October Daye series Read-a-long

Members of the forum read the same book at the same time and discuss it.
Warning: discussions here will contain spoilers.
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading: Beyond the Wand
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: The Movie Chair by Shari Borkin
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Re: October Daye series Read-a-long

Post by Heidi M Simone »

So I just finished and I really enjoyed it!

Love love love Toby and Tybalt!!! I like how honest and mature they are about how they feel about each other. It’s so refreshing and fills me with such joy! 😊 Now, let’s hope they stay that way and their relationship doesn’t become one of those where they constantly break up and get back together.

How perfect that Chelsea gets both parents and perhaps there is still love between the two?

I overall really liked it. I could use less of those moments of joking and laughing under dangerous situations, but everything else was great!

I’m curious to see what’s going to happen with Riordan in Annwn and if we’ll see her again!
Heidi

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

hsimone wrote: 09 Jul 2021, 13:23 So I just finished and I really enjoyed it!

Love love love Toby and Tybalt!!! I like how honest and mature they are about how they feel about each other. It’s so refreshing and fills me with such joy! 😊 Now, let’s hope they stay that way and their relationship doesn’t become one of those where they constantly break up and get back together.

How perfect that Chelsea gets both parents and perhaps there is still love between the two?

I overall really liked it. I could use less of those moments of joking and laughing under dangerous situations, but everything else was great!

I’m curious to see what’s going to happen with Riordan in Annwn and if we’ll see her again!
I also loved that Toby and Tybalt are finally a couple! I have been waiting for it since the beginning of the series! They are a great team. I also love that in each book we are introduced to a different aspect of the Faerie world. I wonder how Tybalt will deal with his political troubles.

I loved the book and rated it 4/4 stars. I hope the next book will not deal with missing kids again, though. It can be tiring.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Heidi M Simone
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading: Beyond the Wand
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: The Movie Chair by Shari Borkin
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

gali wrote: 10 Jul 2021, 00:49

I also loved that Toby and Tybalt are finally a couple! I have been waiting for it since the beginning of the series! They are a great team. I also love that in each book we are introduced to a different aspect of the Faerie world. I wonder how Tybalt will deal with his political troubles.

I loved the book and rated it 4/4 stars. I hope the next book will not deal with missing kids again, though. It can be tiring.
They are a great team! Love them together! I also think the author does a great job in introducing a different of the Faerie world well. It’ll definitely be interesting to see how Tybalt deals with his political troubles. He was so gracious and understanding toward Raj that I hope he can be king for a while. I also hope when Raj transitions to being a king that the rules change and Tybalt can still live while Raj rules.

I was debating whether I would give it a 3 or 4 stars. Even though I like how Chelsea chose differently than Toby’s daughter, I also find the theme of missing children tiring. By the way, remember that cute giant creature that was on top of Toby’s car and was let out by accident by Chelsea’s powers? Whatever happened to him? Was he ever returned back home or is he still with Sylvester?

By the way, Middlegame finally came for me, so we can start this one and take a break from Toby’s world if you’d like. :)
Heidi

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
gali

Post by gali »

hsimone wrote: 10 Jul 2021, 06:04
gali wrote: 10 Jul 2021, 00:49

They are a great team! Love them together! I also think the author does a great job in introducing a different of the Faerie world well. It’ll definitely be interesting to see how Tybalt deals with his political troubles. He was so gracious and understanding toward Raj that I hope he can be king for a while. I also hope when Raj transitions to being a king that the rules change and Tybalt can still live while Raj rules.

I was debating whether I would give it a 3 or 4 stars. Even though I like how Chelsea chose differently than Toby’s daughter, I also find the theme of missing children tiring. By the way, remember that cute giant creature that was on top of Toby’s car and was let out by accident by Chelsea’s powers? Whatever happened to him? Was he ever returned back home or is he still with Sylvester?

By the way, Middlegame finally came for me, so we can start this one and take a break from Toby’s world if you’d like. :)
Good points! The author never said what happened to that creature.

Great! We can start it today if you like. I opened a thread for the book. :)
A retired Admin/Mod

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
gali

Post by gali »

@Gravy we finished book 6, and I plan to read book 7, Chimes at Midnight after finishing my current two books. Do you want to read it as well? It will take me a couple of weeks to finish my books, so there is no rush.
A retired Admin/Mod

Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

Post by Gravy »

I'm still on book 5 (One Salt Sea), but I can follow along.

I keep meaning to catch up, but I've been trying to feed my brain whatever it demands. I'm still slumping, but less than before (yay!). I've even been able to read more than one book at a time again, which has been beyond me for some time. :D

Anyway, I can participate without being caught up, and just catch up when my brain gives me a break. :tiphat:

What is grief, if not love persevering?

Grief is just love with no place to go.
gali

Post by gali »

Gravy wrote: 09 Dec 2021, 22:55 I'm still on book 5 (One Salt Sea), but I can follow along.

I keep meaning to catch up, but I've been trying to feed my brain whatever it demands. I'm still slumping, but less than before (yay!). I've even been able to read more than one book at a time again, which has been beyond me for some time. :D

Anyway, I can participate without being caught up, and just catch up when my brain gives me a break. :tiphat:
Great! I will let you know when I start the book. :)
A retired Admin/Mod

Gravy

Post by Gravy »

I'm reading on this again (yay!).

Still have a while to go, but I'm working on it.
Also, I'm planning on opening a year-long reading record, for the new year, to help me keep on track with my goal to read at least one chapter a day. (My hopes are that one will lead to more, as I can read once I actually pick up the book.)

Anyway, still on One Salt Sea. Have to get through that and Ashes of Honor to be caught up?

I don't think you two read past that, did you?

gali

Post by gali »

Gravy wrote: 28 Dec 2021, 04:14 I'm reading on this again (yay!).

Still have a while to go, but I'm working on it.
Also, I'm planning on opening a year-long reading record, for the new year, to help me keep on track with my goal to read at least one chapter a day. (My hopes are that one will lead to more, as I can read once I actually pick up the book.)

Anyway, still on One Salt Sea. Have to get through that and Ashes of Honor to be caught up?

I don't think you two read past that, did you?
Great! :)

Yes, you just have to go through those two books to be caught up. I didn't start book # 7 yet.
A retired Admin/Mod

Gravy

Post by Gravy »

I got quite a bit read. I've ridden Dianda down the hill (one of my favorite parts of the whole series) and returned to the land, and I've gone home and talked with Walther.

gali

Post by gali »

Gravy wrote: 01 Jan 2022, 00:17 I got quite a bit read. I've ridden Dianda down the hill (one of my favorite parts of the whole series) and returned to the land, and I've gone home and talked with Walther.
Nice! I will wait for you to catch up. :)
A retired Admin/Mod

Gravy

Post by Gravy »

Okay, I've visited the queen (yuck), and talked to Dugan (also yuck), and just got done talking to the Nighthaunts (I love them so much!).

gali

Post by gali »

Gravy wrote: 02 Jan 2022, 22:21 Okay, I've visited the queen (yuck), and talked to Dugan (also yuck), and just got done talking to the Nighthaunts (I love them so much!).

The Nighthaunts are great!!!!!
A retired Admin/Mod

Gravy

Post by Gravy »

Nearly done. I'm in the car with everyone. I know what's coming and I'm not looking forward to it. :(

Gravy

Post by Gravy »

Finished!

On to Ashes of Honor.

There are some things in this book (namely, Mary, the Roane) that I am marking to come back to.

Did you read the Luigaed story, "In Sea-Salt Tears"?

Return to “Read-a-long forum”