October Daye series Read-a-long

Members of the forum read the same book at the same time and discuss it.
Warning: discussions here will contain spoilers.
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading: Beyond the Wand
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: The Movie Chair by Shari Borkin
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Re: October Daye series Read-a-long

Post by Heidi M Simone »

gali wrote: 16 Jun 2021, 14:03
hsimone wrote: 16 Jun 2021, 13:43 Oh my goodness!! I just finished the book and the ending was so unexpected in so many ways!
  • Connor dying? What?! I wanted Toby to be with Tybalt, but not at the expanse of Connor's life! Especially when he was trying to save Gillian...poor Connor, poor Toby. What an amazing person. Now, I feel horrible in not wanting them to be together (thank you Seanan McGuire for making me care about these characters even more! :) )
  • Gillian having the choice to be part of the fae world or be human? Didn't see that one coming. Guess I should've known that eventually she would have the choice, but I didn't even see her kidnapping happening. I feel bad that she chose human for Toby's sake, but that part wasn't surprising
  • So happy that Dean gets to have Toby's land and be the bridge between the land and sea fae worlds! I bet he's going to great!
  • Luideag was a mother? And her vengeance for her children is coming within a year? Man, I can't wait to learn more about this plot point!
  • Now, the biggest of them all - May is Dare's night haunt?? Oh my goodness. How beautiful is that? I love that so much! I can't wait to see if we get to see their conversation when Toby tells May that she knows the truth and I wonder if we'll see a shift in their relationship.
Gosh, whatever repetitiveness I felt toward the first part of the book doesn't even matter! The author always seem to throw us in such awesome loops and reveal such great and new information that makes me super excited for the next one in the series!

By the way, I loved the inclusion of Muir Woods! My husband and I went their when we visited San Francisco a few years back and I loved exploring it! We have a magnet from there, and my little one loves to look and play with it! :D
I am glad you liked it and well put! I like the way you sum up things. :)

Poor Connor indeed! I didn't expect it. The author found an easy way to get rid of Connor... :eusa-think:

Poor Toby, too! Not only she lost Connor, she won't see her daughter as well.

I really like Luideag and May, and I can't wait to learn more about them as well.

The author sure is creative and talented!

You visited Muir Woods?? Cool!
Thank you :)

It was such a good story!

Muir Woods was a cool place to visit! :D

Do you have a preference of which book we read next? The next Seraphina or the next October Daye?
Heidi

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

Either one is fine with me. :)
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Heidi M Simone

Post by Heidi M Simone »

gali wrote: 20 Jun 2021, 05:12 Either one is fine with me. :)
Hmm...to be honest, I'm a little reluctant in reading the second book to Seraphina. It looks quite lengthy and, like you said, it has mixed reviews. I may hold off on that one in general.

Would you like to read the short story, In Salt Tears (October Daye, 5.1) before moving onto Ashes of Honor?
Heidi

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
gali

Post by gali »

hsimone wrote: 21 Jun 2021, 09:31
Hmm...to be honest, I'm a little reluctant in reading the second book to Seraphina. It looks quite lengthy and, like you said, it has mixed reviews. I may hold off on that one in general.

Would you like to read the short story, In Salt Tears (October Daye, 5.1) before moving onto Ashes of Honor?

I completely get it and feel the same.

Sure. Is it free? Do you have a link?

Have you read Middlegame? It is by the same author, and I plan to read it at some stage.
A retired Admin/Mod

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Heidi M Simone

Post by Heidi M Simone »

gali wrote: 21 Jun 2021, 09:42

Have you read Middlegame? It is by the same author, and I plan to read it at some stage.
Glad we're on the same page with that one!

Yep, it's free. You can get a digital copy here: http://seananmcguire.com/tobyshorts.php

I have not read Middlegame, but it does sound like an interesting read and it's by Seanan McGuire, so it's probably good. Let me know when you're thinking of reading it and maybe we can read it together. :)
Heidi

gali

Post by gali »

hsimone wrote: 23 Jun 2021, 13:53
gali wrote: 21 Jun 2021, 09:42

Glad we're on the same page with that one!

Yep, it's free. You can get a digital copy here: http://seananmcguire.com/tobyshorts.php

I have not read Middlegame, but it does sound like an interesting read and it's by Seanan McGuire, so it's probably good. Let me know when you're thinking of reading it and maybe we can read it together. :)
Thank you. :)

I am ready to read Middlegame any time you want. Maybe we should read it next? I think @Gravy wanted to read it to. :)
A retired Admin/Mod

Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

Post by Gravy »

Don't wait on my account. I'm basically down for the count where reading is concerned.

I'm still working on it, but I'm not going to force myself to read. Maybe that will help with the slump. :lol:

What is grief, if not love persevering?

Grief is just love with no place to go.
gali

Post by gali »

Gravy wrote: 24 Jun 2021, 23:26 Don't wait on my account. I'm basically down for the count where reading is concerned.

I'm still working on it, but I'm not going to force myself to read. Maybe that will help with the slump. :lol:
It is the right step (not forcing yourself). Perhaps a reread of a favorite book will help with your slump. :eusa-think:
A retired Admin/Mod

gali

Post by gali »

@hsimone I have read the story and loved it. It explains so much about the Selkie and their skin, and it sheds a new light about the sea-witch.
A retired Admin/Mod

Heidi M Simone

Post by Heidi M Simone »

gali wrote: 25 Jun 2021, 01:58 @hsimone I have read the story and loved it. It explains so much about the Selkie and their skin, and it sheds a new light about the sea-witch.
I just read it too and I absolutely loved it! I think I liked it better than Tybalt’s story :shock:

I felt so bad for Luideag (Annie) when Liz took her mom’s skin. Their relationship seemed so sweet and loving, and they just seemed to work so well together. You’re right, this short story sheds a new light about the sea-witch and I’m so happy that the author wrote it and that we read it! :D

I placed a hold on Middlegame, but it’s going be about 2 weeks before I get it. I’ll let you know when I do!

Did you want to wait until I get the book before we start our next read-a-long or did you want to read the 6th book of the October Daye series as we wait for Middlegame to come for me?
Heidi

gali

Post by gali »

hsimone wrote: 25 Jun 2021, 19:24
gali wrote: 25 Jun 2021, 01:58 @hsimone I have read the story and loved it. It explains so much about the Selkie and their skin, and it sheds a new light about the sea-witch.
I just read it too and I absolutely loved it! I think I liked it better than Tybalt’s story :shock:

I felt so bad for Luideag (Annie) when Liz took her mom’s skin. Their relationship seemed so sweet and loving, and they just seemed to work so well together. You’re right, this short story sheds a new light about the sea-witch and I’m so happy that the author wrote it and that we read it! :D

I placed a hold on Middlegame, but it’s going be about 2 weeks before I get it. I’ll let you know when I do!

Did you want to wait until I get the book before we start our next read-a-long or did you want to read the 6th book of the October Daye series as we wait for Middlegame to come for me?
I agree! I also thought it was much better than Tybalt’s story.

Great! I have heard good things about Middlegame,

We can start the 6th book now if you like. :)
A retired Admin/Mod

Heidi M Simone

Post by Heidi M Simone »

gali wrote: 25 Jun 2021, 22:52

Sounds great! I just got Ashes of Honor and can start later today :D
Heidi

gali

Post by gali »

hsimone wrote: 27 Jun 2021, 09:26

Cool! I will start it later as well. :)
A retired Admin/Mod

Heidi M Simone

Post by Heidi M Simone »

gali wrote: 27 Jun 2021, 09:27

Awesome! 8)
Heidi

gali

Post by gali »

hsimone wrote: 27 Jun 2021, 09:32
gali wrote: 27 Jun 2021, 09:27

Awesome! 8)
Btw, Seanan McGuire has another book "Indexing" which I heard is good. :)
A retired Admin/Mod

Return to “Read-a-long forum”