October Daye series Read-a-long

Members of the forum read the same book at the same time and discuss it.
Warning: discussions here will contain spoilers.
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading: Beyond the Wand
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: The Movie Chair by Shari Borkin
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Re: October Daye series Read-a-long

Post by Heidi M Simone »

gali wrote: 01 Jun 2021, 10:40 @Gravy, @hsimone, where are you in the book?

I am about to start chapter five. Toby is still with Connor!! How can she prefer him over Tybalt??
I just started chapter 6.

I know! I can't believe that she's with Connor (again). It must be because they didn't end it on their own accord, but still. I totally prefer Tybalt over Connor any day. Connor seems nice, but there's something about Tybalt that seems so special.

Interesting that there's another ball/party that Toby needs to get ready for, like in the last book :eusa-think:

I'm really enjoying it so far, but no Tybalt yet! Hope we get to see him soon!
Heidi

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

I also started chapter 6. :)

Indeed! I don't think Connor's family will allow him to stay with her. They didn't approve the first time and probably won't approve this time. Most likely, they will do something to separate them or something will happen to make her come to her senses...

I hope Tybalt will make an appearance soon!

The party seems to be a re-occurring theme with this author. Also, trouble seems to follow Toby. Never a dull moment with her.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Heidi M Simone

Post by Heidi M Simone »

That's a good point - Connor's family not allowing them to be together. I don't wish ill upon good relationships, but I would definitely prefer Tybalt over Connor any day.

I'm in the middle of chapter 10 and Tybalt is back!! So strange that he stayed away for a month. Poor Toby. They seem to care about each other and are definitely attractive to each other. I can't wait to see if/when they end up together!

I will say that I find it pretty funny that Tybalt doesn't like to be in moving vehicles? It's cute he prefers to be in his cat form when Toby is driving, and I love that they are in that comfort level in their friendship - where Tybalt can be in either form and Toby is completely fine and understanding of it.

I'm glad (but not surprised) that Tybalt will help Toby defend her knowe if war does end up happening. Gosh, I love him!

Trouble does always seem to follow Toby. I really enjoy her confidence in the work that she does. I'm super jazzed to see what the Luideag has cooked up for Toby when she goes underwater!
Heidi

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

Post by Gravy »

I'm not that far yet but I plan on reading more soon.

Also, I agree with everything you've said about Tybalt. ♥️

What is grief, if not love persevering?

Grief is just love with no place to go.
gali

Post by gali »

I am also in the middle of chapter 10. As suspected, Connor went back to his family, at least temporarily. If he has to choose sides, it is obvious what his decision will be. Tybalt has his issues too, though, disappearing as he was.

Lol, it is funny that Tybalt can't abide cars. I am glad he is back, too!

I am curious about what Luideag has cooked as well. I hope Toby won't be changed into a fish...
A retired Admin/Mod

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
gali

Post by gali »

@Gravy, @hsimone where are you in the book? I am halfway through and enjoy it.
A retired Admin/Mod

Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

Post by Gravy »

I haven't been able to read.

What is grief, if not love persevering?

Grief is just love with no place to go.
gali

Post by gali »

Gravy wrote: 07 Jun 2021, 22:35 I haven't been able to read.
I understand. Don't worry about it. :romance-grouphug:
A retired Admin/Mod

gali

Post by gali »

I finished the book and loved it. There were some developments that left me speechless, but I will wait for you guys to finish it.
A retired Admin/Mod

Heidi M Simone

Post by Heidi M Simone »

gali wrote: 08 Jun 2021, 10:12 I finished the book and loved it. There were some developments that left me speechless, but I will wait for you guys to finish it.
I just finished chapter 12.

I'm glad you loved it because I feel a bit unmotivated to continue. I have a few reasons why..

1 - I feel like the set up for this book is very similar to the previous (going to a party, getting all fancy, something terrible happens/almost happens, then it's up to Toby to save the day; even the bopping around from place-to-place and back again I feel is a bit repetitive and tiring).

2 - I don't feel like I'm learning anything about any of the characters. It almost feels like the author cares more about the plot than character development at this point.

3 - Tybalt seems a little different to me now. I don't know if it's all the joking/laughing or what, but something feels different.

4 - It could also be that I've the first few fairly close to one another and now I want something a bit a different.

However, if you say that you loved it, gali, and that there were some developments that left you speechless, I'm willing to continue.

I'll keep you posted!
Heidi

gali

Post by gali »

hsimone wrote: 09 Jun 2021, 09:43
gali wrote: 08 Jun 2021, 10:12 I finished the book and loved it. There were some developments that left me speechless, but I will wait for you guys to finish it.
I just finished chapter 12.

I'm glad you loved it because I feel a bit unmotivated to continue. I have a few reasons why..

1 - I feel like the set up for this book is very similar to the previous (going to a party, getting all fancy, something terrible happens/almost happens, then it's up to Toby to save the day; even the bopping around from place-to-place and back again I feel is a bit repetitive and tiring).

2 - I don't feel like I'm learning anything about any of the characters. It almost feels like the author cares more about the plot than character development at this point.

3 - Tybalt seems a little different to me now. I don't know if it's all the joking/laughing or what, but something feels different.

4 - It could also be that I've the first few fairly close to one another and now I want something a bit a different.

However, if you say that you loved it, gali, and that there were some developments that left you speechless, I'm willing to continue.

I'll keep you posted!
I agree it seems a bit repetitive. Since I took a long break between this book and the others, it didn't bother me.

After the party, the pace picks up and it gets better. I agree the emphasis is more on the plot than on character development, but there is a bit of character development as well.

Tybalt became a bit more human and caring, so maybe he seems a little different.

I think the ending will surprise you. I will wait for your updates. :)
A retired Admin/Mod

Heidi M Simone

Post by Heidi M Simone »

So, I'm about 70% in and you were right, the plot does pick up some, which I'm glad about!

The night-haunts scene was perfect! It had such a weird combination of eerie and comfort at the same time.

Poor Toby - her daughter was taken. I was wondering when Gillian would become affected by Toby's dangerous lifestyle and it happened. I hope the poor girl isn't going to be too traumatized learning about the Fae world...

Tybalt is such an interesting character, and yes, I can see his differences as him being more human and caring. He seems like such a sweet person/cat.

I LOVED the Seamist visit! I wish we could've stayed there longer and explore more of this underwater world.

Can't wait to continue and see how the author ends this book!
Heidi

gali

Post by gali »

hsimone wrote: 13 Jun 2021, 14:21 So, I'm about 70% in and you were right, the plot does pick up some, which I'm glad about!

The night-haunts scene was perfect! It had such a weird combination of eerie and comfort at the same time.

Poor Toby - her daughter was taken. I was wondering when Gillian would become affected by Toby's dangerous lifestyle and it happened. I hope the poor girl isn't going to be too traumatized learning about the Fae world...

Tybalt is such an interesting character, and yes, I can see his differences as him being more human and caring. He seems like such a sweet person/cat.

I LOVED the Seamist visit! I wish we could've stayed there longer and explore more of this underwater world.

Can't wait to continue and see how the author ends this book!
I am glad you like it better now. :)

I loved the night-haunts scene as well.

The Seamist world is wonderful! Maybe it will be explored some more in the next books.

The ending will blow you away. I certainly didn't expect it!
A retired Admin/Mod

Heidi M Simone

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Oh my goodness!! I just finished the book and the ending was so unexpected in so many ways!
  • Connor dying? What?! I wanted Toby to be with Tybalt, but not at the expanse of Connor's life! Especially when he was trying to save Gillian...poor Connor, poor Toby. What an amazing person. Now, I feel horrible in not wanting them to be together (thank you Seanan McGuire for making me care about these characters even more! :) )
  • Gillian having the choice to be part of the fae world or be human? Didn't see that one coming. Guess I should've known that eventually she would have the choice, but I didn't even see her kidnapping happening. I feel bad that she chose human for Toby's sake, but that part wasn't surprising
  • So happy that Dean gets to have Toby's land and be the bridge between the land and sea fae worlds! I bet he's going to great!
  • Luideag was a mother? And her vengeance for her children is coming within a year? Man, I can't wait to learn more about this plot point!
  • Now, the biggest of them all - May is Dare's night haunt?? Oh my goodness. How beautiful is that? I love that so much! I can't wait to see if we get to see their conversation when Toby tells May that she knows the truth and I wonder if we'll see a shift in their relationship.
Gosh, whatever repetitiveness I felt toward the first part of the book doesn't even matter! The author always seem to throw us in such awesome loops and reveal such great and new information that makes me super excited for the next one in the series!

By the way, I loved the inclusion of Muir Woods! My husband and I went their when we visited San Francisco a few years back and I loved exploring it! We have a magnet from there, and my little one loves to look and play with it! :D
Heidi

gali

Post by gali »

hsimone wrote: 16 Jun 2021, 13:43 Oh my goodness!! I just finished the book and the ending was so unexpected in so many ways!
  • Connor dying? What?! I wanted Toby to be with Tybalt, but not at the expanse of Connor's life! Especially when he was trying to save Gillian...poor Connor, poor Toby. What an amazing person. Now, I feel horrible in not wanting them to be together (thank you Seanan McGuire for making me care about these characters even more! :) )
  • Gillian having the choice to be part of the fae world or be human? Didn't see that one coming. Guess I should've known that eventually she would have the choice, but I didn't even see her kidnapping happening. I feel bad that she chose human for Toby's sake, but that part wasn't surprising
  • So happy that Dean gets to have Toby's land and be the bridge between the land and sea fae worlds! I bet he's going to great!
  • Luideag was a mother? And her vengeance for her children is coming within a year? Man, I can't wait to learn more about this plot point!
  • Now, the biggest of them all - May is Dare's night haunt?? Oh my goodness. How beautiful is that? I love that so much! I can't wait to see if we get to see their conversation when Toby tells May that she knows the truth and I wonder if we'll see a shift in their relationship.
Gosh, whatever repetitiveness I felt toward the first part of the book doesn't even matter! The author always seem to throw us in such awesome loops and reveal such great and new information that makes me super excited for the next one in the series!

By the way, I loved the inclusion of Muir Woods! My husband and I went their when we visited San Francisco a few years back and I loved exploring it! We have a magnet from there, and my little one loves to look and play with it! :D
I am glad you liked it and well put! I like the way you sum up things. :)

Poor Connor indeed! I didn't expect it. The author found an easy way to get rid of Connor... :eusa-think:

Poor Toby, too! Not only she lost Connor, she won't see her daughter as well.

I really like Luideag and May, and I can't wait to learn more about them as well.

The author sure is creative and talented!

You visited Muir Woods?? Cool!
A retired Admin/Mod

Return to “Read-a-long forum”