October Daye series Read-a-long

Members of the forum read the same book at the same time and discuss it.
Warning: discussions here will contain spoilers.
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Re: October Daye series Read-a-long

Post by gali »

Gravy wrote: 06 Dec 2020, 00:17 Not yet. :gaah: :faint:

I'm almost done, but don't put off reading something else. It could still take me a couple (not sure what's up with my reading).

Also, while I'm here, what do you think of Amandine?! :laughing-rolling:
(I never realized Toby was such an unreliable narrator until recently. Never really gave it much thought. It now has me questioning everything.)
Thank you, I will start a new book. :)

Despite Amandine's many faults, she did care for her daughter. She should have told Tobi the truth at some point, though. Tobi is an unreliable narrator through no fault of hers. I like the way we find new info in each book about them both.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 559
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: GPS para el cielo by Jose Rafael Nunez Patino
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

gali wrote: 17 Sep 2020, 23:22 Book #1: Rosemary and Rue

@Gravy where are you in the book? I have read the first few chapters and enjoy it.

Toby is a vivacious changeling! I liked the prelude 'where she was turned into fish. It was a strong opening. 14 years as a fish is a bit too long though. I wouldn't have thought she would have survived that long as a fish...It is sad her family didn't want any contact with her. It is understandable why she denied the Faerie world. At first, I was confused about how she changed back into a human. The author's explanation was a bit vague on that point (the dawn or some other reason).

I have reached the part after the murder scene. The dying curse sure is a great motivation, though she would have investigated anyway. I like the book so far.
I just started this book and I'm completely into it! I loved the way the author introduced Toby and the subtle way she had Toby turn into a fish. Though 14 years as a fish seems crazy to me...I don't think I've reached the point where the author explains how she turns back into a human, but I'll be on the lookout for that!
Heidi

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
gali

Post by gali »

hsimone wrote: 21 Jan 2021, 14:44

@Gravy where are you in the book? I have read the first few chapters and enjoy it.

Toby is a vivacious changeling! I liked the prelude 'where she was turned into fish. It was a strong opening. 14 years as a fish is a bit too long though. I wouldn't have thought she would have survived that long as a fish...It is sad her family didn't want any contact with her. It is understandable why she denied the Faerie world. At first, I was confused about how she changed back into a human. The author's explanation was a bit vague on that point (the dawn or some other reason).

I have reached the part after the murder scene. The dying curse sure is a great motivation, though she would have investigated anyway. I like the book so far.
I just started this book and I'm completely into it! I loved the way the author introduced Toby and the subtle way she had Toby turn into a fish. Though 14 years as a fish seems crazy to me...I don't think I've reached the point where the author explains how she turns back into a human, but I'll be on the lookout for that!
I am glad you like the book. I loved the first, and the series gets better from book to book. :)

14 years as a fish also seems a bit too much to me. keep us updated as you read more. :)
A retired Admin/Mod

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Heidi M Simone
Currently Reading:

Post by Heidi M Simone »

gali wrote: 21 Jan 2021, 23:56

I am glad you like the book. I loved the first, and the series gets better from book to book. :)

14 years as a fish also seems a bit too much to me. keep us updated as you read more. :)
That's great to hear! I'm plugging away, just on chapter 5 now. Evening is dead and Toby has done some blood magic to see what happened to Evening when she was killed.

I agree that the author didn't really explain how Toby became human again. Not sure if that's explored later on in the book or series, but it seems like Toby is just as confused as we are. :lol:

I think the author, so far, is doing a great job in introducing us to Toby's world and the magic she possesses. Though I don't think I have a full grasp on all the new vocabulary quite yet, I'm beginning to somewhat understand them. :handgestures-thumbup:
Heidi

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
gali

Post by gali »

hsimone wrote: 22 Jan 2021, 10:43

That's great to hear! I'm plugging away, just on chapter 5 now. Evening is dead and Toby has done some blood magic to see what happened to Evening when she was killed.

I agree that the author didn't really explain how Toby became human again. Not sure if that's explored later on in the book or series, but it seems like Toby is just as confused as we are. :lol:

I think the author, so far, is doing a great job in introducing us to Toby's world and the magic she possesses. Though I don't think I have a full grasp on all the new vocabulary quite yet, I'm beginning to somewhat understand them. :handgestures-thumbup:
There is a vague explanation in one of the next books.

I agree the author is doing a great job. We get more info about the world and Tobi the more we read. Each book reveals some new info.
A retired Admin/Mod

Heidi M Simone
Currently Reading:

Post by Heidi M Simone »

gali wrote: 22 Jan 2021, 11:01
hsimone wrote: 22 Jan 2021, 10:43

There is a vague explanation in one of the next books.

I agree the author is doing a great job. We get more info about the world and Tobi the more we read. Each book reveals some new info.
Ah, okay. I'll have to be on the lookout for that explanation.

I'm excited to continue. The story flows well and it's great to know that she continues to world build in her following books.
Heidi

Heidi M Simone
Currently Reading:

Post by Heidi M Simone »

gali wrote: 19 Sep 2020, 00:28 I am in the middle of chapter 9.

I am not sure how I feel about him, but he sure got the characteristics of a cat!
I'm beginning chapter 8, but I agree that Tybalt has the characteristics of a cat! I'm curious to see if/where his character go. Do we see more of him? I also find it interesting that cats and fairies are cool with each other. Toby has two cats, correct? Is that something that's true in other fae stories or just this one?
Heidi

Heidi M Simone
Currently Reading:

Post by Heidi M Simone »

gali wrote: 19 Sep 2020, 02:05 What do you think about the Queen of the Mist's response? It was odd that she refused to listen, and I didn't like her attitude. The Fae in the book so far don't look so good! The author managed to draw their characteristics well, though.

The relationships between Tobi and Devin sure seem loaded. I hope she won't regret her choice to turn to him for help.
The Queen of Mist seems a bit dramatic. Curious to see why she was angry and flat out refused to help or even thank Toby for letting her know that Evening was murdered.

Oh man...Toby and Devin's interaction made me feel super uncomfortable. I wish she didn't go back to him for help since I wouldn't call what they had before (whatever it was) healthy by any means.
Heidi

gali

Post by gali »

hsimone wrote: 23 Jan 2021, 14:51

I am not sure how I feel about him, but he sure got the characteristics of a cat!
I'm beginning chapter 8, but I agree that Tybalt has the characteristics of a cat! I'm curious to see if/where his character go. Do we see more of him? I also find it interesting that cats and fairies are cool with each other. Toby has two cats, correct? Is that something that's true in other fae stories or just this one?
I am glad you enjoy the book.

I like Tybalt! :)

Yes, she has two cats. I think it is unique to this book.
A retired Admin/Mod

gali

Post by gali »

hsimone wrote: 23 Jan 2021, 14:55
gali wrote: 19 Sep 2020, 02:05 What do you think about the Queen of the Mist's response? It was odd that she refused to listen, and I didn't like her attitude. The Fae in the book so far don't look so good! The author managed to draw their characteristics well, though.

The relationships between Tobi and Devin sure seem loaded. I hope she won't regret her choice to turn to him for help.
The Queen of Mist seems a bit dramatic. Curious to see why she was angry and flat out refused to help or even thank Toby for letting her know that Evening was murdered.

Oh man...Toby and Devin's interaction made me feel super uncomfortable. I wish she didn't go back to him for help since I wouldn't call what they had before (whatever it was) healthy by any means.
I disliked The Queen of Mist!

I agree about Devin! I don't know what she sees in him. :roll:
A retired Admin/Mod

Heidi M Simone
Currently Reading:

Post by Heidi M Simone »

gali wrote: 23 Jan 2021, 23:48
hsimone wrote: 23 Jan 2021, 14:51

I am glad you enjoy the book.

I like Tybalt! :)

Yes, she has two cats. I think it is unique to this book.
Oh nice! Can't wait to read more about him then!

I like that the author adds her own little twist to fairy mythology.
Heidi

Heidi M Simone
Currently Reading:

Post by Heidi M Simone »

gali wrote: 23 Jan 2021, 23:49
hsimone wrote: 23 Jan 2021, 14:55

I disliked The Queen of Mist!

I agree about Devin! I don't know what she sees in him. :roll:
Me neither :roll:
Heidi

Heidi M Simone
Currently Reading:

Post by Heidi M Simone »

gali wrote: 19 Sep 2020, 23:27
Gravy wrote: 19 Sep 2020, 22:06 I am not a fan of the Queen.
She is not stable.

Loaded is a very good word for them.

What did you think of the rose goblin? It's so cute!

I've read a bit more, but I can't remember what chapter I'm on. :lol:
(Eleven, I think.)
I agree they are cute!

I am on chapter 18 and enjoying it. The blood curse, the hope chest, and the murder attempts make it an interesting read! Toby sure has her hands full!

Tybalt starts to grow on me. I wish there were more scenes with him.
I’m on Chapter 18 now. I also wish there were more scenes with Tybalt!

Oh my gosh, I can’t believe that Toby slept with Devin! So disappointing...especially since the fact he just leaves her while she sleeps - what? He may be a reliable person to help solve the mystery of who murdered Evening, but he is not a reliable person to have any real relations with. Gosh, Toby!

Also, did we know that Toby is a mother? I was really confused when the doppelgänger who looked like her daughter showed up, but I could’ve easily missed that part. :eusa-think:
Heidi

gali

Post by gali »

hsimone wrote: 28 Jan 2021, 20:01
gali wrote: 19 Sep 2020, 23:27
Gravy wrote: 19 Sep 2020, 22:06 I am not a fan of the Queen.
She is not stable.

Loaded is a very good word for them.

What did you think of the rose goblin? It's so cute!

I've read a bit more, but I can't remember what chapter I'm on. :lol:
(Eleven, I think.)
I agree they are cute!

I am on chapter 18 and enjoying it. The blood curse, the hope chest, and the murder attempts make it an interesting read! Toby sure has her hands full!

Tybalt starts to grow on me. I wish there were more scenes with him.
I’m on Chapter 18 now. I also wish there were more scenes with Tybalt!

Oh my gosh, I can’t believe that Toby slept with Devin! So disappointing...especially since the fact he just leaves her while she sleeps - what? He may be a reliable person to help solve the mystery of who murdered Evening, but he is not a reliable person to have any real relations with. Gosh, Toby!

Also, did we know that Toby is a mother? I was really confused when the doppelgänger who looked like her daughter showed up, but I could’ve easily missed that part. :eusa-think:
I was disappointed as well about her sleeping with Devin. She doesn't make the smartest choices sometimes.:roll:

Yes, we did. In the first or second chapter, we were told that she was married and has a daughter. After Tobi came back, the daughter didn't want any contact with her.
A retired Admin/Mod

Heidi M Simone
Currently Reading:

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Ah, I guess I just forgot about Toby having a daughter.

So, I finished the first book and I knew it! I knew Devin was bad news. I knew something was fishy when he said Sylvester knew about Toby's near death and then it turned out that no one what happened to her.
Heidi

Return to “Read-a-long forum”