Read-a-long of Circe by Madeline Miller

Members of the forum read the same book at the same time and discuss it.
Warning: discussions here will contain spoilers.
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading: Beyond the Wand
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: The Movie Chair by Shari Borkin
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Re: Read-a-long of Circe by Madeline Miller

Post by Heidi M Simone »

gali wrote: 07 May 2020, 23:55
hsimone wrote: 07 May 2020, 15:31 So...I've made it to the halfway point, and I'm struggling to continue. Not sure if this is for me. Partly because of the mythology tied in (since I don't know a ton of them), but also I'm getting a bit tired of her being on the island.

Does something epic happen later on or is it just the same as it has been (where there's some excitement, then it's just her on the island again)?
Too bad. If you don't enjoy it, you should not force yourself to read it. I loved the book and couldn't stop reading. Even though she is on the island, there are some surprising developments, and she will leave the island at some point.

Where are you in the book? There is some excitement when she gets new visitors.
I'm at the part where Odysseus and his crew are staying with Circe on the island. She turned his crew to pigs, then turned them back after she spoke with Odysseus. Are these the new visitors or are there more later?

It's good to know that she will leave the island at some point! I think I'm going to step away from the book for now and then maybe come back to it.
Heidi

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
Heidi M Simone

Post by Heidi M Simone »

hsimone wrote: 07 May 2020, 15:31 So...I've made it to the halfway point, and I'm struggling to continue. Not sure if this is for me. Partly because of the mythology tied in (since I don't know a ton of them), but also I'm getting a bit tired of her being on the island.

Does something epic happen later on or is it just the same as it has been (where there's some excitement, then it's just her on the island again)?
Too bad. If you don't enjoy it, you should not force yourself to read it. I loved the book and couldn't stop reading. Even though she is on the island, there are some surprising developments, and she will leave the island at some point.

I'm at the part where Odysseus and his crew are staying with Circe on the island (middle of Chapter 16). She turned his crew to pigs, then turned them back after she spoke with Odysseus. Are these the new visitors or are there more later?

It's good to know that she will leave the island at some point! I think I'm going to step away from the book for now and then maybe come back to it.
Heidi

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

hsimone wrote: 09 May 2020, 08:07

I'm at the part where Odysseus and his crew are staying with Circe on the island (middle of Chapter 16). She turned his crew to pigs, then turned them back after she spoke with Odysseus. Are these the new visitors or are there more later?

Those are some of the visitors, but more will come.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Heidi M Simone

Post by Heidi M Simone »

gali wrote: 09 May 2020, 12:23

Ah okay. Sounds good. For now, I'm taking a break, but I'll let you know if/when I go back to it. :handgestures-thumbup:
Heidi

gali

Post by gali »

hsimone wrote: 10 May 2020, 09:51
gali wrote: 09 May 2020, 12:23

Ah okay. Sounds good. For now, I'm taking a break, but I'll let you know if/when I go back to it. :handgestures-thumbup:
:handgestures-thumbup:
A retired Admin/Mod

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

Post by Gravy »

gali wrote: 08 May 2020, 23:58
Gravy wrote: 08 May 2020, 23:15 Okay, as I'm a bit behind, I'm not reading above comments, just to be safe.

I'm a fair way in (mortals have just shown up to be cleansed), and I'm enjoying it so far.
Sadly, the slump is still strong, so it's slow going.

Just wanted to reassure y'all that I am reading it, and I haven't forgot about this. :lol2:
I am glad you enjoy it. Where are you in the book?
I was just at the part where Medea got to the island.

I'm now just after she's had her son.

Crossing my fingers I can get more read soon. :)

What is grief, if not love persevering?

Grief is just love with no place to go.
gali

Post by gali »

Gravy wrote: 16 May 2020, 23:02
gali wrote: 08 May 2020, 23:58
Gravy wrote: 08 May 2020, 23:15 Okay, as I'm a bit behind, I'm not reading above comments, just to be safe.

I'm a fair way in (mortals have just shown up to be cleansed), and I'm enjoying it so far.
Sadly, the slump is still strong, so it's slow going.

Just wanted to reassure y'all that I am reading it, and I haven't forgot about this. :lol2:
I am glad you enjoy it. Where are you in the book?
I was just at the part where Medea got to the island.

I'm now just after she's had her son.

Crossing my fingers I can get more read soon. :)
I loved the part with the son. The description was on the spot! Enjoy! :)
A retired Admin/Mod

Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

Post by Gravy »

Okay, so, I finished it (FINALLY!).

I really enjoyed it. I loved the ending.

Spoilers:

Trygon was awesome.
I hate her whole entire family.
The ending was both really weird and really satisfying.

I am now reading so little that any reading is causing eye strain. *lol*

What is grief, if not love persevering?

Grief is just love with no place to go.
gali

Post by gali »

Gravy wrote: 25 May 2020, 21:35 Okay, so, I finished it (FINALLY!).

I really enjoyed it. I loved the ending.

Spoilers:

Trygon was awesome.
I hate her whole entire family.
The ending was both really weird and really satisfying.

I am now reading so little that any reading is causing eye strain. *lol*
Great! I also loved the book and agree with you. :)
A retired Admin/Mod

NDeMeer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ndemeer.html
Latest Review: Sormara The Evil Tome by Sandra L. Reel

Post by NDeMeer »

I read this book on holiday a few months ago; right when you all were reading it too, actually. Very much enjoyed it! The writing style is very engaging and Circe as a character is so intriguing. It's been a while since I studied the classics in high school, but it's always nice to learn more about it. I loved recognising the different gods and other characters throughout the book.
Happy reading! :techie-studyingbrown:
gali

Post by gali »

NDeMeer wrote: 17 Jul 2020, 11:06 I read this book on holiday a few months ago; right when you all were reading it too, actually. Very much enjoyed it! The writing style is very engaging and Circe as a character is so intriguing. It's been a while since I studied the classics in high school, but it's always nice to learn more about it. I loved recognising the different gods and other characters throughout the book.
I agree, the writing style is engaging and Circe is intriguing. I also loved recognizing the different gods and characters.
A retired Admin/Mod

unamilagra
Currently Reading: into the willd
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unamilagra.html
Latest Review: Powerballs by Jimmy Clifton
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by unamilagra »

I missed the read-along of this book, but I just finished reading it a few days ago. Great story! I always like retellings, and a mythology retelling was something I haven't read before. I loved the first half, the second half was a bit long for me, but I thought the ending was perfect and left me feeling very happy for Circe.
gali

Post by gali »

unamilagra wrote: 22 Jul 2020, 17:39 I missed the read-along of this book, but I just finished reading it a few days ago. Great story! I always like retellings, and a mythology retelling was something I haven't read before. I loved the first half, the second half was a bit long for me, but I thought the ending was perfect and left me feeling very happy for Circe.
I loved the entire book and agree about the ending. :)
A retired Admin/Mod

Return to “Read-a-long forum”