb if it's new book, but I don't read it all the time.

Those are all good points! I think the definition of friendship needs to be revisited by Regan's parents for sure. I felt so bad for Heather. I'm not a big fan of Regan's parents because of that and how insensitive they seemed to be in sharing this very life-altering information to a child...poor Regan.
Heidi

Heidi M Simone

Post by Heidi M Simone »

gali wrote: 27 Feb 2021, 10:32
hsimone wrote: 27 Feb 2021, 10:05

Haha, I agree about the unicorns. :)

Have you noticed that contrary to the other books, Regan does want to return to her world? It is a nice change. Of course, she changed her mind later.
It is a nice change, but I kind of don't blame her in wanting to stay. No one cares how she looks like or have this strange idea that girls are supposed to look a certain way. They treat her with respect. The centaurs seem to be open and caring toward Regan, and she found a good friend in Chicory (awesome name, by the way!).
Heidi

Heidi M Simone

Post by Heidi M Simone »

gali wrote: 27 Feb 2021, 13:56 Ok, I finished the book. I will wait for you to finish it. :)
Haha, nice! I'm in the middle of chapter 12, so I'm getting close. I'll let you know when I finish. :tiphat:
Heidi

Return to “Read-a-long forum”