Read-a-long of "The Conference of the Birds"

Members of the forum read the same book at the same time and discuss it.
Warning: discussions here will contain spoilers.
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Read-a-long of "The Conference of the Birds"

Post by gali »

Read-a-long of "The Conference of the Birds" (Miss Peregrine's Peculiar Children #5) by Ransom Riggs.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
gali

Post by gali »

@gregs317 where you are in the book? I just finished chapter three and enjoy the book much better than the 4th one. The pace is much faster for one, there is a lot of action, and there is not a dull moment. Even though the book picks from the point the last one ended, I had no trouble following up. Admittingly, it took me time (and reading of the 4th book's summary) to understand why Jacob and Noor are pursued, who is Leo, and why he is after Noor. I hope I got it right... I like her ability to control light. What do you think about the prophecy aspect?
A retired Admin/Mod

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
gregs317
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by gregs317 »

Wow, I didn't realize you were up to chapter 3 already, lol. It's not a problem - I was a little confused when I first read chapter 1. Actually, I had to go back and re-read it since I was kinda tired the first time.

But now I have a better understanding of what's happening, I think. I was really happy to see Jacob reunited with 2 of his peculiar friends. I will try to get more caught up tonight - before I get too sleepy, lol. ttyl
gregs317

Post by gregs317 »

Hi, just wanted to update you quick about my progress. I just finished reading chapter 5, and I am getting more and more drawn into this book.

It was great seeing Jacob reunited with his peculiar friends and Miss Peregrine. I also enjoyed getting to know who 'Noor' is, and her role in the story. I loved the part where the friends git out the ancient books and maps etc. Also, the contrast between ancient London and the modern-day city. The author's details about the townspeople and other characters is amazing, imo.

I am also enjoying learning (slowly) why Jacob and Emma decided not to be a romantic couple. And does this mean Jacob and Noor will be a love item? Things seem to be going in that direction. I also love descriptions about the time loops and traveling. That's all for now. Can't wait to hear your thoughts, so far.
gali

Post by gali »

gregs317 wrote: 26 Jan 2020, 20:06 Hi, just wanted to update you quick about my progress. I just finished reading chapter 5, and I am getting more and more drawn into this book.

It was great seeing Jacob reunited with his peculiar friends and Miss Peregrine. I also enjoyed getting to know who 'Noor' is, and her role in the story. I loved the part where the friends git out the ancient books and maps etc. Also, the contrast between ancient London and the modern-day city. The author's details about the townspeople and other characters is amazing, imo.

I am also enjoying learning (slowly) why Jacob and Emma decided not to be a romantic couple. And does this mean Jacob and Noor will be a love item? Things seem to be going in that direction. I also love descriptions about the time loops and traveling. That's all for now. Can't wait to hear your thoughts, so far.
I also finished that chapter and agree with you.

I am nor sure how I feel about the breakup between Jacob and Emma and the developed relationships between Jacob and Noor. It seemed the author just separated the two so he could be free for Noor. Suddenly she is not over Abe, Jacob's grandfather?? It is a bit abrupt.

I love Noor's ability and her history was interesting. I wonder if they find V in this book, as they are now off to America on another mission (and without Noor). I believe a 6th book is planned as well. I have a feeling this book will end on a cliffhanger, more the pity.

How do you feel about Jacob's parents? I didn't like their attitude. He is their only son, and they treated him badly before their memory was wiped.

The prophecy aspect is interesting, and I wonder who are the other six peculiars. I have a feeling Jacob will be one of them.

Btw, have you noticed that the title of this book is taken from a Persian poem? I found it when I googled the title.
A retired Admin/Mod

gregs317

Post by gregs317 »

I didn't know about the'persian poem' aspect, but that is very interesting. I'm not surprised tho - there are 1 or 2 words that I've never even heard of before, lol.
I like learning the names of the different birds. Sometimes I'll do a search: what is an avocet? What does a Peregrine falcon look like?

I wasn't aware of Jacob's parents' bad attitude toward him at first. I didn't read hardly any of book 4, to be honest. But this book is doing a good job of filling in the missing information.

You're right - I am pretty sure I read about this being part of a 2nd trilogy in this series. Anyway, I think that the author's creativity and gift of writing is great - I am truly enjoying this series - with the exception of book 4.
Milukee
Favorite Book: Man Mission
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18

Post by Milukee »

I.find this to be very interesting
gali

Post by gali »

gregs317 wrote: 27 Jan 2020, 02:22 I didn't know about the'persian poem' aspect, but that is very interesting. I'm not surprised tho - there are 1 or 2 words that I've never even heard of before, lol.
I like learning the names of the different birds. Sometimes I'll do a search: what is an avocet? What does a Peregrine falcon look like?

I wasn't aware of Jacob's parents' bad attitude toward him at first. I didn't read hardly any of book 4, to be honest. But this book is doing a good job of filling in the missing information.

You're right - I am pretty sure I read about this being part of a 2nd trilogy in this series. Anyway, I think that the author's creativity and gift of writing is great - I am truly enjoying this series - with the exception of book 4.
I have read a few chapters from the 4th book, so I knew about that. Indeed, the author does a good job recapping info.

Where are you in the book? I am about to start chapter 10. There were a lot of interesting developments, one of them is concerning Caul. I am not sure how I feel about that. There is more to the prophecy than meets the eye.
A retired Admin/Mod

gregs317

Post by gregs317 »

I'm just about to start chapter 8. The story keeps drawing me in more and more. I love the traveling aspect of it, buses and subways and time- loop elevators, lol.

I finally found out what happened romantically between Jacob and Emma. Can you imagine calling someone who is living in a period of 20-30 years ago, wow.

This author's creativity amazes me. I'm trying to catch-up to you, so no spoilers plz.
gali

Post by gali »

I finished the book and loved it! I will wait for you to finish it before commenting on it.
A retired Admin/Mod

gregs317

Post by gregs317 »

Thanks. I just finished chapter 10 and should finish the book in a few days. I will post my thoughts as soon as I'm done.
gali

Post by gali »

gregs317 wrote: 29 Jan 2020, 15:08 Thanks. I just finished chapter 10 and should finish the book in a few days. I will post my thoughts as soon as I'm done.
No rush. Enjoy! :)
A retired Admin/Mod

gregs317

Post by gregs317 »

Hi, I finished the book a few days ago but it was a somewhat busy weekend.
Anyway, I thoroughly enjoyed the ending - it was great to see Fiona get rescued. The battle scene was very cool - I love the vast variety of characters fighting together on teams and against the others.

The western town/tornado scene was great, I thought. The song was creepy and cool at the same time.

And the epilogue left us curious and wanting more, didn't it? Who was that girl and who was she telephoning? Also, why was there an ymbryne landing on her window? Hmm lots of questions.

What are some of your thoughts about the ending?
gali

Post by gali »

I agree with you.

I thought the ending was a bit abrupt and left us hanging. I eagerly wait for the next book. One thing I didn't like with all the books in the series that they have cliffhanger endings

I like Jacob and Noor but I thought they were silly to go look for V on their own. The reveal that V was also a ymbryne surprised me. I liked that Fiona is alive. albeit without her tongue. Speaking of that, the ingredients for resurrection soup were gross.

What did you think about the returning of Caul? Just when we thought we got rid of him...
A retired Admin/Mod

gregs317

Post by gregs317 »

But the cliffhangers are what keep us wanting more (of the story). They are used to ensure that we will want more and want to buy the next book.

Jacob and Noor's quest may have been a bit foolish to attempt on their own. But that's what made it more of an interesting adventure, in my opinion.

idk how I feel about Caul's return - I have mixed feelings about that.

One last thing that I enjoy about these books is the ymbrynes. I love how they all confer with each other - kind of like a secret society.

Return to “Read-a-long forum”