Read-a-long of Come Tumbling Down

Members of the forum read the same book at the same time and discuss it.
Warning: discussions here will contain spoilers.
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading: Beyond the Wand
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: The Movie Chair by Shari Borkin
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Re: Read-a-long of Come Tumbling Down

Post by Heidi M Simone »

gali wrote: 22 Feb 2020, 00:21
Gravy wrote: 21 Feb 2020, 22:45 (Just found the info to the next book. New character (I think? I don't recognize the name, definitely not one of the main characters). Title is Across the Green Grass Fields. Out next January.)

Edit:
(Confirmed new character. Series contracted through book 8 (so far), so basically (fingers crossed nothing happens to change it) 3 more books guaranteed. :happy-partydance: )
Yay! Sounds good! :)
I agree! So exciting! :D
Heidi

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

Post by Gravy »

@hsimone

Have you finished it yet?
Pronouns: She/Her

What is grief, if not love persevering?

Grief is just love with no place to go.
Heidi M Simone

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Gravy wrote: 24 Feb 2020, 23:58 @hsimone

Not yet, but I'm getting closer! I have about 70 pages left...
Heidi

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
Gravy

Post by Gravy »

hsimone wrote: 25 Feb 2020, 19:56

I can't wait to hear your thoughts! :D

gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

Gravy wrote: 27 Feb 2020, 23:02
hsimone wrote: 25 Feb 2020, 19:56

I can't wait to hear your thoughts! :D
Me too! :D
A retired Admin/Mod

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Heidi M Simone

Post by Heidi M Simone »

So, I've finally finished and I thought it was good! I don't think this is my favorite in the series, but I was able to enjoy fairly well. I really liked Sumi's light-hearted moments throughout the book, but I did find Jack to be a bit annoying sometimes. It's hard to pinpoint why I didn't like her as much as I liked her in other books, but she wasn't one of my favorites here.

It was nice to see the gang in the Moors and seeing them experiencing it for the first time, and it's a good thing that Cora and Kade survived because I would've been upset if they both died I would've been upset.

As far as the ending is concerned, I wasn't sure if I was 100% satisfied. Though I'm not for one dragged-out fighting/action sequences in books, I felt defeating the vampire and killing Jill seemed a bit too easy. What do you think?

Overall, I enjoyed reading McGuire's very unique worlds and it was nice to visit it again, so I gave the book a 3 out of 4 stars. :techie-studyingbrown:
Heidi

gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

hsimone wrote: 08 Mar 2020, 11:25 So, I've finally finished and I thought it was good! I don't think this is my favorite in the series, but I was able to enjoy fairly well. I really liked Sumi's light-hearted moments throughout the book, but I did find Jack to be a bit annoying sometimes. It's hard to pinpoint why I didn't like her as much as I liked her in other books, but she wasn't one of my favorites here.

It was nice to see the gang in the Moors and seeing them experiencing it for the first time, and it's a good thing that Cora and Kade survived because I would've been upset if they both died I would've been upset.

As far as the ending is concerned, I wasn't sure if I was 100% satisfied. Though I'm not for one dragged-out fighting/action sequences in books, I felt defeating the vampire and killing Jill seemed a bit too easy. What do you think?

Overall, I enjoyed reading McGuire's very unique worlds and it was nice to visit it again, so I gave the book a 3 out of 4 stars. :techie-studyingbrown:
I also gave it 3 out of 4 stars. I liked the book, but not as much as I liked the other books. I agree it was less good than the other books in the series.

Jack was a bit annoying at times, not to mention selfish. I agree that the ending was a bit rushed, and the conflict too easily solved. Still, I enjoyed it and will read the next one.
A retired Admin/Mod

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Gravy

Post by Gravy »

I actually really enjoy Jack (though I get what you're both talking about).
I love The Moores and I'm hoping we get to revisit them at some point (though I'm not sure how that would happen). I was legitimately worried about everyone, and was very glad that we didn't lose anyone.

I got a genuine kick out of Jack's 'Mad Scientist' cackle. We didn't get that in either of the other two books about Jack and Jill.

Sumi is always one of my favorites.

I agree that the culmination was a little quick and easy.

Heidi M Simone

Post by Heidi M Simone »

gali wrote: 09 Mar 2020, 07:02
hsimone wrote: 08 Mar 2020, 11:25 So, I've finally finished and I thought it was good! I don't think this is my favorite in the series, but I was able to enjoy fairly well. I really liked Sumi's light-hearted moments throughout the book, but I did find Jack to be a bit annoying sometimes. It's hard to pinpoint why I didn't like her as much as I liked her in other books, but she wasn't one of my favorites here.

I also gave it 3 out of 4 stars. I liked the book, but not as much as I liked the other books. I agree it was less good than the other books in the series.

Jack was a bit annoying at times, not to mention selfish. I agree that the ending was a bit rushed, and the conflict too easily solved. Still, I enjoyed it and will read the next one.
It's good to hear that we had similar thoughts. Though I agree with you, I would definitely read the next one when it comes out. :)
Heidi

Heidi M Simone

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Gravy wrote: 10 Mar 2020, 23:35 I actually really enjoy Jack (though I get what you're both talking about).
I love The Moores and I'm hoping we get to revisit them at some point (though I'm not sure how that would happen). I was legitimately worried about everyone, and was very glad that we didn't lose anyone.

I got a genuine kick out of Jack's 'Mad Scientist' cackle. We didn't get that in either of the other two books about Jack and Jill.

Sumi is always one of my favorites.

I agree that the culmination was a little quick and easy.
It's interesting because someone else (a book blogger) mentioned that she loved Jack, too. I guess it just depends on the person. Glad you enjoyed her character, though :tiphat:

Though the ending could have been better, I do look forward to the next one in the series!
Heidi

Return to “Read-a-long forum”